Transmission swap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-21-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Transmission swap

Okay, so I understand you guys are more gassers than diesel heads, I can respect that so this is my second post, with the 2008 jku, what is an easy transmission to swap that's happy with the computer? Will a chevy one work or? I'm more or less looking for something with better driveability than the 4th by 40 and never sweet eclipse transmission thats in it currently that has no power, as long as I can go at least 85 at top end I'm good, I hardly go over 70 unless I'm long road tripping, manual is desired but I've heard through the grapevine vine the computers are different for the 6speed jku standard and the 4speed auto jku
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-21-2019, 04:15 PM
Granite Guru

Not sure that I have seen anyone swap trans behind 3.8 or 3.6.

Before going LS/6L80 I did however let Mike at OSTdyno.com work his magic on the TCM for the 580 behind my 3.6 and was very impressed what he was able to do to make 40’s and 4.88’s work behind the buzzbox 6 cyl
post #3 of 6 Old 02-22-2019, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
Not sure that I have seen anyone swap trans behind 3.8 or 3.6.

Before going LS/6L80 I did however let Mike at OSTdyno.com work his magic on the TCM for the 580 behind my 3.6 and was very impressed what he was able to do to make 40’s and 4.88’s work behind the buzzbox 6 cyl

man.

THAT would be a great, interesting and popular thread were you ( or anyone) to document such TCM work in a Modified thread w/ info, details and images!

Do It!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 02-22-2019 at 05:04 AM. Reason: xtra words removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-22-2019, 07:29 AM
JKO Addict!

You can swap over to the stock manual but yes you will have to swap over the TCM as well. I know someone who has done a manual to auto conversion for the 3.8 that way.

As far as swapping in a different trans like the A580 or a GM one, I have never seen that happen but if you could make it work, you will be a Jeep god.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-22-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
You can swap over to the stock manual but yes you will have to swap over the TCM as well. I know someone who has done a manual to auto conversion for the 3.8 that way.

As far as swapping in a different trans like the A580 or a GM one, I have never seen that happen but if you could make it work, you will be a Jeep god.
A gm would be the most ideal but I'll do some more research, maybe do the dual computer system but at that point I might as well do the engine too I might settle for a manual transmission and just buy another computer, are the plugs different auto to standard?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-22-2019, 09:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRandomWrangler View Post
A gm would be the most ideal but I'll do some more research, maybe do the dual computer system but at that point I might as well do the engine too I might settle for a manual transmission and just buy another computer, are the plugs different auto to standard?
I honestly dont remember all the details. I think he had to get some different harnesses and I remember one of the computers needing a reflash but if you are dead set on a swap, I think this is the only really feasible one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode