Leaking Radiator Saga.... - Page 3 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 55 Old 07-30-2019, 08:59 AM
Wheeler

Has anyone had any luck with the Northern radiators? They are a lot cheaper than the C&R but if they have issues the cost is irrelevant to me. My CSF is leaking only after 2500 miles on swap so I would like to upgrade once to eliminate the problem. A big issue with my 5.3 is the outlet orientation on the passenger side of the radiator. If the outlet was pointed 90 degrees (and shorter) or at a down angle it would be manageable but the tilt up makes it a pain to deal with as there is to much crowding at the top with the intake plenum. I don't like currently having to go across the radiator with a solid tube and would prefer looping down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 Old 07-30-2019, 01:37 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I know of others that have been through several Northern radiators. They are about a third the cost of C&R. Last year, I had both the Northern and C&R (and OEM) in hand for a couple of days. My Northern radiator was obviously poorly made (looked like I could have thrown it together in my garage), with a warped top of the core. The OEM radiator was clearly better made. The C&R radiator made the Northern look like a hot pile of garbage. However, I think some Northerns have run OK so it might be worth a try, but also take every precaution to minimize flexing and electrolysis either way.
post #53 of 55 Old 11-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Wheeler

Leaking LS Converted Radiators - Update

Well its Nov 2019 and I have a radiator in my JK that is a beast. It's built like something that you would see as an oil cooler in an M-1 tank engine. It has held up thus far very well. Brice Thomas Radiator took my last radiator that started leaking (one of theirs) and re-cored it with a super heavy duty core that has performed perfectly. I have now gone thru a hot summer and freezing fall (6 deg) on my last trip out west and the radiator performed perfectly. The core fins and tubes are very heavy duty and by appearances, you would look at this thing and wonder how air could go thru it, but it works perfectly. I'm running a Pentastar variable speed fan. I believe that traditional constructed aluminum radiators are too thin for the LS Jeeps but I stopped trying to figure out the problem a while ago. After four HD radiators in as many years, I just accept it as an issue with them. The jeep runs around 195-208 in summer and 195 +/- in freezing weather conditions while going over the Rockies. In fact, I needed to put a cloth over part of the radiator in the mountains as it was running around 190 with an outside ambient of 6 deg. The cloth was just enough to bring the temp back up to around 197-200 deg. Yeah, that is slightly on cold side for the LS3 but I'm not worried. I believe that when Brice Thomas Radiator built mine, there was only one other out there like it at the time. Call Jon @ RPM Extreme or Chris @ Brice Thomas Radiator if you have questions about it. Just a note but both Jon @ RPM Extreme and Chris Culp @ Brice Thomas are excellent to work with and as knowledgeable as anyone when it comes to LS JK's. Both those guys are customer oriented and problem solvers. I'm a happy old guy now.
rockystock and Mjp83 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 55 Old 11-26-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Reddog,

Thanks for the update. I too wanted to share my own findings:

Replaced my dual core CFS with a stock radiator, but upgraded to the Camaro SS fan. Knock on wood, itís been 4 months and no leaks!

Now, running down the road, my 5.3 gen V would get to about 197 with the aluminum radiator. Now, with the stock rad it runs about 208, but as soon as the fan comes on, it cools down in a hurry! It has so much more power. I hammered on it pretty hard off road and pulling a boat, and it never went past the 215 fan set point.

2011 JKU L83 V8
post #55 of 55 Old 11-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Granite Guru

Just an update from me also. My C&R radiator is working perfectly. No leaks and temp is holding steady at 195-200 all the time. I am also running a pentastar fan controlled by the gm computer. It was an expensive radiator but worth every penny so far!

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode