HP tuners necessity? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-15-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

HP tuners necessity?

Of those that have done a Motech LS swap, did you need HP Tuners for anything? If so, what?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Wheeler

Have a gen 5 Motech swap. Do not have HP Tuners. It is a nice tool to have but is not a necessity.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_fender View Post
Have a gen 5 Motech swap. Do not have HP Tuners. It is a nice tool to have but is not a necessity.

Did you do the swap or did you have Motech do it? Talking to Robbie, he said it’s used to remove some issues that pop up on the dash and to adjust any changes in gearing/tire size.

He also said most people prefer to adjust shift points as well.

The swaps require registering the Jeep computer and the GM computer, so it’s going to be a bit costly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru

Call John @ Overland Performance before you take the next step here.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You missed the part of Gen V. I already have the engine, Motech is about ready to ship the kit. I’m beyond the point of no return here!

What’s the cheapest way to get HP tuners up and running (reliably)? I come from the apple world, it’s been probably 10 years since I have used a windows based computer. Are there tablets that run the HP turners software or needs to be a laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
Call John @ Overland Performance before you take the next step here.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 02:31 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
You missed the part of Gen V. I already have the engine, Motech is about ready to ship the kit. Iím beyond the point of no return here!

Whatís the cheapest way to get HP tuners up and running (reliably)? I come from the apple world, itís been probably 10 years since I have used a windows based computer. Are there tablets that run the HP turners software or needs to be a laptop?
Just spin up a Windows VM on your Mac?
post #7 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 02:35 PM
Rock God

What are you using for front drive and P/S pump.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 03:15 PM
JKO Addict!

HP Tuners is a tuning package aimed at shops/tuners. It consists of tuning software for the PC and an interface that does not stay in the vehicle like a Diablosport Trinity might. It also has optional aux inputs for WBO2, EGT etc.

You (the customer) should not need it at all. It's expensive and includes enough "credits" to tune several cars.

Motech probably owns a copy of HP tuners along with the interface and enough tuning credits to do what they do. If anything, i would wager that Motech password protects what they do through HP Tuners.

To answer your question, no, you should not need HP Tuners at all. If you do want to muck with your tune, I would check with Motech first.

Edit: HP Tuners can also be used to modify the auto transmission software.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post

Just spin up a Windows VM on your Mac?
I’ll have to put a little thought into that, on the surface at least it seems like a good idea. Years ago I had boot camp with windows running in it and it seemed that the hardware connections didn’t work well. I’ll read up on it some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK View Post
What are you using for front drive and P/S pump.
Engine is an L86 with truck accessories. Ac compressor will be the GM unit and PS pump is the JK unit (will be PSC, but the JK kit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
HP Tuners is a tuning package aimed at shops/tuners. It consists of tuning software for the PC and an interface that does not stay in the vehicle like a Diablosport Trinity might. It also has optional aux inputs for WBO2, EGT etc.

You (the customer) should not need it at all. It's expensive and includes enough "credits" to tune several cars.

Motech probably owns a copy of HP tuners along with the interface and enough tuning credits to do what they do. If anything, i would wager that Motech password protects what they do through HP Tuners.

To answer your question, no, you should not need HP Tuners at all. If you do want to muck with your tune, I would check with Motech first.

Edit: HP Tuners can also be used to modify the auto transmission software.
This is what I was thinking too. I don’t want to get into messing with engine/trans programs. Motech says it’s handy and remote tuning is possible with it.

On the Jeep side, I know there’s simple tuners to clear codes and adjust speedometer. But if there’s any issues on the GM side then it’s another programmer.

As far as credits go, HP tuners has new hardware and credit scheme. The hardware does not include any credits anymore.

Motech does not lock the GM computer and they will not have my Jeep computer. They have a Mocan module that interfaces the two. They are changing some things in the GM computer and it should be good to go once I receive it, but without a tuner any troubleshooting (hopefully none needed) will be nearly impossible.

Total cost for hp tuners is the hardware $299, plus 4 credits (2 for GM and 2 for Jeep) $200 plus a computer (or boot camp and windows copy). Probably realistically $1,000+ to do it all.

Ouch...
post #10 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 05:09 PM
Granite Guru

Doesn't Robbie still offer the Aeroforce scan gauge. I got one years ago when I did the swap and it monitors pretty much everything and can clear codes etc. It helped me find vacuum leaks etc.
I bought EFI live as well, as another Mac user I had to set up Boot Camp, and all I ever used it for was to shut off the AFM. Been in the box ever since.

Sean
post #11 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
You missed the part of Gen V. I already have the engine, Motech is about ready to ship the kit. I’m beyond the point of no return here!

What’s the cheapest way to get HP tuners up and running (reliably)? I come from the apple world, it’s been probably 10 years since I have used a windows based computer. Are there tablets that run the HP turners software or needs to be a laptop?
I didn’t miss anything at all. John and Robbie have a great business partnership.

If you are looking for, let’s just call it non-OEM, tuning on this call John. Not only can/will he handle any tuning you need/want but he we also potentially recommend EFILive.

I run HPT myself and have also used John for tuning on EFIL. Neither are “required” for these swaps but certainly come in handy if you know what you are up to and want to make future changes (tires, gears, cam, exhaust, etc.)
post #12 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post

I didn’t miss anything at all. John and Robbie have a great business partnership.

If you are looking for, let’s just call it non-OEM, tuning on this call John. Not only can/will he handle any tuning you need/want but he we also potentially recommend EFILive.

I run HPT myself and have also used John for tuning on EFIL. Neither are “required” for these swaps but certainly come in handy if you know what you are up to and want to make future changes (tires, gears, cam, exhaust, etc.)

Just looked at EFI Live, looks more expensive than HP Tuners.

I started this thread to see what was actually needed with a Motech swap. So far it sounds like a simple tuner for gearing/tire size changes is all that’s really necessary. I think those are around $150 or so.

I’m not looking for custom tuning for more power or engine modifications, just looking to get this up and running. I don’t want to buy the cheaper tuner just to find out I need HP Tuners and have to buy twice. But at the same time I don’t want to buy the expensive one and not use it.

I have a little time before I have the Jeep ready to start up, so it’s not urgent. Just looking for real world experiences.

I’ll be changing out the axles and tire sizes at the same time, so for sure I will need something to change the Jeep side to the correct gearing and tire size.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Granite Guru

If that is all that you see in your future then just keep something like the AEV ProCal around for the Jeep side. If you need to update the GM PCM have Robbie handle it for you with a round trip to LV for the PCM itself with UPS/FedEx.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-20-2018, 07:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If something does come up, it's nice to be able record a log file so someone smarter can look at it.

From what I gather, Robbie is going to give you a stock tune in the ECM/TCM for the vehicle that engine came out of. Maybe with some tweaks and the VAT's turned off so the conversion works better. Factory tunes leave a lot on the table to begin with. Your Jeep is different than the truck the engine came out of. Weight, aerodynamics, gear, tire size, bla, bla, bla. It's probably more different than it is the same.

Get it running, strap it to a dyno and fine tune it after that. The "fine tune it after that" is where a turner would be nice to have.

Kevin
post #15 of 15 Old 12-24-2018, 11:31 AM
Wheeler

I did my own body on l83 swap this summer. I had an Aeroforce gauge for the Jeep that I had reflashed for the L83.
I did not send in my Jeep ECU to Motech. The L83 runs and shifts well (I have put 10K miles on it since the install).
You will have some dash lites on the Jeep such as battery and traction control. I took the dash apart and taped those off.
If using a PSC Pump as I am, you will have to make your own bracket as the supplied one will only work with the stock Jeep
pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode