What Radiator is everyone using in their 5.7vvt JK? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME
  • 1 Post By da20captain
  • 1 Post By scubatech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-27-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
What Radiator is everyone using in their 5.7vvt JK?

My Northern Radiator didnt make it 5mo and it sprung a leak. I got it from Summit, and those folks are amazing. They drop shipped me a replacement. As a long term, I am thinking there has to be a better radiator.

What is everyones trans temp in their 5.7 JKs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-28-2018, 06:59 AM
JKowners Vendor

I would rework the upper mounts. the radiator needs to be loose from the core support so when the jeep flexes all the force doesn't go into the radiator and break the welds.

Maybe come up with a better rubber isolator and don't crank the bolts down all the way.
Rodjk likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #3 of 12 Old 02-28-2018, 10:24 AM
Rock God

I am on my 3rd radiator post Hemi swap. The first I got about. A year and a half. Northern. The next I ordered from summit. Lasted about 8 months I guess. The leak was actually at the filler neck so ..... But this fresh one has been in a couple months maybe. We will see. Next I may spend some bucks and get one from CR Racing. A little pricey but according to the tec( guy I spoke to they make theirs thicker in the areas known for weakness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-20-2018, 08:57 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I also have a Northern radiator (JSS included it in their "kit"). It's not flat, but rather a little warped on the face and slightly curved on top. It looks like something I would have thrown together in the garage. My stock 3.8 radiator looks much better made.

Doing an initial fit of major components, I found that the lower radiator mounts aren't resting on the stock rubber isolators. Going to try to clean up the upper mounts like RPMExtreme said and maybe also add some poly or rubber spacers under the lower mounts.
Attached Images

Last edited by rockystock; 04-21-2018 at 11:01 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-21-2018, 05:57 AM
Granite Guru

da20, You will like the C&R radiator. Mine is two years old now and I've never added a drop of fluid. I have the one I took out from Michigan Brazing, doesn't leak, for a $100.00 if someone needs one cheap.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
I would rework the upper mounts. the radiator needs to be loose from the core support so when the jeep flexes all the force doesn't go into the radiator and break the welds.

Maybe come up with a better rubber isolator and don't crank the bolts down all the way.
As suggested by you guys previously, I removed the steel insert and fitted a different bolt, but still felt that radiator was too confined by the mount.

I'll see how this goes....

post #7 of 12 Old 04-23-2018, 06:14 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodjk View Post
As suggested by you guys previously, I removed the steel insert and fitted a different bolt, but still felt that radiator was too confined by the mount.

I'll see how this goes....

That looks pretty good.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #8 of 12 Old 04-27-2018, 11:10 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

OK so I spoke to Todd at JSS today. He said the C&R radiators are made to fit the car Hemi, and that he gets a modified version from C&R where the lower hose is shifted, and the shroud bolt holes are moved to fit the JSS metal shroud.

Can anyone with the JSS truck hemi confirm this? Sending my Northern back and getting C&R but trying to avoid other problems... Thanks in advance!
post #9 of 12 Old 04-27-2018, 05:25 PM
Rock God

I have a truck Hemi JSS conversion. This is the style you want. I am a couple radiator past the one I got from Todd. I replaced his with the $385 job from summit. Worked ok but was lazy decided t9 go to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and 30 minutes later the thin* was leaking from the filler neck so don’t know after six months with that particular radiator it was quality, corrosion or stupidity. I am leaning towards the Jiffy Lube guys. I had an extra that summit sent and now that’s in so we will see. That being said if I have to replace another I am going to go with the CR Racing model. I spoke to a design guy and I believe the make all their shit and 3 times thicker. Most of these other guys buy the cores from China and weld some tanks to them. Even a notable $1500 radiator does that according to my conversation with CR. With a truck Hemi this is the style you need.

https://www.crracing.com/jeep_wrangl...emi_conversion

Also this las5 go around I got a radiator cap with a sacrificial anode and grounded the radiator per advice of CR Racing guy
post #10 of 12 Old 04-28-2018, 12:33 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

That's good advice - I'll also add a sacrificial anode and ground the radiator.

I spoke with C&R yesterday and confirmed that they do a slightly modified version of their "6.4 Hemi" radiator for Jeep Speed Shop. The biggest difference is the location and size of the coolant return tube. The version you can get directly from C&R has a 1.75" return tube and is located higher up. The Jeep Speed Shop version has a 2.0" return tube (to match the truck water pump) and is located about four inches lower than the direct C&R version. My Northern radiator looks pretty close to the modified design C&R does for JSS.

I don't know why Todd locates the tube lower (I'll try to ask him next week). I threw my engine back in the Jeep tonight but can't see where there would be any major interference with a higher return tube, even with the stock air box. Anyone else have an explanation?

Other than the tube difference, there are a couple of bolt holes missing from the regular C&R version; but I think the hooks at the bottom of the radiator could be drilled and tapped, and a couple of metal tabs could be welded on to the JSS shroud to make it all work.

Thinking about just going with the unmodified C&R radiator and running a rubber hose reducer for the return. It's either that or hope JSS can get his radiator design drop shipped without too much delay.
Attached Images

Last edited by rockystock; 04-28-2018 at 12:36 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-28-2018, 03:04 AM
Rock God

Just an FYI, the $375 model radiator I bought from Summit was identical to the custom $750 model I bought from JSS. The radiator I bought fromJSS was stamped Northern. Not sure if it matters much that one outlet bing lower or higher . If you use the TJ coolant overflow bottle may make the space tighter but I am not looking 7nder the hood at the moment
rockystock likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-28-2018, 05:58 AM
Granite Guru

You Guys will be glad you bought the C & R radiator. Mine has been in two years and works great. You'll notice the quality when you unbox it. I put the GM tablets in mine as they are cheap & recommended for all aluminum head engines. It's no fun pulling those radiators out, so hopefully you won't have to do it again.
rockystock likes this.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode