Stock radiator with Camaro SS fan on Gen V build - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gt1guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 11-15-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Stock radiator with Camaro SS fan on Gen V build

Is it possible to keep the stock radiator and fit it with a Camaro SS fan for an L83 (5.3) swap? After reading the thread, https://www.jkowners.com/forum/engin...ator-saga.html , I'm hoping to find a better solution.

The project is for a 2008 JKUR.

Thanks, Mjp83 for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-15-2018, 02:03 PM
Rock God

The answer is yes but the newer JK fan is a better option in my opinion .

Call Robbie @MoTech or @ JohnPShoe

Last edited by un lupus; 11-15-2018 at 02:09 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-15-2018, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answer. My thought was to have engine temperature controlled by the fan operating off of the GM ECU and keep it away from the jeep circuits. Why do you feel the Pentastar fan is a better option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Robbie had a video about the fan options at one point. The 3.6 jk fan blows the rest out of the water. Variable speed and stupid high CFM.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-16-2018, 03:47 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtroller View Post
Thanks for the answer. My thought was to have engine temperature controlled by the fan operating off of the GM ECU and keep it away from the jeep circuits. Why do you feel the Pentastar fan is a better option?
See @Mason post after your last one . Also the AC system is dependent on control of pressures related to fan speed to control head pressure .
post #6 of 20 Old 11-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Wheeler

I completed a Motech L83 swap this summer. I used a Camaro fan. My understanding is that the
Camaro fan is the only one supported with the Gen 5. Mitch told me the Pentastar fan signal is not compatible with the GM ECU. I used the optional radiator, I was told the stock radiator will work.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-18-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, John. That was the impression I had about the two different fans and their connectivity. Did you source the fan from Motech or did you purchase separately?
post #8 of 20 Old 11-18-2018, 07:49 PM
Wheeler

I got everything from Motech. Since I did a 2013 I would have preferred being able to use the
Pentastar fan. I was able to sell my Pentastar fan on Ebay.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-21-2018, 01:45 PM
Wheeler

I'm in the same boat ref leaking aluminum radiator. I'm considering getting a stock JK radiator and installing it. My swap is a LS 6.0 done by Motech with a camaro SS fan. Does anyone know what radiator hoses are used when running the stock radiator?
post #10 of 20 Old 12-02-2018, 07:01 AM

We did an L83 swap last year and used the stock 3.8 fan and radiator. Works great. No need to change them out unless you are maybe going to tow heavy up in the mountains often.

2008 JKUR L99/6L80, 37's
post #11 of 20 Old 12-02-2018, 08:13 AM
Wheeler

Thanks Tim, I'm going to give the C&R radiator a try. Hopefully the stronger build will stop the header cracking/leaking. If it ends up not working I'll go back to stock. Still curious what radiator hoses are used with the stock since ports are on opposite sides and the LS are on the passenger side?
post #12 of 20 Old 03-29-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
Thanks Tim, I'm going to give the C&R radiator a try. Hopefully the stronger build will stop the header cracking/leaking. If it ends up not working I'll go back to stock. Still curious what radiator hoses are used with the stock since ports are on opposite sides and the LS are on the passenger side?
I used a combination of hoses. I might still have them written down if you need them. This is an old thead so you may have moved on already. If you want them, ill look for the part numbers. It was a PITA to get them to work. I spent many hours at Napa looking through the hoses they had to make something work. PM me if you need them. Tim

2008 JKUR L99/6L80, 37's
post #13 of 20 Old 03-30-2019, 04:34 AM
Rock God

Why donít people convert the rad hoses to an fittings and hose? Is it because of cost? I see the question a lot. I have everything to run an fittings in mine...
post #14 of 20 Old 04-01-2019, 11:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
Why donít people convert the rad hoses to an fittings and hose? Is it because of cost? I see the question a lot. I have everything to run an fittings in mine...
I'm seriously considering going AN on everything. But there is one simple reason not to that I have a hard time getting past. You can get a new hose anywhere. That's not a small reason if you ask me. I'm stuck on it.

AN is a much better connection and hose though. You can't beat the looks either.

Kevin
post #15 of 20 Old 04-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I'm seriously considering going AN on everything. But there is one simple reason not to that I have a hard time getting past. You can get a new hose anywhere. That's not a small reason if you ask me. I'm stuck on it.

AN is a much better connection and hose though. You can't beat the looks either.

So whatíre you planning on fuel lines or steering lines? How often would you ever need replace one though? I donít think itíd ever be an issue.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-02-2019, 01:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
So whatíre you planning on fuel lines or steering lines? How often would you ever need replace one though? I donít think itíd ever be an issue.
I was really just talking about radiator hoses in my post. Cause the thread is about radiators. But you're right, the quality you get, from folks like XRP or BMRS or others, making the switch to AN probably means you're chances of a blown hose are nil.

As far as fuel lines go, I'm going to try to run as much hard line as I can. My thinking is it's safer that way.

Kevin
post #17 of 20 Old 04-02-2019, 07:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I was really just talking about radiator hoses in my post. Cause the thread is about radiators. But you're right, the quality you get, from folks like XRP or BMRS or others, making the switch to AN probably means you're chances of a blown hose are nil.

As far as fuel lines go, I'm going to try to run as much hard line as I can. My thinking is it's safer that way.

I think you misunderstood my last post... it was kind of rhetorical... like, if being able to get a new rad hose from autozone is so important for a cooling system thatís around 15 lbs compared to seeing thatís in the 1000s?
post #18 of 20 Old 04-02-2019, 07:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:

I think you misunderstood my last post... it was kind of rhetorical... like, if being able to get a new rad hose from autozone is so important for a cooling system thatís around 15 lbs compared to steering thatís in the 1000s, whatís your plan with them?
post #19 of 20 Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my last post... it was kind of rhetorical... like, if being able to get a new rad hose from autozone is so important for a cooling system thatís around 15 lbs compared to steering thatís in the 1000s, whatís your plan with them?
I feel tarded. Ya, I see your point. Radiator hoses are probably the least abused out of the whole extended hose family.

I don't know, fuck, I had it in my head that being able to get that God damn radiator hose at vatozone was really, really, really important.
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

Kevin
post #20 of 20 Old 04-15-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I just completed my build using the L83 and the stock radiator paired to the Camaro fan was easy. Getting plenty of cooling. Thanks for the opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode