• 1 Post By GobiRecon
  • 1 Post By reddog
  • 2 Post By da20captain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-30-2018, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
6.4 swap question AEV

I have a 18 jkurr auto. If I use a junkyard 6.4 out of a 2015+ charger/challenger will the accessories from the donor ( starter, AC, alt, PS pump etc.) be used?
Or will some of the 3.6 stuff be used? I plan on the AEV kit. Am I further ahead with the drop out, or just get a new crate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-04-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Ok, it seems there isn't a definite answer. I've found a low mile 17 srt 6.4 with accessories. I'm going for it. I will let ya'll know what I end up with.
inline6 likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-18-2018, 10:31 AM

My guess is the the pentastar accessories won't work. Get all of the stuff from the donor that you can. But it looks like the kit comes with everything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-19-2018, 08:02 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

So did you go dropout or crate? And what made your decision?

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-19-2018, 10:28 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

You'll need to reuse your PS pump (the '17s don't come with one). May also need a smaller PS pump pulley.

Not sure about AEV's harness and PCM programming, but the JSS kits can't use the newer AC compressors because they have an extra electrical connector on the back.

AEV used to require slightly modifying and reusing the Jeep AC compressor.

Last edited by rockystock; 04-19-2018 at 10:31 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-20-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
So did you go dropout or crate? And what made your decision?
I got a 6.4 crate. My reason was, f-it. It's a new jkurr. Put in a new mopar. Use new parts. Get it done. Go play.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-20-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
You'll need to reuse your PS pump (the '17s don't come with one). May also need a smaller PS pump pulley.

Not sure about AEV's harness and PCM programming, but the JSS kits can't use the newer AC compressors because they have an extra electrical connector on the back.

AEV used to require slightly modifying and reusing the Jeep AC compressor.
Yup, they have you get a AC pump from 3.8 JK and do a little material removal.

PS pump from the 18 3.6 is tiny with a remote res. Had to get a 3.8 JK ps pump with integral res. I hope it has more balls.

Almost nothing from the 3.6 is used.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-20-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
progress picture

Name:  0420181821.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  822.7 KB
post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Rock God

I have done a Hemi swap with a JSS kit, which is similar. You have the body off, if I had to do it again I would have put a set of SRT8 headers or some aftermarket headers while I had it apart. I got a set after the fact and have been sitting on my toolbox nearly two years. Bets of luck with the swap. You will enjoy the shit out of your Jeep upon completion.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-20-2018, 07:29 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

I'm sure you will have a blast. Thank you for the update. My plan is for next year since my 3.8 has 150k+

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-21-2018, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post
I have done a Hemi swap with a JSS kit, which is similar. You have the body off, if I had to do it again I would have put a set of SRT8 headers or some aftermarket headers while I had it apart. I got a set after the fact and have been sitting on my toolbox nearly two years. Bets of luck with the swap. You will enjoy the shit out of your Jeep upon completion.
A set of SRT8 header type manifolds came with the crate motor and a clutch, pressure plate and flywheel. I haven't checked the manifolds for fit in the chassis. I have Borla headers and full exhaust on order. There is a shitload of extra stuff between with takeout 3.6 and things off the crate motor.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Wheeler

This is just advice and not intended to badmouth your plans but as someone who has studied Hemi vs LS swaps before deciding on the LS, I would tell you that there are many reasons why I decided on the LS route. Some of them are; LS swap is easier with the right kit (I used RPM Extreme Kit), the LS is lighter, the LS does not require physical modifications to the car other than new motor mounts, the LS get's better gas mileage typically, and the LS swap is cheaper to do by a substantial amount. I used a new LS3 430hp crate motor and almost new 6L80 transmission and the cost to do it myself with almost all new accessory drive was about $15K. I have seen many Hemi conversions and have yet to see one that turned out as well as mine. After doing the swap my Jeep has had zero problems associated with the conversion and it now has 40K miles on it. If you are open minded about the LS swap call Jon at RPM Extreme before buying a kit. His conversions are the best on the market in my opinion. Good luck to you though either way you go.
4wheels4life likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-16-2018, 06:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
This is just advice and not intended to badmouth your plans but as someone who has studied Hemi vs LS swaps before deciding on the LS, I would tell you that there are many reasons why I decided on the LS route. Some of them are; LS swap is easier with the right kit (I used RPM Extreme Kit), the LS is lighter, the LS does not require physical modifications to the car other than new motor mounts, the LS get's better gas mileage typically, and the LS swap is cheaper to do by a substantial amount. I used a new LS3 430hp crate motor and almost new 6L80 transmission and the cost to do it myself with almost all new accessory drive was about $15K. I have seen many Hemi conversions and have yet to see one that turned out as well as mine. After doing the swap my Jeep has had zero problems associated with the conversion and it now has 40K miles on it. If you are open minded about the LS swap call Jon at RPM Extreme before buying a kit. His conversions are the best on the market in my opinion. Good luck to you though either way you go.
$15k for your swap isnít bad I suppose. The LS May be 100-150lbs lighter. I canít see, especially at the time I did a V8 swap(2.5 years ago) an LS swap being easier. Donít know about now either. I did a Hemi swap that was plug and play. Only mod was welding on new motor mounts. Never done anything like this in my life. Started up first time. Never had an issue. Install looks very clean. I am a pretty critical person and I am happy. Even if I had done an LS swap I would have done a 6.2 or nothing. The 5.3, was not an option. The wifeís Yukon has one, not exciting. Did a 5.7 Hemi swap after selling the 3.8 engine and trans, and the Xfer case that came with the Hemi I have south of $7k in it. I do not have a Borla exhaust. Would be nice. But I did go to the local exhaust shop.
Rodjk and GobiRecon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode