Wrangler 6.1 Hemi problem - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-24-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Wrangler 6.1 Hemi problem

Hello,
I'm from Bulgaria and i recently purchased a Jeep Wrangler with a 6.1 Hemi engine from US. When i drove the car to my dealer he put by mistake the VIN of the car instead the engine VIN. After that the car doesnt want to start and when i put it to ignition it shows EGR error. What should i do? Has someone had a problem like this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-24-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

The issue is that i dont know which is the company. Actually, we found a way to start the car by making a button and with which we skip relay. The car is running now but it keeps showing the errors and that its running on less cylinders but its actually running on all. Isn't there a way to swap the computer or something so that the car can be started as it should be with the key and not to see these errors?
post #3 of 11 Old 10-25-2018, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

what @Nucleophile is correctly informin you is that, without whatever proprietary software programming that the engine swap was performed under ( he listed 3 of the 4 most well-known JK/JKU swap "kit" manufacturing /conversion & installation shops for HEMIs : Dakota Customs, JSS, BOR & I'll add RPM Extreme) , even if you are able to bypass certain limitations that were incurred by the INCREDIBLY STUPID & NEGLIGENT dealership that flashed the firmware on your engine-swapped Jeep's ECU, nothing will permit you to correct that on your own.

The conversion prosess involves - among other things - a tuner and a custom configuration for permitting the very sensitive Jeep JK's "drive-by-wire" system to be hacked into functioning with a completely different engine and transmission . The best ( i.e.- costliest) houses ( shops) that do these type conversions have the software which yields the least amount of system alerts and warnings - permitting OEM functionality with a completely different power plant and transmission...that is the reason there are only a few . They took the time and investment necessary to figure out a way to bypass the factory requirements and make the factory functions work without lighting the dash-up like a Christmas tree with warnings...

The only way to truly circumvent this on your own would be to yank-out ALL of the stock wiring harness ( there are miles of it . Check out one of our fellow members named @KOWBOY build ( the Turd) and youll see a removal of the JK factoy wiring ) and find some HEMI aftermarket control ECU and wiring harness then program it yourself . Other more savvy guys can confirm or deny this but that route essentially configured the Jeep as a totally different vehicle and will cost some serious dollars to have done properly.

If I were in your shoes, I would call each of the aforementioned conversion shops and provide them the VIM number , asking if they can assist you with a bad situation , seeking help , maybe they can reference the Jeeps which they have performed engine swaps upon until you find the right one . Then, hopefully, you can purchase a new programmed ECU from them to swap for the one your dealership destroyed. If you are lawered-up , you could try to get the dealership to pay for this since it was partially their fault.

Whomever you purchased it from should have told you to never allow dealer to flash the computer OR - many converted Jeep JKs have them - there is lots of times a notifying emblem or cap that is covering the data port under dash ( by driver's left knee ) that tells a dealership to NOT flash the computer due to the conversion tune.

I hope that helps. (I have no conversion but have read a boatload on our forum and elsewhere because I plan to have one in the future, fwiw. )

Make sure to refer to your Jeep JK as a Jeep, not a car ; the Jeeps get all sensitive when you do that and if it hears you, it may make it more upset than it presently is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-25-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-25-2018, 07:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Post a picture of the swap. "Might" be able to tell which conversion kit was used...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-25-2018, 07:22 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'd recommend contacting Hotwire Auto. They can straighten you out. Won't be cheap.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-25-2018, 08:23 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Post a picture of the swap. "Might" be able to tell which conversion kit was used...
If you can put up a picture, these guys may know who did the conversion. ^ Then purchase a new ECU.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-27-2018, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

This is a message from the previous owner...
I have no idea. That drivetrain was built by Burnsville Offroad. When I bought the Jeep and changed out the various parts to get a vin and title I never messed with Frame. In fact never looked at frame for a vin. I just recently found out there is a number on the frame. They may have used a different frame for built. Not sure. In the states it doesn’t matter. The state police inspect every salvage vehicle and I’ve never seen one look for a number on frame. That frame had stuff welded to it for the long arm lift and also had the front frame custom modified to accommodate large tires with very little lift. The new frames you buy have no vin on them. Sometimes guys get a donor frame and grind off number and use it as a new one.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-28-2018, 10:21 AM
jss
Rock God

HEMI COMPUTERS

This is easy, find the number on the computer, or we an build you a computer for your swap, with a HPTuners Interface MPVI2 HP Tuners
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

["jeep speed shop The GuineaPig Build"]
VVT Truck Hemi Conversions
The ONLY CARB LEGAL JEEP ENGINE CONVERSION

7911 Redwood Dr, Cotati, Ca. 94931
707-338-3154
post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2018, 02:25 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler94 View Post
This is a message from the previous owner ... That drivetrain was built by Burnsville Offroad.
You are so incredibly fucked. I speak from real-world experience tryin' to fix what these folks butchered.

Try to sell it for anything ya can get for it and buy another jeep.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-30-2018, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss View Post
This is easy, find the number on the computer, or we an build you a computer for your swap, with a HPTuners Interface MPVI2 HP Tuners
I have the serial number of the computer - THSEP0815001PP... Will this do?
post #11 of 11 Old 11-24-2018, 05:56 AM
jss
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler94 View Post
I have the serial number of the computer - THSEP0815001PP... Will this do?
We have computers in stock, this is easy.

["jeep speed shop The GuineaPig Build"]
VVT Truck Hemi Conversions
The ONLY CARB LEGAL JEEP ENGINE CONVERSION

7911 Redwood Dr, Cotati, Ca. 94931
707-338-3154
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode