Cummins 2.8 Diesel JK conversion harness By RpmExtreme - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME
  • 1 Post By ChuckTheRipper
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 10-18-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Cummins 2.8 Diesel JK conversion harness By RpmExtreme

Coming soon. We are currently in the testing stages for this product.

Our Cummins® R2.8 conversion JK harness fully integrates into the JK factory systems and provide full OEM Jeep functions.

I smell diesel fuel

Pharmguy75 and 4wheels4life like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-18-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Saved for future updates and cool stuff

post #3 of 22 Old 10-21-2017, 02:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very cool. Is that engine out of something, or is it a crate? I know nothing about them.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 10-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Very cool. Is that engine out of something, or is it a crate? I know nothing about them.
Cummins recently introduced their “crate” program called Cummins Repower and this is the first available of a couple of models they plan to bring to market.

https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx

Very interested in the developments here. May have to add a 2 dr to the JKUR LS3 stable (after some spousal persuasion).
post #5 of 22 Old 10-21-2017, 07:52 PM
Granite Guru

Not a JK, but a nice intro to the cummins repower packages.

post #6 of 22 Old 10-24-2017, 02:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That little diesel in a lightweight 2dr would be fantastic.

Kevin
post #7 of 22 Old 10-24-2017, 04:10 PM
JKO Addict!

I ran one day at Moab with the Cummins crew and two TJ's with the swap. They were getting 30 mpg out of one on 33's and 3.07 gears and around 20 out of the one with 37's and 4.88. Too small for a JKU and they kinda screwed some of the companies working on bringing these to market. Price is a bit high at around $12K for parts plus the transmission and adapters.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #8 of 22 Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 AM
Rock God

The power/price ratio takes any interest I would have out of this. Besides mpg, I would consider this a complete downgrade; and I have a 3.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coilrod likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 10-25-2017, 07:41 AM
JKO Addict!

They had plans to bring the 5 liter from the Nissan pick up but I heard last week they have shelved those plans for now. That would have been a better fit for the JK.
coilrod likes this.

Some build info here:

post #10 of 22 Old 10-25-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

I agree that this 2.8 is underpowered for a heavy 4door JK. But a lighter 2 door it should do fine. Cummins never really intended this 2.8 for use in anything newer then 1996 (pre OBD2) but several companies are making adapters to install them in JKs anyway.

Im pretty sure Cummins plans on releasing a larger diesel repower in the near future.

We have had people asking for this adapter harness so we will be making it work and hopefully when Cummins releases the larger engine it will work for it as well.

post #11 of 22 Old 10-25-2017, 12:25 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I ran one day at Moab with the Cummins crew and two TJ's with the swap. They were getting 30 mpg out of one on 33's and 3.07 gears and around 20 out of the one with 37's and 4.88. Too small for a JKU and they kinda screwed some of the companies working on bringing these to market. Price is a bit high at around $12K for parts plus the transmission and adapters.
This makes the LS swap even sweeter! I have 6.0 (tuned to 325hp/356 tq at the wheels)/6L80E/4.56/37s and getting between 20-22 mpg. Even onPritchett Canyon I did not come off the Full indicator until almost back in town.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #12 of 22 Old 10-25-2017, 05:46 PM
JKO Addict!

4.88 and 37's is way too high a gearing and 3.73 would be better for fuel economy.

Some build info here:

post #13 of 22 Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
I agree that this 2.8 is underpowered for a heavy 4door JK. But a lighter 2 door it should do fine. Cummins never really intended this 2.8 for use in anything newer then 1996 (pre OBD2) but several companies are making adapters to install them in JKs anyway.

This isn't directed towards you, so please don't take offense; but whoever would spend the 12-15k? (DIY) for "fine" is an absolute moron....
post #14 of 22 Old 10-26-2017, 04:31 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
This isn't directed towards you, so please don't take offense; but whoever would spend the 12-15k? (DIY) for "fine" is an absolute moron....
a diesel can bring much to the table and not everybody's needs boil down to sheer horsepower.

'09 JK, Dynatrac ProRock 44, 5.38s, ARBs, NV 241OR transfer case, Yukon 1310/1350 driveshafts, JK8 brakes, Hydroboost booster, Evo sway bar disconnect, ect...
post #15 of 22 Old 10-26-2017, 05:07 AM
Gib
Rock God

The 2.8 just isn't enough engine to be worth it. I'm seriously looking at buying a 4 dr. JK from an insurance auction from Harvey for a powertrain swap. I'd love to use a Diesel, but it isn't worth the hassle for what it provides right now, so I'm probably going to go with a LS.
post #16 of 22 Old 10-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
The 2.8 just isn't enough engine to be worth it. I'm seriously looking at buying a 4 dr. JK from an insurance auction from Harvey for a powertrain swap. I'd love to use a Diesel, but it isn't worth the hassle for what it provides right now, so I'm probably going to go with a LS.
I've always thought the 4BT with an Alison trans would be a cool swap and enough power to enjoy the JKU. The kits are about the same cost as the LS. For me it came down to two things, #1 I'm not a diesel mechanic and #2 my wife isn't fond of the sound. I'm getting so much torque out of the 6.0 it's insane. The only thing I would change is upgrading to the Gen V LS with diesel like direct injection and flat torque curve. I have a guy lined up for the early spring to do a Gen V 5.3/6L80E in a 2010 two door.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #17 of 22 Old 10-26-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

If I was going to do a diesel I would go with a 3.0 turbo diesel. They ran them in the sprinter vans and the grand cherokee.
They run the AW580 (nag1) and in my sprinter van it will pull my Jeep on a trailer and the huge van just fine so I know it would do awesome in a JK

post #18 of 22 Old 10-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Rock God

Jon,

How difficult would it be to integrate the 3.0 to the JK?

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #19 of 22 Old 10-26-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
Jon,

How difficult would it be to integrate the 3.0 to the JK?
Honestly with some homework and proper choice of engine year and donor vehicle I think it would be a pretty strait forward swap on a 12+ JK since it already uses the NAG1 trans.

post #20 of 22 Old 10-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
Good luck with the insurance auction part. I gave up. Make sure you are looking at one that has a REPAIRABLE salvage title. And then get ready to pay big money. Read the fine print and understand all the fees.
post #21 of 22 Old 10-27-2017, 03:33 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
Honestly with some homework and proper choice of engine year and donor vehicle I think it would be a pretty strait forward swap on a 12+ JK since it already uses the NAG1 trans.
How bout the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel? It comes with the ZF 8HP 8 speed tranny.

Having one in my 2017 1500 I have to say the 3.0 is a pretty nice engine. Considerably less clatter than the bigger HD diesels out there but still puts down 420lb/ft of torque near 2000rpm. There is not a whole slew of aftermarket upgrades for them though. Tuning the ECU's is still a bench flash as the big tuning companies haven't tried because of lack of market, or just can't do it, crack the code to allow flash tuning.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #22 of 22 Old 10-27-2017, 06:34 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
How bout the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel? It comes with the ZF 8HP 8 speed tranny.

Having one in my 2017 1500 I have to say the 3.0 is a pretty nice engine. Considerably less clatter than the bigger HD diesels out there but still puts down 420lb/ft of torque near 2000rpm. There is not a whole slew of aftermarket upgrades for them though. Tuning the ECU's is still a bench flash as the big tuning companies haven't tried because of lack of market, or just can't do it, crack the code to allow flash tuning.
I'm guessing that's the engine/trans combo coming in the JL/JT for 2018/19. That would be impressive!

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode