Supercharged LS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-30-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Supercharged LS

Ive been kicking the tires on slapping a blower on my LS swap pretty much since I finished it. I know for sure I will have to change the cam in my engine and probably upgrade the springs, etc... As far as a blower goes I have been looking at the Whipple 2.9L universal systems that seem to be nice. These are "roots" style and realistically there is zero room to mount a centrifugal style blower in my jeep. I know it can be done but Im not wanting to get that heavy into moving everything else around. As it is now its basically an intake swap minus the cam change and a few other bits and will probably still fit under the stock hood. I'm already good on fuel delivery and now would be the best time to upgrade injectors and get on corn fuel as well.

My only real hangup is that these style of blowers need a heat exchanger and I'm 100% lost on where in the world I could mount one of those. Ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-01-2018, 06:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
Ive been kicking the tires on slapping a blower on my LS swap pretty much since I finished it. I know for sure I will have to change the cam in my engine and probably upgrade the springs, etc... As far as a blower goes I have been looking at the Whipple 2.9L universal systems that seem to be nice. These are "roots" style and realistically there is zero room to mount a centrifugal style blower in my jeep. I know it can be done but Im not wanting to get that heavy into moving everything else around. As it is now its basically an intake swap minus the cam change and a few other bits and will probably still fit under the stock hood. I'm already good on fuel delivery and now would be the best time to upgrade injectors and get on corn fuel as well.

My only real hangup is that these style of blowers need a heat exchanger and I'm 100% lost on where in the world I could mount one of those. Ideas or suggestions?

Subscribed ! Good luck brother !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-04-2018, 01:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I thought those blowers ran air/water heat exchangers in the manifold itself, then had a small radiator plumbed in front of the engine radiator.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-04-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I thought those blowers ran air/water heat exchangers in the manifold itself, then had a small radiator plumbed in front of the engine radiator.
They do, and you are correct. I am trying to find a place to put said heat exchanger. My trans and power steering coolers are already up there and even if I relocated the trans cooler under the jeep with a dedicated fan on it there really isn't a lot of room up there for a decent sized heat exchanger. Ive considered mounting it behind the seats on some nice fabbed up brackets since the fuel cell is already back there and there is zero chance of me ever putting the rear seat back in. But I'm sure I would still have to put fans on it and I don't think I want to listen to them running especially when the top is on it during the colder months.

One problem is I am not exactly sure what size heat exchanger I would need. if it is small enough I could just mount it under the jeep with a fan on it but when I look at the aftermarket ones for the caddy's and other vehicles that come with superchargers stock they aren't exactly small.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-04-2018, 11:20 PM
JKowners Vendor

We did this build years ago, LSA/6l90; it has amazing power but similar drivability to an LS3.

Used an Edelbrock E-Force water to air intercooler and stock CTV water pump. I'd remote mount the PS cooler. It's over 100* this day and ran cool.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #6 of 11 Old 08-05-2018, 08:29 AM
JKO Addict!

If you are super tight on space, there is always the "liquid intercooler" option.

Water methanol injection was invented and first used on fighter planes in WWII.

It was a GM factory option back in 1961 so it should not void your warranty on the LS.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-06-2018, 07:41 AM
JKO Addict!

My vote would be inside the grate below the windshield with pull fans or get fancy and try to mount it into the passenger side fender and put some mesh over it to look like the old school TJ Poison Spyder fenders.

post #8 of 11 Old 08-09-2018, 08:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
They do, and you are correct. I am trying to find a place to put said heat exchanger. My trans and power steering coolers are already up there and even if I relocated the trans cooler under the jeep with a dedicated fan on it there really isn't a lot of room up there for a decent sized heat exchanger. Ive considered mounting it behind the seats on some nice fabbed up brackets since the fuel cell is already back there and there is zero chance of me ever putting the rear seat back in. But I'm sure I would still have to put fans on it and I don't think I want to listen to them running especially when the top is on it during the colder months.

One problem is I am not exactly sure what size heat exchanger I would need. if it is small enough I could just mount it under the jeep with a fan on it but when I look at the aftermarket ones for the caddy's and other vehicles that come with superchargers stock they aren't exactly small.
Doesn't have to one big one. 2, 3, 4 or whatever smaller ones will work too. You're not dealing with boost and being worried about pressure loss with plumbing, you're just pushing water through a heat exchanger(s).

I'd find out what btu the aftermarket heat exchangers dissipate and match that. Last thing you want to deal with is heat soak.

Kevin
post #9 of 11 Old 08-10-2018, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Doesn't have to one big one. 2, 3, 4 or whatever smaller ones will work too. You're not dealing with boost and being worried about pressure loss with plumbing, you're just pushing water through a heat exchanger(s).

I'd find out what btu the aftermarket heat exchangers dissipate and match that. Last thing you want to deal with is heat soak.
I keep kicking this around, one thing I am realizing is that the blower is just the tip of a list of mods that realistically I would need to make this live. None of it is major but none of it is convenient either.

The short list off the top of my head to let the blower live is moar injector / fuel pump. I want to run corn so that's going to include a better filter setup / regulator. The trans would be pushed to its limit so I feel as if I need some upgrades there. Not even sure what all that would consist of. I would want to go ahead and put an engine oil cooler on as well. It runs around 240's running down the road and im sure the blower wont help that. That's in addition to the heat exchanger for the blower I dont know where I would put..... then theres a cam change and springs at the least. And hauling it back to the tuners....

Bleh..... half of me just wants to leave it alone now. Or maybe take that blower money and throw coil overs on it.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-10-2018, 12:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I keep kicking this around, one thing I am realizing is that the blower is just the tip of a list of mods that realistically I would need to make this live. None of it is major but none of it is convenient either.

The short list off the top of my head to let the blower live is moar injector / fuel pump. I want to run corn so that's going to include a better filter setup / regulator. The trans would be pushed to its limit so I feel as if I need some upgrades there. Not even sure what all that would consist of. I would want to go ahead and put an engine oil cooler on as well. It runs around 240's running down the road and im sure the blower wont help that. That's in addition to the heat exchanger for the blower I dont know where I would put..... then theres a cam change and springs at the least. And hauling it back to the tuners....

Bleh..... half of me just wants to leave it alone now. Or maybe take that blower money and throw coil overs on it.

You're going to need different pistons to lower the static compression too. The LS3/525 already has 10.7:1 , I believe the LSA is 9.0:1 and the newer ZL1 is 10.0:1. Pretty sure the ZL1 is a genV though, with the direct injection.

So if you're starting with 10.7, there's not a lot of room for boost before you're into race gas territory, or damage.

Kevin
post #11 of 11 Old 08-10-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
You're going to need different pistons to lower the static compression too. The LS3/525 already has 10.7:1 , I believe the LSA is 9.0:1 and the newer ZL1 is 10.0:1. Pretty sure the ZL1 is a genV though, with the direct injection.

So if you're starting with 10.7, there's not a lot of room for boost before you're into race gas territory, or damage.
You would be surprised with what they are getting out of stock ls3 bottom ends. Apparently they are fairly stout, 6-700hp to the wheels in a street car on 8-12lbs of boost. The corn fuel will help with the high compression issue. E85 is 105 octane as it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode