2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jadmt
  • 1 Post By Jeeple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-22-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
JK 3.6 swap from newer model year

Hi all, tried searching quite a bit but have not found any leads. I have a 2012 JK with the 3.6 and AT with, presumably, a bad head based on code recurrence and frequency. I'm over the 150k mile extended warranty Jeep offered. Rather than wrestling on a new head and having to be dead nuts on the dual cams, timing, etc. I have been exploring swapping the entire 3.6. I see them pop up quite often from Hemi and LS swaps, and at the local salvage yard. Question is, are the newer 2015, 2016, 2017 3.6 Pentastar motors a direct swap with a 2012? I could get a '12 or '13 from the salvage yard with under 80k miles, but for only a few hundred more (based on prices I've seen) I could get a 2016-ish with under 25k. Anyone have any info on this? When I look on car-part.com '12 and '13 seem to stay grouped together as do the '14 - up and RIPP has a similar separation but I haven't been able to connect the dots...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-22-2019, 05:23 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeple View Post
Hi all, tried searching quite a bit but have not found any leads. I have a 2012 JK with the 3.6 and AT with, presumably, a bad head based on code recurrence and frequency. I'm over the 150k mile extended warranty Jeep offered. Rather than wrestling on a new head and having to be dead nuts on the dual cams, timing, etc. I have been exploring swapping the entire 3.6. I see them pop up quite often from Hemi and LS swaps, and at the local salvage yard. Question is, are the newer 2015, 2016, 2017 3.6 Pentastar motors a direct swap with a 2012? I could get a '12 or '13 from the salvage yard with under 80k miles, but for only a few hundred more (based on prices I've seen) I could get a 2016-ish with under 25k. Anyone have any info on this? When I look on car-part.com '12 and '13 seem to stay grouped together as do the '14 - up and RIPP has a similar separation but I haven't been able to connect the dots...
I think 12-13 were the bad head issues where casting sand plugged up and ruined the entire cooling system. Long block part number is 68264741AA for a 15. The 12 is 68274396AA. I would say call the dealership and ask. The transmission is the same. What I dont know is if the tipm, or pcm is the same... Checkout moparpartsoverstock.com

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 01-23-2019, 04:00 AM
Rock God

you are talking an easy head swap and even most dealers are going to be in the $600 range and if you have mechanical skills should be under $225 for parts and a few hours labor. basically and plug and play.
Graeman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-23-2019, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

The dealership wanted me to play paycheck roulette to figure out if its a bad lifter or the actual head is bad - I actually don't have the tick, which leads me to believe its the head or valve train - I'm getting all the right misfire codes and crank/cam misalignment to suggest the same. I had it in when it was under 150k but wasn't up for dropping that kind of coin, as I was expecting it would be warranty. So rather than giving them the money, I can just about pick up a new engine. I have limited tools and experience in terms of setting up dual cams and timing, but am confident based on previous projects I can take a motor out and put another one in. Plus, then everything is newer, not just one top half of the motor.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-23-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Just for fun, and anyone who is follows along, I did find one additional detail, that the block castings are the same, as expected but there is a difference in the temp sensor threading - not that it should matter for a full swap. 2012 Temp Sensor Hole 3/8" x 18 NPT and 2016 Temp Sensor Hole M12 x 1.5. So far this is the only discernible difference I have discovered.
stevenjoh1972 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-04-2019, 08:29 PM
Wheeler

Curious I have a ‘14 with 54k miles on it. What are you seeing for an complete engine?
post #7 of 10 Old 02-06-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

They seem to start around $1500 complete - meaning pumps, belt, cats and motors mounts included. Miles are the biggest factor, as one would expect
post #8 of 10 Old 02-15-2019, 04:03 PM

I have been looking into a new 3.8, and they are running about $3000 to 3200.00, for the remanufactured..., Any where from $400.00 to 600.00 for core charge...just a little input..
post #9 of 10 Old 04-26-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Swap completed!

Just in case anyone ever digs this up...I found a '16 JK 3.6 motor with 15K for $1500 from a guy who swapped in an LS, so complete and running well with no CEL or issues. I can confirm all the harnesses, plugs, wiring, etc. all the same it seems for the 3.6 - the only notable difference is the coolant. I found this out ahead of time, and flushed the heater core and radiator (though I also replaced the radiator at the same time of completing this) to ensure no HOAT (orange) coolant was left in the system. Upon completion, refilled with the proper OAT (purpleish) for the '16 year motor. I also noticed a ton of oil had collected in the intake plenum of the motor I removed (153K) because of how the Pentastar PCV recirculates the crankcase air through the PCV to the intake, and decided to also install a Moroso air/oil separator. Although it only had 15K I also took this opportunity to install new plugs and the new-ish MSD Blaster ignition coils and all associated plenum and TB gaskets. Runs FANTASTIC. I didn't realize how tired the old engine was until we dropped in a new heart, much smoother, and already a 1-2MPG increase just around town. Enjoy!
Attached Images

post #10 of 10 Old 04-26-2019, 01:59 PM
Rock God

Yes you can swap a newer long block. You will need to retain your computer and wiring harness. Like it was said, flush out the cooling system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode