Ls 5.3 L83 swap in 2wd 2010 jeep jk sport 4dr - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By un lupus
  • 2 Post By Alaska-HWY JK
  • 2 Post By ALASHA
  • 1 Post By gt1guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 12-14-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Ls 5.3 L83 swap in 2wd 2010 jeep jk sport 4dr

So, im 20 years old & just now getting into the jeep community. Like the rest, i hate the low power 3.8l v6 in my 2wd automatic 2010 jeep jku sport. My jeep is i guess u can say bone stock. No power windows, no cruise control, nor remote start, none of the cherry things that comes in the newer jeeps. I've come here not for price ranges, but to find out what parts do i need to do an l83 5.3/6l80e swap. I dont have to go through inspection where i live so not worried about the smog. Also, where can i find each item to buy separately over time? & what can i do if i decided to do an 4wd swap next? How do i go about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-15-2018, 08:22 AM
Rock God

I don't get it ... why would anybody buy a 2wd jeep?

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-15-2018, 08:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yroldjeeper View Post
So, im 20 years old & just now getting into the jeep community. Like the rest, i hate the low power 3.8l v6 in my 2wd automatic 2010 jeep jku sport. My jeep is i guess u can say bone stock. No power windows, no cruise control, nor remote start, none of the cherry things that comes in the newer jeeps. I've come here not for price ranges, but to find out what parts do i need to do an l83 5.3/6l80e swap. I dont have to go through inspection where i live so not worried about the smog. Also, where can i find each item to buy separately over time? & what can i do if i decided to do an 4wd swap next? How do i go about it?
Contact @JohnPShoe at Overland Performance in Louisiana , 225-304-6288 .
He will get you taken care of .
ALASHA likes this.

Last edited by un lupus; 12-15-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-15-2018, 03:06 PM
Wheeler

I am in the process of gathering everything to do an L86 swap into a 2012 JKU.

I have a Motech kit on order, they are the only ones selling a kit, the other shops only sell it if they are also doing the install.

Since you have a 2wd Jeep, it leads me to believe you are trying to not spend money on this. If that’s the case, DO NOT go with a gen V engine. It’s a lot more costly than a gen 3 or 4.

If you want to do the swap like a “hot rod” which would make the drivetrain stand alone, then be prepared to figure out how to make all the other systems in the Jeep work. Everything goes through the Jeep computer.

Making it 4wd at the same time would be fairly easy, but likely not too cheap.

If you’re just looking for a little more power and 4wd, step into a 2012 or newer, it’ll save you a lot of money. If you’re looking for 4wd and big power, be prepared to break open the piggy bank!

Quote:
post #5 of 23 Old 12-15-2018, 04:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOWBOY View Post
I don't get it ... why would anybody buy a 2wd jeep?
In hindsight, and itís been discussed before:
Youíre not spending money on a shitty front axle
Not trading out T-case for an Atlas
Few other things, this discussion was many years ago but made sense.
un lupus and Rubi-8 like this.
post #6 of 23 Old 12-16-2018, 04:01 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
I am in the process of gathering everything to do an L86 swap into a 2012 JKU.

I have a Motech kit on order, they are the only ones selling a kit, the other shops only sell it if they are also doing the install.

Since you have a 2wd Jeep, it leads me to believe you are trying to not spend money on this. If that’s the case, DO NOT go with a gen V engine. It’s a lot more costly than a gen 3 or 4.

If you want to do the swap like a “hot rod” which would make the drivetrain stand alone, then be prepared to figure out how to make all the other systems in the Jeep work. Everything goes through the Jeep computer.

Making it 4wd at the same time would be fairly easy, but likely not too cheap.

If you’re just looking for a little more power and 4wd, step into a 2012 or newer, it’ll save you a lot of money. If you’re looking for 4wd and big power, be prepared to break open the piggy bank!

Quote:
Is Motech producing DIY kits now for the gen V? Last I heard they only had a few batta kits out there and where still doing only in-house builds.

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-16-2018, 04:13 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUR33 View Post

Is Motech producing DIY kits now for the gen V? Last I heard they only had a few batta kits out there and where still doing only in-house builds.

Yes, but with the note that it is not yet fully supported. As I understand it, there are difficulties with some of the gen v engines- car pulley systems, 2017 and up engines have locked computers and I don’t think they have tested all the various platforms - lt4, etc.

If you have an L83 or L86 pre 2017 it seems to be fairly straight forward. I’ll let you know when I get mine done. I plan to wrap it up in March.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-16-2018, 05:48 AM
Rock God

Iím putting a L83 in my 2005 LJ Rubicon. The PCM crapped and itís NS1 now, no longer a supported part. Iíll be using the Holley mid mount to address pulleys and lack of power steering pump. Pulling the I6 this weekend.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUR33 View Post

Yes, but with the note that it is not yet fully supported. As I understand it, there are difficulties with some of the gen v engines- car pulley systems, 2017 and up engines have locked computers and I don’t think they have tested all the various platforms - lt4, etc.

If you have an L83 or L86 pre 2017 it seems to be fairly straight forward. I’ll let you know when I get mine done. I plan to wrap it up in March.
Ya keep us updated. I have looked into it some but hadn’t heard that yet.

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Yes, but with the note that it is not yet fully supported. As I understand it, there are difficulties with some of the gen v engines- car pulley systems, 2017 and up engines have locked computers and I donít think they have tested all the various platforms - lt4, etc.

If you have an L83 or L86 pre 2017 it seems to be fairly straight forward. Iíll let you know when I get mine done. I plan to wrap it up in March.
The truth is not clear about the locked computers , as I understand it there are just a few types that will be effected .
GM's Australian Holden being one , there are a few others but , Very Few , will be affected .
If you are talking about OE certification , well that's another matter .
All computers would be "locked" , there is a system within that would show that someone was in the computer and it would probably get the build rejected for certification and a registration or a license plate in the state that would allow the swap based on the OE requirements .
About the only way you would be able to have a "custom tune " is to have two computers and hope you don't get caught in a spot inspection running the "hot" computer .

Clarity on these issues will be known WHEN and IF a swap company finally receives OE certification .
There is a lot of money and time to be spent by the company to achieve this , good luck and hard work are the reward to the company that gets there , they will have a real winner especially in Cali , CARB certification is just the last obstacle to get beyond .

I wish I knew the truth , but I don't , only those that are working on it know , but they aren't talking .
post #11 of 23 Old 12-19-2018, 04:53 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Hi there,

With an older Jeep, and a 4 wd swap ahead, I would also recommend a gen 4 and 6l80 swap. I did the gen v L83 engine with 6l80 trans and had to work through some challenges making it work in my 2011 JKU. Mine is the change over model with the 3.8 but new 2011-2018 interior.
Given the extra time and work it will take to make your Jeep a 4 wd I would go for the more straight forward gen 4. Maybe you can score a 6.0?

2011 JKU L83 V8
post #12 of 23 Old 12-19-2018, 10:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
There is a lot of money and time to be spent by the company to achieve this , good luck and hard work are the reward to the company that gets there , they will have a real winner especially in Cali , CARB certification is just the last obstacle to get beyond .

I wish I knew the truth , but I don't , only those that are working on it know , but they aren't talking .

I don't think Cali is ever going to accept a Chevy engine in a Jeep product.

Kevin
post #13 of 23 Old 12-19-2018, 01:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Watcha' doin' , takin' all the hopes and dreams from the masses in the land of Moonbeam .

From the rumor mill , work "is" being done in an effort to make just that happen , no way to get concrete evidence of that , but that's exactly the rumor from the mill .
post #14 of 23 Old 12-19-2018, 02:54 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
This is reason 4829 to never live in Cali. Here in Onterrible (Ontario) Canada, we are scrapping our drive clean emissions testing program in April. You currently need to pass to renew your licence plate sticker which expires on your birthday. However since my birthday was a couple weeks ago, I need to get my truck to pass, to get my sticker to be legal for the winter. The Jeep can wait till spring to get a new sticker so that way I donít have to test it.

Our test is a computer that they plug into your OBD2 port and it checks your VIN and to make sure all of your emissions equipment is functioning properly. Iím not sure how an engine swap would effect this. It may just check the Jeep VIN and the Emissions equipment, or it may say that the test is for the doner vehicle. Iím guessing that most LS swaps run all the emissions equipment through the GM ECU which has a VIN for a GM vehicle.

Since the whole program is going to be shit canned in less than 4 months Iím not going to take the time to find out.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #15 of 23 Old 12-20-2018, 10:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
They do. It is a little more complicated but not impossible. MoTech has several LS swapped JKs in California, Nevada, Colorado and several other states that are Nazi's when it comes to emissions.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #16 of 23 Old 12-20-2018, 12:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
They do. It is a little more complicated but not impossible. MoTech has several LS swapped JKs in California, Nevada, Colorado and several other states that are Nazi's when it comes to emissions.
Really? To me it seems that when they get asked point blank.........they say no. Or is it more of a case of some guys just getting lucky?

I'm just glad my LS swapped Jeep will be legal to drive in all the states you mentioned. Cause it has Louisiana plates.

Kevin
post #17 of 23 Old 12-20-2018, 01:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

I'm just glad my LS swapped Jeep will be legal to drive
Putting the cart a little in front of the horse there?
ChuckTheRipper and Rubi-8 like this.

post #18 of 23 Old 12-20-2018, 06:11 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
He said legal to drive. Not drivable.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #19 of 23 Old 12-20-2018, 07:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I'm just glad my LS swapped Jeep will be legal to drive in all the states you mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
He said legal to drive. Not drivable.

Um, key word being "WILL". As in hopefully at some point before the internal combustion engine goes extinct.
ALASHA likes this.

Kevin
post #20 of 23 Old 12-21-2018, 02:13 PM
Rock God

I'm a little surprised some people do not know about Robby at MoTech and how may LS swapped Jeeps are on the road with full emissions.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #21 of 23 Old 12-23-2018, 10:30 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

Quote:
I will not crap on your dreams.... I will say that I have considered the idea of taking an old 2wd JK under my wing and going stupid on an engine swap. Would be one hell of a rocket sled with the right parts.

as for 2wd-2wd conversion, its not super complicated. you will need a 4wd tansmission, transfercase, driveshafts (fr&r), front axle and the t-case shifter and linkage or cable depending on what you get. I converted a 98 ZJ to 4wd years ago. Worked like a champ.

if you're thinking of doing a 4wd conversion doing the engine swap is the perfect time to incorporate that. If you're doing it on a budget simply adding the cost of a used transfercase to your purchase will help later. The only additional thing you will need to worry about is the rear driveshaft... i don't honestly know if the rear driveshaft is a different length on the JK. It was on the ZJ. it will not hurt anything to hang it in there and finish the conversion when you have the money to do the front axle and driveshaft.

if you're doing it yourself, have the knowledge... buy a conversion kit and source a good used engine/trans combo.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #22 of 23 Old 12-24-2018, 09:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
I'm a little surprised some people do not know about Robby at MoTech and how may LS swapped Jeeps are on the road with full emissions.
I think the issue is how few if any, are actually legally driving around Cali.

I'll admit that I always thought they were good to go in Cali, but after a few different threads on the subject here, the actual answer was no, they're not.

I think Motech does have all the emissions shit working, but they don't have the blessing from the state.

Kevin
post #23 of 23 Old 01-27-2019, 06:28 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
The L83 is a perfect match for the JK, with either the 6 or 8 speed transmission.

https://youtu.be/0hh4MpVUNr4

MoTech
725-502-8507

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode