4bt swap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By gt1guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

4bt swap

Okay so I'm new to the forum so I haven't explored every nook and cranny yet... But I would like to know if anyone has done a 4bt engine swap that didn't cost 20k, love the sound of a diesel but I don't like the 20k cost to get my cluster to operate and make the computer happy, also considering bypassing computer and all, just making a new cluster 4bt friendly but I've never tackled anything like this, many thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-28-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It's an 08' jku if that helps as far as computers go
post #3 of 19 Old 01-29-2019, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

It's not required but introducing yourself
and your rig on our Welcome Page thread
is sage etiquette, fwiw.
It's good to be acquainted to people when
asking them for help.

It's also cool to include what
references and/or Google searches
yielded no results for you so possible responders
know you've exhausted all data sources for
already documented modifications ...

I'm not policing ; just trying to get ya pointed
in right direction

Rodjk likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-29-2019, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Is this for off road only or do you plan to run down the highway? Emissions in your area? Pretty much anything electrical will run thru the ECU so if you want to ditch the computer everything you want will need to be rewired. I would just pull the dash and do aluminum with the gauges you want.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #5 of 19 Old 01-29-2019, 10:16 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

OP's quest is hopeless and sounds like the typical "all hat and no cattle" medium-duty diesel pickup truck owner that whines that diesel costs $4/gal.

Welcome to JKO.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-29-2019, 11:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Search. Read Dirtman's post. Read Dirtman's post again. Answer Dirtman's questions.
ndtguy likes this.

Kevin
post #7 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 07:13 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have never done it, but I looked into it for a bit. The easiest way would be to scrap every wire, every computer that Chrysler put in the Jeep, right down the the turn signals, windshield wipers and even the heat and A/C. Then start from scratch with analog gauges, and a custom dash. This is because the PCM and the TIPM control everything that your JK does, and they quite often need to talk to each other. The fact that this is a 100% mechanical engine is your problem. The JK relies on electronic everything to know what is happening, and you canít get that with a mechanical engine.

If you are dead set on a diesel the Cummins R2.8 would likely play nicer with the JK, but will be way more money as it is a new crate engine, plus it is electronically controlled.

In my opinion an LS 6.2L truck motor will have more torque at and just off idle than a diesel as the LS torque curve is fairly flat but peaks later, and a diesel is steeper, but peaked early. Plus the diesel doesnít have much power untill the turbo spools up where as an N/A LS will have power as soon as you hit the throttle. Plus there are several venders on here that specialize in LS swaps like Motec and RPM Extreme and can make everything work like normal.

We havenít even begun to scratch the surface on being emissions legal. You will need to be legal for the year of the engine or vehicle (whichever is newer) is now I believe it works in most jurisdictions. With a 4BT that will be your JK. This means you will need an EVAP system, which is computer controlled. That is just the start of the hassle for emissions.

If this Jeep isnít going to be licenced for the road, you have less to worry about and can just giv Ďer shit and rip all the Chrysler bullshit out and not look back, while having a cool JK buggy. If that is the case start a build thread here as we will want to see the progress.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #8 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 08:10 AM
Wheeler

I know a guy that did a 4bt swap in a Jeep TJ. It never performed even as good as the stock 4.0. It was fun and unique, but ultimately he LS swapped it.

My opinion, based on that experience, is to skip the 4BT. If you’re set on diesel move up to a 6BT or go to LS.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 10:54 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Conquistador brings up another good point about the 4BT in that it is a dog. They came with 105hp for pre Ď98 and 170hp after Ď98 with 268 and 420 ft/lbs respectively.

Another con to them is the weight of them. They can weigh 750-800lbs wet and a 6bt is about 1100lbs, where as an iron block V8 5.3L LS is about 500 lbs.

At the end of the day it is your Jeep and you are free to build it the way you want to.

post #10 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Awesome all of you guys, I'd like it to be on-road, as far as emmisions I don't have the yearly checkup in the county I live in but I didn't know if anyone had a kit or a way they did under 20k, for the 6bt wouldn't I have to have a beefier frame? And I hate electronics, old-school like that 😎 for ls swap I have access to an '01 Silverado 4x4 with a 5.3 and a 2wd '05 6.0 from a Silverado, I'm not too keen on this 3.8 with the 4 speed eclipse tranny lol, definitely want a manual or a beefy auto, also for the 6bt is there room? And I thought the 4bts could be tuned way up, something else I thought of was leave Chrysler computer, and run a solenoid to the keyswitch power the diesel system so I have the creature comforts but mechanical engine in case of alternator failure, all for reliability and I haven't heard as much good from the r2.8 as I have the 4bt, but all input is welcome!
post #11 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Wheeler

If your goal is to have power under 20 grand, that’s very doable if you’re capable of doing the work. I’ll have less than 20k wrapped up in my L86/8L90/atlas swap. Now if you add in axles, tires, suspension- it gets pretty crazy very quick.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
If your goal is to have power under 20 grand, that’s very doable if you’re capable of doing the work. I’ll have less than 20k wrapped up in my L86/8L90/atlas swap. Now if you add in axles, tires, suspension- it gets pretty crazy very quick.
that was going to be my next question, just for driveability will the stock Dana 44/30 combo hold up to the 4bt or ls swaps? And I'm going to do this one for driveability but I'm going to do a beast one for toying, probably just take a short 1ton truck and put a lift and jk tub on it but no idea how it'll line up, or put a 4bt or 6bt or 6.6 something that'll pull a house down on 44x16s into a good ol to with a beefy frame and axles
post #13 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
also I'm definitely capable, I just don't have the know how, and of course, 5+ heads are better than one, alot of you guys have done it or something similar or scour the internet for answers to make things run beautifully, so much respect
post #14 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
OP's quest is hopeless and sounds like the typical "all hat and no cattle" medium-duty diesel pickup truck owner that whines that diesel costs $4/gal.

Welcome to JKO.
I thank your welcome, where I live it's about $3 a gallon but I love mechanical things, much more reliable than 529,484 different sensors that could maybe possibly be due to something obscure
post #15 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 03:58 PM
Wheeler

If I was doing it on a budget, I would look for a LS 5.3/6l80, do the Motech Kit keep the original transfer case and axles and enjoy.

But as with most things, one thing leads to another, yada yada yada, atlas, coilovers, bypass, 60’s and 40’s. Then you’ll need a cage. Then you’re going to want seats, then...
post #16 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

It's not required but introducing yourself
and your rig on our Welcome Page thread
is sage etiquette, fwiw.
It's good to be acquainted to people when
asking them for help.

It's also cool to include what
references and/or Google searches
yielded no results for you so possible responders
know you've exhausted all data sources for
already documented modifications ...

I'm not policing ; just trying to get ya pointed
in right direction <a href="https://www.jkowners.com/forum/images/smilies/wink_animate.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Wink Animate" >:-)</a>

Absolutely, I'll get a good picture up on there tomorrow, love the community feel already, I honestly didn't expect this quick of a response let alone as many as I have, absolutely love it
post #17 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
If I was doing it on a budget, I would look for a LS 5.3/6l80, do the Motech Kit keep the original transfer case and axles and enjoy.

But as with most things, one thing leads to another, yada yada yada, atlas, coilovers, bypass, 60’s and 40’s. Then you’ll need a cage. Then you’re going to want seats, then...
Hahaha, well of course, always moving foward
post #18 of 19 Old 01-30-2019, 07:31 PM
SLO
Wheeler

Quote:

Yep, that’s what happened to me. Started with the least expensive LS I could find (used 5.3) and ended up going 6.2 L94, 6L80, new transfer case, Camaro SS fan, D60’s, 1350’s, 40’s, beadlocks (because I needed new wheels). It’s never ending.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-31-2019, 05:46 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Iím sure you are familiar with Rattletrap, the 6bt JK built by MBRP. That one used the JK frame. Here is the build thread on pirate https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...-jk-truck.html.

Petersonís offroad magazine put a JK tub on a ram frame for their ultimate adventure when I was in high school. That was in 07-08ish. You might be able to check their archives for those articles.

As far as an LS, a gen 4 (07-13) with a 6 speed tranny will be your best bet. More power and the 6 speed is 10 times better than the 4L60.

Personally my dream engine is the new gen 5 6.2L truck motor the L86 since the torque curve is nearly flat and around 400 ft/lbs. It is also a direct injection engine. The speed transmission that goes with it is also pretty awesome from what I heard. So basically what Conquistador is doing right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode