Daily driver - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 06-18-2018, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Daily driver

Going to ask this here since it is LS/JK related. I want to know as I do not see any real answers except for the scattering around of answers.

Who all drives there conversions as daily drivers?

What kind of mileage are you getting and with what combinations?

All I know is mine is horrible, getting 10-13 mpg's with that being a combination of city/highway - highway being an 11 mile drive one way on the interstate at 80 mph's.

I just got it dyno'd and all I got was more power (not a bad thing) but it did nothing for my mileage or the fact that I can not hold 6th gear, before or after the tune.

Here lately it has been a head wind of 18-25 mph's and it will not hold 6th on the flats and all most always on the overpasses with the headwind and that is in Kansas, hell it looks like this _______________________________________ almost everywhere you look around here with the occasional overpass.

I am running a 6.0, 6L80E with 4.10's and 35" tires.

So what are all you getting and how is 6th gear?

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I don't run an LS conversion so cannot help you there much.However, because I was inspired and entertained by your portrait of Kansas...

..I created an illustration of your overpass that should accompany your detailed rendering of the Kansas landscape real nice.

Welcome to JKOwners and I am sure you'll get some useful advice , on top of the awesome art I've just provided.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old 06-18-2018, 07:22 PM
JKowners Vendor

I don't drive mine daily, but I was getting 12.8-13 stop and go, in town, AC on with 35's and 4.10's. On the interstate, 75-78mph, AC on with 35's and 4.10's it was almost 15mpg. I'm now on 37's, but it has only dropped by about 1mpg.

There are a lot of factors that contribute to mpg. PM me if you want to discuss.

Edit: 6th gear is easy. It shifts in at anywhere from 55mph on up, depending on throttle percentage. It will hold it all day long.

OVERLAND PERFORMANCE
MOTECH GEN IV LS Conversion Kit Manufacturing and Sales

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 06-18-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks j3ff3ry. That is some awesome artwork. I was unable to create the overpass thanks again
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
post #5 of 28 Old 06-19-2018, 04:45 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheels4life View Post
Going to ask this here since it is LS/JK related. I want to know as I do not see any real answers except for the scattering around of answers.

All I know is mine is horrible, getting 10-13 mpg's with that being a combination of city/highway - highway being an 11 mile drive one way on the interstate at 80 mph's.

I just got it dyno'd and all I got was more power (not a bad thing) but it did nothing for my mileage or the fact that I can not hold 6th gear, before or after the tune.

Here lately it has been a head wind of 18-25 mph's and it will not hold 6th on the flats and all most always on the overpasses with the headwind and that is in Kansas, hell it looks like this _______________________________________ almost everywhere you look around here with the occasional overpass.

You are still on a stock tune ?
I am running a LS-3 and doing much better than you are but I'm not running a stock tune .
I have seen 17.3 mpg at the best on a long distance run calculated (not on the gauge cluster) , average about 14 mpg if I keep my foot out of it .
I'm also in a 2Dr so I'm a bit lighter , and on 37's and 5.13's .

John at Overland Performance did my tune with EFI-Live and it does hold shifts way better than the stock tune , sixth gear would kick down with the slightest increase in stock form , but now it will hang in there until I get into it about 3/8 throttle .

The difference was 'nite and day .

Right now I'm in the process of axels and changing gear ratios but I don't expect to see any mpg or performance advantages because the tire and wheel weight will increase as well as the weight increases of 60's will negate any mpg increase .

Look into EFI-Live ,I just believe there are more advantages there than the others available on the market .

Also the guy behind the tune needs to have the experience also and John @JohnPShoe has tuned many other members here on JKO with results that speak for themselves .
Cod likes this.
post #6 of 28 Old 06-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Rock God

There is no way you should have those results with a 6.0 and 35's. Tune it
coilrod likes this.
post #7 of 28 Old 06-19-2018, 01:15 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:

Did you ever get HP tuners?

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #8 of 28 Old 06-19-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
Did you ever get HP tuners?
Yes I do. Computer is to old (xp) to support newest version. Now I need to upgrade.

post #9 of 28 Old 06-20-2018, 08:51 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Definately need HPTuners. I have a 6400lb JKUR with 4.88's, D60's, and 40's running a 6.0L/6L80e combo like you and can run down the highway at 1900 rpm in 6th gear all day long. I get 14-18mpg on avg and drive it every single day.

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit
post #10 of 28 Old 06-20-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

So it does look like I should be getting better mileage.

Soon as I get a computer that will support the newest version of hptuners I can get this thing dialed in, I hope

I've had hptuners for sometime now, still trying to learn what the heck I need to do. Got it dynoed and he cleaned it up and got me some more power but nothing on the mileage and when I went to update hptuners with the latest version I find out my xp will not support it so that is why I am stuck right now.

Thanks for all the responses and seeing that things can be better.

post #11 of 28 Old 07-03-2018, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thought I would update as a little tweaking was done to the dyno tune that I have and it may have help at tad, maybe 1 mpg better.

I know this is not really what this area is for but it is about the only avenue I have. Seems like I am starting to have more issues as I go, that may be all related to fuel mileage.

I noticed it a couple times before I had it tuned but now it is more frequent. In 6th gear cruising it feels like I am touching the brakes on and off, which I am not but that is what it feels like. Still drops out of 6th at the slightest increase of pedal and to me it just feels like it is laboring, or it just doesn't feel like a 6.0 should going down the road.

I am wondering if my cats are going bad or are plugged. Is there a way to check without dropping the down pipes and looking inside of them?

Thanks in advance for any help, this is starting to get a bit frustrating.

post #12 of 28 Old 07-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Rock God

Can you smell anything like Sulphur at the tail pipe .
If not bang on the cat with a rubber mallet , if it rattles it may be compromised , tail pipe would also show signs of a rich condition .
Without any of those things present there are parameters if your able to see them , like trims on each bank that would show either a large disparity post cat . Exhaust leaks at collector can cause fuel mileage numbers to look low also .

It's not common to have cats to go bad without some abuse , intentional or not . Over rich conditions are hard on cats because of the heat generated . Lean conditions are not as bad , but still .

Exhaust leaks pre-cat can and will cause a rich condition and also reduce fuel economy numbers .

Ability to use a tuner and monitor parameters is important to understand what your engine wants or needs .

Do you have an Areoforce Interceptor or something to see what is going on ?
post #13 of 28 Old 07-03-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
Can you smell anything like Sulphur at the tail pipe .
If not bang on the cat with a rubber mallet , if it rattles it may be compromised , tail pipe would also show signs of a rich condition .
Without any of those things present there are parameters if your able to see them , like trims on each bank that would show either a large disparity post cat . Exhaust leaks at collector can cause fuel mileage numbers to look low also .

It's not common to have cats to go bad without some abuse , intentional or not . Over rich conditions are hard on cats because of the heat generated . Lean conditions are not as bad , but still .

Exhaust leaks pre-cat can and will cause a rich condition and also reduce fuel economy numbers .

Ability to use a tuner and monitor parameters is important to understand what your engine wants or needs .

Do you have an Areoforce Interceptor or something to see what is going on ?

Yes, I can smell sulfur when driving on the interstate and accelerating up over an overpass.

I did go out after my last post and beat on the cats with a mallet but couldn't really hear anything. Tailpipe has black residue on it. I know it was running rich before the tune by the logs I took and was seeing all the pulling it was doing on the ltft and stft. Much better now after the tune.

Yes I do have hptuner and still trying to figure it out and understand what I am looking at. I have it down a little bit but not enough to really use it.

I do know that the tuner has turned off the post cat o2's but I still have the cats. I thought I had part numbers for the cats I used but I can not find them.

If this makes sense I understand what needs to be done but it is the use of the hptune that I can not figure out and what all needs to be done.

post #14 of 28 Old 07-04-2018, 10:14 AM
Rock God

Not running post cat O2's is pretty common with almost all the swap companies , there is not really any reason to if your not subject to emissions requirements that hold you to the letter (like Cali) .

To see fuel trims while you are driving is in my humble opinion important to help you diagnose weather or not you have a cat problem or not , exhaust leaks at the pre-cat location will cause you to have a rich condition because the mixture will be over-oxygen tricked to show a need for the computer to richen the fuel curve when it's really not required .

To see these you need to either use a laptop or a monitor like I mentioned before , the Areoforce Interceptor .

I find this handy little item easier than a laptop , and it is always there without having to boot it up ,or connect it every time I want to look at parameters .

It can be set up to monitor many other things beyond the things we are talking about here .

Understanding what you have is the first step to a diagnosis .

Last edited by un lupus; 07-04-2018 at 10:17 AM.
post #15 of 28 Old 07-04-2018, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I was actually laying under the jeep this morning looking at the cats seeing if I can cut them out and get my mig torch up in there and weld a piece back in.

post #16 of 28 Old 07-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I was actually laying under the jeep this morning looking at the cats seeing if I can cut them out and get my mig torch up in there and weld a piece back in.

Not a good idea .
post #17 of 28 Old 07-04-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
Not a good idea .
Well. Just as a test to see if it makes a difference. We all know you need the cats.

post #18 of 28 Old 07-04-2018, 08:21 PM
V8 dreams

Why do you need cats, besides inspection if you have it in your state?

2010 Silver JKU
post #19 of 28 Old 07-05-2018, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Why do you need cats, besides inspection if you have it in your state?
I'm guessing that is what he means.

No I do not have inspections, so I would not have to deal with that part of it. That is why I am looking at it. Should have never put them in to begin with.

post #20 of 28 Old 07-05-2018, 08:07 AM
V8 dreams

Quote:
I'm guessing that is what he means.

No I do not have inspections, so I would not have to deal with that part of it. That is why I am looking at it. Should have never put them in to begin with.
ok just making sure. i won't need cats in arkansas and don't run them on anything

2010 Silver JKU
post #21 of 28 Old 09-13-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Want to keep updating this until either it gets better or I give up

I removed the cats, disabled the rear O2's and have done everything I can think of with the tune. Reducing the shift speeds, changing TC lock up, up and down plus TC slip and it has not changed or helped the 6th gear downshift.

So, next I am going to go from 4.10 to 4.56 gears and see if that does it. I am running 35's so that will only raise rpm's about 200 rpm's from where I am at now. So from 2150 to 2346 at 80 mph's. Plus if it is to much and I want to bring the r's back down I am getting close to needing new tires so maybe 37's that way I can be back to downshifting out of 6th again.

I am thinking of doing the gears myself, that's about the only thing I really have not been into yet. I understand the steps, it is just a matter of patience that may get me in the end. So we will see.

I will report back after the gear swap and after putting some miles on it.

post #22 of 28 Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Want to keep updating this until either it gets better or I give up

I removed the cats, disabled the rear O2's and have done everything I can think of with the tune. Reducing the shift speeds, changing TC lock up, up and down plus TC slip and it has not changed or helped the 6th gear downshift.

So, next I am going to go from 4.10 to 4.56 gears and see if that does it. I am running 35's so that will only raise rpm's about 200 rpm's from where I am at now. So from 2150 to 2346 at 80 mph's. Plus if it is to much and I want to bring the r's back down I am getting close to needing new tires so maybe 37's that way I can be back to downshifting out of 6th again.

I am thinking of doing the gears myself, that's about the only thing I really have not been into yet. I understand the steps, it is just a matter of patience that may get me in the end. So we will see.

I will report back after the gear swap and after putting some miles on it.
The offer is still good if you would like another set of eyes on your tune. Your mileage should be WAY better and your downshift issue should not even be something being discussed. Something is not quite right.
jvandy50 likes this.

OVERLAND PERFORMANCE
MOTECH GEN IV LS Conversion Kit Manufacturing and Sales

post #23 of 28 Old 09-21-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPShoe View Post
The offer is still good if you would like another set of eyes on your tune. Your mileage should be WAY better and your downshift issue should not even be something being discussed. Something is not quite right.
Offer excepted.

Thank you.

post #24 of 28 Old 01-06-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Another update. Well finally went to John at Overland Performance. All I can say is DANG what a difference. He worked his magic and now it drives down the interstate like a dream!
After reading what everyone had to say about him and his work plus I talking to him several times both by phone and text, I actually drove down there with the jeep, from Kansas to Louisiana (12 hours one way).

The jeep on the way there did as usual with averaging about 12 mpg's at 80 mph's and dropping into 5th on occasion. On the way back it just rolled down the highway, cruising at 80 mph. Never did the torque converter unlock or even shift out of 6th. In fact with cruise set going up or down the hills the speed never changed more than a couple mph's it used to drop about 5 mph's going up some of the larger overpasses, drop into 5th, rev up, crest the hill, shift back into 6th and over speed a couple mph's. Now it varies 2-3 mph, maybe, if it moves at all. All this with 14-15 mpg's. It is nice to, now you just roll into the throttle and it just PULLS and if you give it a good push it will break the tires loose

All I can say is John is a heck of a guy. He listens to what you have to say and truly wants your ride to work and for you to be happy. He is not done until both you and he are satisfied with how the jeep runs and reacts. The great thing is, if down the road if I want to change a few things he is there to take care of you.

Now to put some daily driving on it and see how it does.
Fklein6768, coilrod and un lupus like this.

post #25 of 28 Old 01-06-2019, 11:02 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Another update. Well finally went to John at Overland Performance. All I can say is DANG what a difference. He worked his magic and now it drives down the interstate like a dream!
After reading what everyone had to say about him and his work plus I talking to him several times both by phone and text, I actually drove down there with the jeep, from Kansas to Louisiana (12 hours one way).

The jeep on the way there did as usual with averaging about 12 mpg's at 80 mph's and dropping into 5th on occasion. On the way back it just rolled down the highway, cruising at 80 mph. Never did the torque converter unlock or even shift out of 6th. In fact with cruise set going up or down the hills the speed never changed more than a couple mph's it used to drop about 5 mph's going up some of the larger overpasses, drop into 5th, rev up, crest the hill, shift back into 6th and over speed a couple mph's. Now it varies 2-3 mph, maybe, if it moves at all. All this with 14-15 mpg's. It is nice to, now you just roll into the throttle and it just PULLS and if you give it a good push it will break the tires loose

All I can say is John is a heck of a guy. He listens to what you have to say and truly wants your ride to work and for you to be happy. He is not done until both you and he are satisfied with how the jeep runs and reacts. The great thing is, if down the road if I want to change a few things he is there to take care of you.

Now to put some daily driving on it and see how it does.

Another thing of many, that you will notice later on is that if you drive it consistently the same way that you normally do it will build a memory of how you drive it and will respond the same way all the time .
Keeping your foot out of it will improve your fuel mileage at the expense of minor performance advantages , so drive it like ya stole it . You really didn't install a LS for fuel mileage anyway , did ya ?
Your enjoyment is really the most important thing to John , if you aren't happy he ain't happy .
He's become a important friend to me , I'm certain that he has had the same experience with other people , just the nature of a personality like his . Cool Dude .

It should chirp the tires in at least the first four gears , have fun !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode