10L90 with L86 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Classic 59

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-29-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

10L90 with L86

Has anyone paired the 10L90 transmission with the L86 yet? The 10L90 looks like a great transmission for the Jeep conversion.

Rodjk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-01-2018, 07:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Is that transmission even out yet and what makes you think that it would be great candidate for a Jeep swap?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-01-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Is that transmission even out yet and what makes you think that it would be great candidate for a Jeep swap?
I do not know if it is better or not. That is why I asked the question. Thank you for your meaningful feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Wheeler

Donít think the 10spd is in a truck yet, only the camaro zl1, which wonít hook up to a transfer case. So, no.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-01-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFDUB View Post
Donít think the 10spd is in a truck yet, only the camaro zl1, which wonít hook up to a transfer case. So, no.
I thought the 10 speed was available in the 2017 Yukon and Escalade. That is what gave me the thought that someday someone would incorporate the same set-up in a Jeep.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-02-2018, 06:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I have one in my 2018 F150, same trans. Also it's in the High Country Silverado with the 6.2 Liter V8. I'm not sure a JK can use all those ratios. The top 3 gears are OD; 8th- .80, 9th .68, 10th- .63. You would definitely need some serious HP to pull the 9 & 10 OD. I'm turning 1600 RPM @ 75 MPH with 3.31 gears and an actual 31.5" tire. It's awesome for high speed driving with the setup on my truck.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-02-2018, 06:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatech View Post
I have one in my 2018 F150, same trans. Also it's in the High Country Silverado with the 6.2 Liter V8. I'm not sure a JK can use all those ratios. The top 3 gears are OD; 8th- .80, 9th .68, 10th- .63. You would definitely need some serious HP to pull the 9 & 10 OD. I'm turning 1600 RPM @ 75 MPH with 3.31 gears and an actual 31.5" tire. It's awesome for high speed driving with the setup on my truck.
Ehh 10th isnt that far off of a 6l80's 6th at .667. I think an LS JK with 4.88 and 40s wouldnt have an issue with the .037 difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic 59 View Post
I do not know if it is better or not. That is why I asked the question. Thank you for your meaningful feedback.
There is no question mark at the end of your sentence so you made a statement that it would be a good candidate for a swap and not ask if it would be a good candidate.

The whole point of having all these gears in a transmission is to try to keep the engine in its optimal rpm range. With the new direct injection engines, that optimal band is actually pretty broad so 10 gears is overkill. They did it for fuel economy. I would venture a guess that while four wheeling, that transmission would be doing a lot of searching between gears. I think the 6l80 is more than enough trans for a Jeep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Ehh 10th isnt that far off of a 6l80's 6th at .667. I think an LS JK with 4.88 and 40s wouldnt have an issue with the .037 difference.

There is no question mark at the end of your sentence so you made a statement that it would be a good candidate for a swap and not ask if it would be a good candidate.

The whole point of having all these gears in a transmission is to try to keep the engine in its optimal rpm range. With the new direct injection engines, that optimal band is actually pretty broad so 10 gears is overkill. They did it for fuel economy. I would venture a guess that while four wheeling, that transmission would be doing a lot of searching between gears. I think the 6l80 is more than enough trans for a Jeep.
I agree with you I think the 6L80 is about perfect for a JK. My 10 speed usually skips a gear on every shift unless under a load. Usually 1-3-5-7-9 & 10 on a light throttle cruise. It's a lot of gears for sure. The 4.69 1rst gear is great for good starts.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-02-2018, 12:24 PM
JKowners Vendor

I have always been a big fan of the 6 speed 6L80E. The GM 8 speed has been having growing pains and I can't imagine the 10 speed being any better.

They keep adding gears to help with emissions and fuel economy but does it actually help performance or life of the trans.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode