2009 JK Motech Beta Kit Road Tests - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-21-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2009 JK Motech Beta Kit Road Tests

Many of you guys have done the Motech DIY beta kit. I am finally driving my ride and working out bugs. I added a Kenwood DMX905s 2din head for both tunes and digital gauges with the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module. I thought the iData module to the Kenwood would allow the 2015 steering wheel swap with radio buttons to link but found that their module still goes through my 2009 TIPM so I'll work those issues out later. I'm currently using the accuracy of the iData speedometer gauge on the Kenwood as my Jeep OEM speedometer is reading about 5 to10 MPH low depending on speed. Robbie recomended the AEV ProCal but the $170 dipswitch OBD plugin doesn't appeal. Has anyone else dealt with this particular issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-22-2019, 03:26 AM
Rock God

I got the ProCal from Robbie to adjust my tire size. It's simple and probably the cheapest unit on the market to do it with. Set the dip switches to the desired tire size, turn the key to on, plug in the ProCal, horn beeps, turn key off, remove Procal, cycle the key on/off, done.

I've had Superchips, Hypertech, Diablo, Procal tuners. I prefer the simplicity and low cost of the ProCal.

LS3 2007 JKU X - Red Rock, 2012 JKU Rubicon - Deep Cherry Red, 2001 TJ - Black
post #3 of 11 Old 02-22-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Chip, found an unlocked Hypertech used on eBay so hopefully you had a good experience with yours. Next item will be my back up lights are not working. Robbie also gave me a wiring tip which I accomplished that provided power in Accessory switch position but backup's still not working (check engine light not set and codes are clear). Fuses are good and I can get the backups to toggle with my Autel 906TS through the Jeep OBD port. If anyone has troubleshot this issue please chime in. I will occasionally add pics of project and modifications which include:
)Gen V 5.3L w/8L90 trans
)Removing JK fuel tank and adding TJ fuel tank behind rear axle with access plate above tank for easy access
)True dual Flowmasters with crossover (including stock cats) dumped in front of rear axle
)Redline hood lifts with hood hinge reinforced plates and angles
)Fastback roll bar modification
)Fabricated front and rear tube bumpers with tow hooks on ends
)HID headlights with Bi-Xenon: Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0: including shrouds in stock headlight housing
)Polyurea body armor coating inside and out
)Modified to fit Wild Boar fiberglass fenders
Attached Images

Last edited by WNbirdman; 02-22-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-22-2019, 04:51 PM

I'm new here and am interested in this same question, I have the same issue with my backup lights. When did you get your kit from Robbie, did you get the mocan? Mine also will start in any gear.
I got the procal so I don't have that problem but am interested to know if yours will start in any gear.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-22-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I got the kit in 2017 as beta of course. I have the 5.3 with an 8 speed which took a bit longer to refine but Motech got it right and I'm very happy with the result. I do have the Mocan module. Mine will only start in neutral, not any moving gear.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-22-2019, 05:54 PM

So gen 5 or 4 ?mine will start in any gear weird.and backup lites don't work for some reason.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-23-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Made progress on utilizing the 2015 steering wheel cruise control buttons on my 09'. I know there has been a lot of discussion on the forums about adapting the 2012+ leather wheels to the earlier JK's and if you've done a Motech conversion with the Mocan it is easily doable. I could never get the C/C to work with the new wheel controls or the original 09' stalk splicing the orange Mocan wire to the either of the OEM Or/Vio or the Vio/Or C/C wires (including resetting Mocan dipswitch positions) , even after Robbie and I performed several troubleshooting attempts. He finally sent the Rostra module that plugs directly into the Mocan with gas pedal passthrough harness included. The C/C came alive with the 2015 steering wheel controls with the exception of the OEM Cancel button. It could be that feature is not included in the Rostra lineup but the brake pedal will cancel so no big deal. BTW, the 3/16" stainless plate on side of driver seat an experiment to see if typical cushion collapse can be avoided.
Attached Images

Last edited by WNbirdman; 04-23-2019 at 08:39 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 11:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What are your thoughts on the 8sd trans? I know it has a deep 1st gear.

Kevin
post #9 of 11 Old 04-24-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm impressed with the 8sd as it has excellent range. I've not done any off roading yet but takeoff is excellent on street (in light 2 door) while hwy gears search quite a bit from 6-8 at 70mph against wind on up and down hills. RPM at 70mph is about 1550 with my 3.73 gears. 7th gear seems about right at 1900rpm and MPG average about 16.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I do like the Redline Hood Lift Struts but there is an issue with the struts pushing the hood forward when closed which presents a problem with alignment, not to mention it looks goofy. I did a reinforcement upgrade to my hood hinge pedestals using 1/4" plate and 1/8" angles with 5/16" bolts/ rivnuts to secure. It may seem like overkill (and probably is) but there is absolutely no movement in the hinges. Something similar is required to overcome this issue.
Attached Images

post #11 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rivnut installation.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode