Gen V swap questions.... - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 42 Old 03-09-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Iíve had the tr3160 in a gt350 and it was pretty nice, but that tr6060(zl1) is my favorite manual tranny of all time. I still think i want an auto in my JK, but that tranny is very smooth
Yeah I have seen that. I'm thinking if I want all the benefit of the Gen V motor, I should probably run the transmission that it was designed for. I love driving my manual Jeep but sometimes you just need to swap things up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 42 Old 03-09-2019, 05:47 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrofpuppets View Post
That's with motor and transmission. I figure I can recoup some of it from selling my 3.8/trans as well as my Rubicon transfer case.

Whew! Scared me for a sec...i took a stroll over to another thread and the premium kit to install was just short of 12k. Took a little wind out of my sails lol. I sold my bike today, but still am willing to only spend so much on this project, as i know axles and a bunch of other shit are just around the corner directly after. I wonít get much, if anything, for my junk with 125k on the ticker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #28 of 42 Old 03-10-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Whew! Scared me for a sec...i took a stroll over to another thread and the premium kit to install was just short of 12k. Took a little wind out of my sails lol. I sold my bike today, but still am willing to only spend so much on this project, as i know axles and a bunch of other shit are just around the corner directly after. I wonít get much, if anything, for my junk with 125k on the ticker.
Yeah, I think around 14k for the swap is my max I'm willing to spend. That's for everything I want to do, swap, gears, heat reduction hood etc. I'll be handling the install myself and I'll probably have to search for a while to find an engine/trans at the price point I'm willing to pay. That's another reason for doing the 5.3 LT. They make so many of them that the price has come down quite a bit. Finding with an 8 speed trans is going to be hard I suspect. Since I don't have access to a lift I'll also be doing the install with the body on, which will add a certain level of difficulty I'm sure.

jvandy50 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 42 Old 03-10-2019, 06:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here's a couple swap threads that were done with the body on. Gen4's but should give an idea. Neither one said it was any big deal.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/engin...ld-thread.html

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modif...-pictures.html

Kevin
post #30 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Wheeler

I did my swap (l83-6L80) as a body on. The hardest part was getting the Jeep motor out. One other problem I ran into doing
the swap that I don't see mentioned anywhere is that I could not get the L83 in place without the intake manifold contacting the firewall, no matter where I moved the motor/trans on it's mounts. I ended up using a cheap 1 inch body lift to give me
enough clearance.
jvandy50 and mstrofpuppets like this.
post #31 of 42 Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_fender View Post
I did my swap (l83-6L80) as a body on. The hardest part was getting the Jeep motor out. One other problem I ran into doing

the swap that I don't see mentioned anywhere is that I could not get the L83 in place without the intake manifold contacting the firewall, no matter where I moved the motor/trans on it's mounts. I ended up using a cheap 1 inch body lift to give me

enough clearance.
Picture of the finished project? Also whose install kit did you use? This is the type of info I like to hear about! Thanks for sharing.

post #32 of 42 Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM
Wheeler

I used a Motech kit.
mstrofpuppets likes this.
post #33 of 42 Old 03-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Wheeler

I would like to see some pictures of the radiator hoses, vacuum lines, ac lines and transmission lines.

I’m in the middle of a gen V swap and some parts got lost in the importation process. Some detail pictures would be real helpful.
mstrofpuppets likes this.
post #34 of 42 Old 03-14-2019, 04:16 PM
Wheeler

I'll try to get some pics up, but the hose connections are pretty straight forward. On the radiator hose don't forget the adapter
to connect the steam line into the (lower hose) suction into the water pump. On the vacuum lines, use the L83 belt driven vacuum pump and loose the Jeep electric vacuum pump. The only place ithe vacuum line goes is to your brake booster. I used one of the Jeep check valves and a new piece of 3/8 inch (-6) hose. The A/C lines use the Motech modified hoses and the adapter they supply to connect to the GM compressor. I reused my old Jeep condenser (Motech has a new condenser that they recommend). Be sure to install the firewall hose connection before you install the L83. The a/c hoses run from the firewall to the condenser connection and from there over the top of the radiator, then down and back to the compressor. For the transmission cooler lines I used an afermarket adapter that converts the trans lines to AN-6 hose (3/8 inch) and used a B&M Trans cooler that is recommended by Motech.
post #35 of 42 Old 04-20-2019, 02:04 PM

Im Doing a Gen V L83 swap. I bought my easy motor mount kit from motech. But am thinking of buying my harness from Howell. Have any of you ever used there harness?
post #36 of 42 Old 05-28-2019, 03:22 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_fender View Post
I'll try to get some pics up, but the hose connections are pretty straight forward. On the radiator hose don't forget the adapter
to connect the steam line into the (lower hose) suction into the water pump.
I know this thread is a couple of months old but after reading through it I need to clarify some hose routing myself. I have the Gen V 5.3 and due to the lack of information from Motech and web searches I took it on myself to route the hoses as I saw fit. The pic below shows the thermostat cover outlet going to the driver side radiator upper outlet with the steam pipe vent attached mid way. The lower pump outlet goes across to the passenger side radiator inlet. It's very awkward as I need that space for future a/c line(s). I'm starting to think Motech might have sent me the wrong CFS 42mm radiator. It seems mine has the same configuration as the C&R radiator is showing for the original 3.8 V6. What configuration are some of you other guys seeing with the Gen V?

Last edited by WNbirdman; 05-30-2019 at 01:53 PM.
post #37 of 42 Old 05-28-2019, 06:46 PM
Wheeler

Here’s mine. I went through all these same problems with my Motech kit. Seems like they have used several different configurations and haven’t documented the final setup.

There’s a solid tube that goes in both upper and lower radiator hoses. Use stock jk radiator hoses and cut to fit.

Sorry, my picture doesn’t show the hoses well, I’ll get a better shot tomorrow.

I do not have space for the overflow bottle. I can’t get it to fit anywhere.
Attached Images

post #38 of 42 Old 05-29-2019, 05:54 AM
Rock God

I shipped my Jeep from Michigan to Motech (Vegas) early 2015 for an LS3/6L80 swap. I had Motech do it because I'd yet to see a person doing any swap themselves without issues (still haven't by the way.) Flew out to Vegas in late March to pick it up. Drove to Moab, wheeled EJS and drove home to Michigan. The swap was flawless and still no problems 4 years later. You won't find anybody more knowledgeable or helpful than Robbie who owns Motech.
Texas_Jester likes this.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
post #39 of 42 Old 05-29-2019, 06:42 AM
Wheeler

Pictures
Attached Images

post #40 of 42 Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 PM
Wheeler

I thought I had it bad, you had to do some major routing. I'm curious, what radiator is that? Mine is the CFS 3466 which is for my 09' with 3.8 engine. I think there is a better solution with radiator outlet placement than what we both have. I went with the silicone hoses which took a lot more splicing. Again, I would like to run the outlet hose from the pump under the fan rather than above to open up space. BTW, you might free up space for that overflow tank by moving your E-92 and TCM. I just made a bracket to secure the tank.
Attached Images

post #41 of 42 Old 05-29-2019, 07:09 PM
Wheeler

I got the radiator in the Motech kit. Not sure what it is.

I had to move the ecm forward because I have the J8 master cylinder which pushed it all up.

Never thought about putting the bottle at an angle, I’ll take another look. So far I’m just letting it puke out it only runs about an inch low.
post #42 of 42 Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 AM
Wheeler

I replied to your PM, but I can't tell if it sent or not. Let me know if you didn't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNbirdman View Post
I thought I had it bad, you had to do some major routing. I'm curious, what radiator is that? Mine is the CFS 3466 which is for my 09' with 3.8 engine. I think there is a better solution with radiator outlet placement than what we both have. I went with the silicone hoses which took a lot more splicing. Again, I would like to run the outlet hose from the pump under the fan rather than above to open up space. BTW, you might free up space for that overflow tank by moving your E-92 and TCM. I just made a bracket to secure the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode