• 1 Post By ExWrench
  • 2 Post By snout
  • 1 Post By snout
  • 1 Post By Nucleophile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-04-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
302 swap

Has anyone out in Jeepland done an engine swap with a ford 302? I know this may sound crazy but to me it works. I want to buy a Boss 302 from Ford along with a Painless wiring kit for like a '72 Bronco and wire the Jeep that way. I know it will mean all new gauges but the simplicity of not having to get the Jeep to speak Ford would make it worth it. I am old school, really old school, and I think it would work very well. My biggest question is the installation of the motor in the JK. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Do you mean the Clevor-like 302 crap or that new modular crap?

Last edited by snout; 01-04-2018 at 05:21 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-04-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage

I'm talking a factory crate Boss 302 from the good old days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Random Dude

Wrong 302 . . .

A wheeling Jeep is not an appropriate vehicle for an old-school Boss 302 (unless you're building it for sand drags, mud drags, or similar). Waste of great engine and a potentially great vehicle, IMHO.

Why I feel I'm not completely talking out my ass:
I've stuffed a 351C 4V (same heads as a Boss 302) into a '65 Mustang and it made jack shit for power below 2500 RPM (above 2500, gobs of torque everywhere ).

The intake ports that you can almost drop a golf ball through and the 2.19" intake valves are made to excel at high RPM at the expense of low-RPM performance.

The old Boss 302 is really a race / track engine, and it kinda' sucks at around-town daily driving. That engine begs to be beaten like a rented mule, and it will reward you when you do, but it is frustratingly "meh" when it's not in its happy place.

Do what you want but, unless you're building a high-RPM race car, that's a stupid engine swap candidate.

I'd love a 302, but I'd do a 5.0L from an early '90s fox body, probably punched out to 331 or 347 cubes and topped with aluminum heads. To me, that would be a very rewarding, compact, lightweight jar of torque for a wheelin' Jeep.

EDIT: if you don't want fuel injection (I get it, my F250 w/428CJ is carbureted) I'd build an aluminum-head 331 or 347 carbureted, but with WINDSOR heads.
Also, if you haven't wheeled with a carburetor, it can suck . . .

Either way, please post photos of your swap! One way or another, it will be interesting

(photo snagged via google image search attached here to illustrate ginormous intake ports)
Attached Images

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 01-04-2018 at 07:43 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-05-2018, 07:46 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

The 302 (or a bored rebuilt 306) is about as far as I would take it for an offroad application. Not sure why you'd want a high rev 331 / 347 to putter over rocks.

Also, I don't get everyone's obsession with putting Cleveland heads on a Windsor block, but there's better options with mildly modified Windsor heads, or better yet 3rd party aluminum heads. I spent the majority of the late 90's / early 2000's trying to squeeze power out of a 302, then went to a 351 until Mr. Smog started measuring deck height, then back. At the time, oiling was still an issue with 347s. Working on fox bodies is a lot of fun, but my observation was if you wanted to pass smog and win races, the Windsor platform was a waste of time.

I know there will always be the guy that wants to wedge in something "different" but let's be real here.. if you are on a forum asking how to make a carbed 302 "speak Jeep", you aren't going to be swapping anything.

EDIT: Somehow I didn't see anything ExWrench said in between those photos. So I should have just x2'd him : )
ExWrench and ChuckTheRipper like this.

Last edited by snout; 01-05-2018 at 07:53 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-05-2018, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Speaking Jeep isn't the issue. Rewiring it to a simple format would eliminate the need for an ECM. A simple electronic ignition and a Holly EFI would be all the computer/ high tech modern control it would have. My concern is about any sort of kit available to install it. I see tons of info on
Chevy and Dodge engines but not a lot on Ford. Doing a custom job is an option but I would rather have some sort of kit that someone has made to eliminate all the engineering problems that would arise.
As for wheeling with a carb, been there, done that. I am not some young punk with wild ideas. If you set the carb up right, they do just fine in the hills.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNMAD! View Post
Speaking Jeep isn't the issue. Rewiring it to a simple format would eliminate the need for an ECM. A simple electronic ignition and a Holly EFI would be all the computer/ high tech modern control it would have. My concern is about any sort of kit available to install it. I see tons of info on
Chevy and Dodge engines but not a lot on Ford. Doing a custom job is an option but I would rather have some sort of kit that someone has made to eliminate all the engineering problems that would arise.
As for wheeling with a carb, been there, done that. I am not some young punk with wild ideas. If you set the carb up right, they do just fine in the hills.
Report to KOWBOY's thread. He's ripped out all of the factory crap in exchange for just the basics + all at high altitude. If you live in an area where you can do that without your nanny-state telling you no, more power to you.

I get what you want to do, I just don't get why you want to use the wrong block. Why do you want a Boss 302 vs. 302HO build? I know the differences, but do you? A 302HO designed for low-end grunt? That might be a fun challenge.

Just curious, why not an LS swap?
doc5339 likes this.

Last edited by snout; 01-05-2018 at 10:44 AM.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-05-2018, 12:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post

Those are some big ass ports. Almost the size of the R07 heads I have that are meant to run a 355cid a 9800rpm.

Kevin
post #9 of 16 Old 01-05-2018, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage

There is no issue with emissions so I don't have that problem. As for boss vs normal, and I do know the difference, the boss is probably overkill unless I stuck to mud or sand dunes. Years ago I built what Hot Rod defined as a "bogus boss". I stuffed it in my 69 F-100 with a close ratio top-loader and pulled low 12's. This is just an idea for the moment. I still want to know if there is a sb-ford kit being made tho. As for the chevy motor, I actually have one sitting here. I picked up an older Suburban with a killer 5.7 in it for this very purpose. Its got Edlebrock heads on it 1.7 rockers etc...... but it would be vanilla. Everyone does Chevy or, if they are rich, they stuff a hemi into their Jeep. Next to Jeep, Ford is my choice. Anyway, thanks for your opinion. Time will tell what will happen!
post #10 of 16 Old 01-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Rock God

I guess I am completely lost here. You want to stick a boss 302 motor in a JK. You didn't specify what year JK, but then I guess it does not matter.

I have been on the JK forums since the JK came out. I have never seen or even heard of anyone doing a kit to swap any kind of a Ford motor into a JK, let alone a boss 302 motor. The market size for such a swap would be limited to you I am afraid.

And if you want to strip out all the current gen electronics, (no more cruise control, HVAC, radio, ABS, etc, etc) what exactly do you need in a KIT?? The motor mounts and radiator???? Any of the LS or hemi swap radiators would work and well shit, just fab the damn motor mounts.

If you want such a thing, why not just buy a CJ7 and do it. That is essentially where you will end up anyway.
ALASHA likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-05-2018, 09:00 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Where's bluewave, he can help you do this swap for under 250k. He might throw in the front leaf springs for freeeeee.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
Where's bluewave, he can help you do this swap for under 250k.
Now, be fair - that build took the roll cage to the next level . . . because it was too low, & gonna smack the driver in the head

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #13 of 16 Old 01-06-2018, 01:22 PM
Granite Guru

OP - give Novak and/or Advance Adapters a call as they have probably at least given a “kit” thought and should be able to recommend things less easy to fab like exhaust manifolds/headers, cooling system, etc.

Those folks already have Ford related stuff up to the TJ and I imagine with the JK’s age getting up there they are looking into it for non-integrated installs.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Now, be fair - that build took the roll cage to the next level . . . because it was too low, & gonna smack the driver in the head
You beat me to it. I was just going to say the bar was set so low, someone tripped over it. hahah.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-20-2018, 12:19 PM

OP-did you do/start the swap? I went through the same dilemma, I really wanted to do the 302 and the only reason I didn't was because I found a screaming deal on a 4.8 Chevy/trans/tc. This project wasn't a jk but an old commando, but if I had the 302 I would have used that and probably a sniper kit or even the efi kit the Howell is making for the ford...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #16 of 16 Old 04-20-2018, 12:21 PM

And the 302 is a loooong motor front to back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode