Sticking the Hemi – 2008 JKUR, 392 With Getrag 238 - Page 3 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 60 Old 05-04-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Scratched my head for a while figuring how to get the mufflers positioned so the tips were sitting centered in the crossmember holes. Got a 3" DWV pvc coupling, added a few layers of masking tape on the OD, and it works perfect with just a little room to nudge. Almost time to start welding up some hangers!

Probably going to delete the stock heat shield and add some adhesive shielding to the tub, maybe also wrap the mufflers.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 60 Old 05-19-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm attempting to hang these mufflers as firmly as possible without hard-mounting. The tailpipes have about 1/4" clearance through the crossmember, and I want to make sure they stay centered. Trying three things to accomplish the install:

- polyurethane hangers in the stock locations. Poly doesn't flex as much as the stock rubber.

- silicone exhaust hanger grommets. These hangers required some fabbing, but seem to hold things very well.

- Flex bellows near the mufflers. The bellows will hopefully give the pipes some room to expand with temperature, without overstressing the mount brackets or pipe joints.

Almost done with the first muffler. Looks like they will need three mounts each to be fully stable.

Managed to get it tucked up nicely.

post #53 of 60 Old 05-30-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Brackets and hangers, lather-rinse-repeat...

Last edited by rockystock; 06-01-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 60 Old 05-31-2019, 04:44 PM
Random Dude

Wow, this thread is bringing an admirable level of tech!
Thanks for detailing your swap, especially all the little extra prep. details that would bite people in the ass if they just "slap it together". Like you, I'm a lazy mofo that doesn't like to work on stuff I already fixed

Your exhaust looks like a boatload of fab. but it's turning out sweet!
Question: do you think those short bellows sections allow enough lateral movement for when the drivetrain torques over? Dunno how tight the hemi motor mounts are, but I just reconfigured my exhaust and had to allow room for the "wiggly 3.8 dance". (If you're running solid motor mounts, please disregard).

Totally jealous of your V8 / 6MT
(but I wanna' see you succeed anyway )

Bitchin' thread - thanks again!
rockystock likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #55 of 60 Old 06-01-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for the kind words, ExWrench. I think I understand now why almost everyone outsources their exhaust work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Question: do you think those short bellows sections allow enough lateral movement for when the drivetrain torques over? Dunno how tight the hemi motor mounts are, but I just reconfigured my exhaust and had to allow room for the "wiggly 3.8 dance". (If you're running solid motor mounts, please disregard).
That's a good question. Guess it depends on how much flex there is, but I think they should work OK for the hemi and 3.8. Where the bellows don't do well is with a constant lateral stress, like when the exhaust is thermally expanding and trying to flex the bellows sideways. The bellows have two tubing sections on the inside that slide in and out past each other. The tubing maximizes flow by shielding the exhaust from the bellows convolutes. The problem is that they fit close together and won't tolerate too much transverse strain, or they will rub (and maybe make noise, haven't lived through this yet).

Here are some shots of a second set I'm putting near the transfer case. These are made by Yonaka and they look much better made than the muffler bellows (the bellows at the mufflers were made by the same shop that makes those Marman flanges I tried - those bellows look and fit like they were homemade - like, at my home - but they have a bit more space between the inner tubing so I put them in back there).

Inlet:

Outlet:

Here's an idea of the wiggle they may allow hopefully without too much drama:

j3ff3ry_j33p and ExWrench like this.

Last edited by rockystock; 06-02-2019 at 01:45 AM.
post #56 of 60 Old 06-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Work that bellows, dude...

rockystock likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #57 of 60 Old 06-01-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

Work that bellows, dude...

LOL! I had to post it up on YouTube because the more I wiggled it, the longer it got (the video, that is ). Guess JKO can't take the really long ones haha...

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Last edited by rockystock; 06-01-2019 at 07:19 PM.
post #58 of 60 Old 06-07-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Alright back to business. Got the run past the fuel tank and under the rear ds tacked in. I have about an inch minimum clearance from the TC; a little more from the fuel tank (I clearanced the tank skid by moving the side wall in about 3" and also added some aluminum thermal shield). There is only about 1/2" clearance from that big ds damper; may have to lose it with a double cardan upgrade [EDIT: more like an inch now. I adjusted by moving the downtube at the collector flange. A little adjustment there makes a big difference downstream. Looks like the rear DS and TC yoke can come out without removing the exhaust woohoo!]. Already committed to modifying the TC skid plate, so I'll build it around the exhaust tubing as well.

I'm using a mandrel bend just after the bellows - after fitting a pie cut bend in that spot, it looked like the V-band flange might get warped to shit so close to all that welding. The driver side tubing in the photo below is just sitting in the catalytic converter; I'll start on that side after getting the x-pipe properly hung in position.

Last edited by rockystock; 06-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.
post #59 of 60 Old 06-22-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Welding in four small brackets to hold the x-pipe and resonators. I had to squeeze up between the rear axle and the relocated evap canister for the rear bracket. It was so tight, I couldn't even change my mind

Last edited by rockystock; 06-30-2019 at 09:15 AM.
post #60 of 60 Old 07-12-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Got the last piece of the turns over the axle done tonight. That inboard / passenger side tube took 18 weld joints. The tubes have about 1/2" clearance under the crossmember, but I may have to see about a custom bent track bar. I'm swapping to a Metalcloak rear TB because it has about an extra inch of clearance, but it's still gonna be very close.

Last edited by rockystock; 07-12-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode