Upgraded cooling fan - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 40 Old 08-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Rock God

I don't see the PWM anywhere in my AEV Procal book. Maybe something new?

Otherwise yes you need someone else's little black box to make it all work. HP tuners can do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 40 Old 08-02-2019, 06:09 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
I don't see the PWM anywhere in my AEV Procal book. Maybe something new?

Otherwise yes you need someone else's little black box to make it all work. HP tuners can do it.
Here t'is.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...LFisIFT7JhzMcl
FanConversion-4.pdf

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Rubi-8 likes this.
post #28 of 40 Old 08-06-2019, 11:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

I have a bully dog gt tuner, Iíll see if I can find the manual to see if it will do it.

Has anyone done this upgrade and had any issues? Iíve seen where some have stated replacing the TIPM deal for some reaso so Iím just curious. Guess I need to start calling around for fanpricing, thanks for the info guys.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 40 Old 08-07-2019, 11:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post

You will need to have the TIPM reprogramed if you want it to run the pentastar fan. 2008-2011 seem to work great, the 2007 TIPMs don't usually support the newer PWM fan.

You will also need your Jeep ECU programed to send the correct signal to the TIPM or the fan will not work. This will depend on who's kit your using and if the Jeep ECU is still in play.

Our conversions fully support the PWM pentastar fan for 2007-2011 without having to flash the TIPM and come with the fan harness making it plug and play.
That's confusing as hell to read if you have a 2007.

Since I have your swap kit and an 07, and I want the Pentastar fan, is all I have to do is send you the Jeep ECU for PWM programming and buy the fan harness?
post #30 of 40 Old 08-09-2019, 09:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Yeah, everything that I find is vague at best. I havenít been able to obtain enough info to make an informed decision or which route to take. That deal from rpm to make the PWM fan play nice with the TIPM is like 400 alone, then the price of a fan, then add a tuner if my bullydog GT wonít work...

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #31 of 40 Old 08-10-2019, 01:13 PM
JKowners Vendor

In some cases the Pentstar fan will not work in an early JK if the PCM has been modded. The AEV Procal will set the TIPM output to 10 Hz PWM, however we found a bug in communication between the PCM and TIPM inhibits the fan from running.

This may not be true in all cases and with the AEV update if it works your fan is not modulated so get ready for some noise.

For whatever reason Chrysler used a reverse PWM signal for the Pentstar fan making it more difficult to drive than a standard fan. Both the Pentstar fan and Camaro SS fans are sealed, brushless, 19"(stock JK 17"), electronically speed controlled, out-runner fan designs. While we support both we prefer the SS fan having conventional fan control and it seems quieter.

There is a new fan on the block, the JL fan. We installed a JL fan on a heavy JK with 40's. Temps in Vegas have been in the triple digits and fitting a JL fan to this particular JK brought impressive results. The JL fan is known for being LOUD, and it is at full speed to the point you need to turn iot off in the drive thru to talk; however, we have only seen the JL fan go to 69% in normal use and it was no louder than the SS or Pentstar.

The JL fan is less expensive than the SS or Pentstar fans, it is brushless, ESC controlled, outrunner.... but it is not sealed like the others. This may be why it cost less. We had a Gladiator here recently with HD cooling and there is a rumer it's fan is more powerful although it looked very much like the JL fan.

So far I'm very impressed with the JL fan it's cut the mustard in a heavy JK out here.

We can support all three of these fans if you have a GM ECM although we prefer to stay away from the Pentstar fan for various reasons. If you have a Hemi JK or a build with a non GM ECM we do have a stand alone fan controller that will run any of these fans with full modulation. The controller can accept CAN or analog inputs then put out the proper signal driver for several HZ's.
post #32 of 40 Old 08-12-2019, 04:34 AM
Rock God

So the big question is, what is needed to get a JL fan working on an 07 then?

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #33 of 40 Old 08-20-2019, 10:38 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm running the AEV procal and 3.6 fan swap harness in my '08 JK, 392 hemi. First start last night, ran it for about 10 minutes. In the last three minutes, the engine coolant temperature reached 226 and held steady (18lb Stant radiator cap). The 3.6 fan did not come on. I thought the fan should have come on around 215 or so - is that correct?

I may have to go with one of those stand-alone fan control modules...
post #34 of 40 Old 08-20-2019, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

Rocky,

I used the stock 3.6 liter fan from my 2014 Wrangler. It ran on high only when it came on @ 212 - 215*. With C & R radiator it always stayed under 220* even climbing the steepest passes in Colorado. The fan sounded like a turbine when it ran and would quickly bring down the temp to 204* and shut off. The fan was a PWM brushless unit and operated from the ECU & the TIPM telling it when to operate.
rockystock likes this.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #35 of 40 Old 08-20-2019, 11:33 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

That's good info - thanks! Just talked to Robbie @MoTech - as he said above, I may have the glitch where the PCM isn't communicating properly with the TIPM, at least for the PWM fan control or ECT signal. Although, he also said that sometimes the Pentastar setups might come on at a higher temperature, more like ~230. He also said if the ac compressor pressure switch is disconnected, the open circuit should make the PWM fan come on high (my switch was disconnected, and the fan was not on...).

EDIT: OK so my AEV 3.6 fan conversion is working after all. I ran the engine again tonight - 20 minutes this time - and the fan turns on around 230F and off around 215-218F. I could definitely hear it, but it wasn't very loud so maybe its running on a slower speed? Another mystery: my ac pressure transducer was unplugged (still need to have new lines made up), but the fan only came on around 230F.

Last edited by rockystock; 08-20-2019 at 08:11 PM.
post #36 of 40 Old 08-21-2019, 07:17 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
That's good info - thanks! Just talked to Robbie @MoTech - as he said above, I may have the glitch where the PCM isn't communicating properly with the TIPM, at least for the PWM fan control or ECT signal. Although, he also said that sometimes the Pentastar setups might come on at a higher temperature, more like ~230. He also said if the ac compressor pressure switch is disconnected, the open circuit should make the PWM fan come on high (my switch was disconnected, and the fan was not on...).

EDIT: OK so my AEV 3.6 fan conversion is working after all. I ran the engine again tonight - 20 minutes this time - and the fan turns on around 230F and off around 215-218F. I could definitely hear it, but it wasn't very loud so maybe its running on a slower speed? Another mystery: my ac pressure transducer was unplugged (still need to have new lines made up), but the fan only came on around 230F.
Rocky,

Yeah that sounds like the stock V6 fan temp setting. AEV had the temps for on off like I mentioned. Mine got up to 230* one time when I was pulling my friend through the sand at Wipe Out Hill do to a broken T - case @ 85* ambient. I was impressed how that fan pulled the temp down to 204*. The fan then ran most of the way out @ 215 - 218* . You could here that fan a block away and I had to get used to the fact that a V8 needs some fan speed most of the time on trails & idling. I wish it could have run say 50% and went to 100% when needed but it only ran 100%.
rockystock likes this.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #37 of 40 Old 08-21-2019, 10:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
So the big question is, what is needed to get a JL fan working on an 07 then?
Ahem... @MoTech

5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #38 of 40 Old 08-21-2019, 02:05 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Ahem... @MoTech
You need the proper Hz output and fan tables. The GM ECM can do this for you but it is dependent on a few things.

If running the AC through the GM ECM and you have a valid AC request and AC pressure than the GM ECM can control everything properly, the fan for AC, trans temp, ECT, IAT.... You also have to take into account EVAP temperature to cycle the compressor. This is how our conversion works all the signals are acted on.

If you are not running the AC through the GM ECM it can still be done but not as well since the GM side does not know the AC status.

So basically it comes down to programming the GM ECM.

The AEV Procal can set the TIPM(right one) to a 10 Hz output for the Pentstar fan but I do not like the TIPM to control the fan it does goofy things IMO. If you have a Hemi your pretty much stuck with TIPM control unless you go with a standalone controller. We have done this on a few Hemi JK's now with good results; however, I was just speaking with AEV and they said they are going to start modulating the fan on the 2012+ JK's with Hemi's and the 3.8 JK's possibly down the road.

If running a setup where you do not have the correct TIPM or signals to the ECM you can go with a stand alone controller. I like the fan to be fully modulated so it's not running on high all the time or even at medium speed; I wan it to shut of when not needed.

We have a couple JL fans out there now with good results, the only downside I see is the JL fan is not sealed like the SS and Pentstar fans. The JL fan costs less too.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #39 of 40 Old 08-22-2019, 04:21 AM
Rock God

Ok, so on my 07 the fan and shroud were damaged so this is why I'm asking.

I need to see if RPMExtreme is controlling the AC on the GM side, and then able to program the GM ECU for the JL fan then since I have their kit. Being sealed or not is not a worry as I don't ford rivers when offroading.

If I just wanted to make it complete stand alone, what controller do you recomend? I researched doing a Pentastar fan this way, but all the controllers I found had bad reviews and early/multi failures. Admittedly I didn't do an extensive search cause then this thread popped up.

Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt

Last edited by D94R; 08-22-2019 at 04:35 AM.
post #40 of 40 Old 08-22-2019, 07:13 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Ok, so on my 07 the fan and shroud were damaged so this is why I'm asking.

I need to see if RPMExtreme is controlling the AC on the GM side, and then able to program the GM ECU for the JL fan then since I have their kit. Being sealed or not is not a worry as I don't ford rivers when offroading.

If I just wanted to make it complete stand alone, what controller do you recomend? I researched doing a Pentastar fan this way, but all the controllers I found had bad reviews and early/multi failures. Admittedly I didn't do an extensive search cause then this thread popped up.
D94R,

The only controller that I've heard good things about long term is Dakota Digital. I'm no expert on this by any means.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode