2 JK LS SWAPS. BOTH 6.2! GEN 4 AND 5 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 10-06-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2 JK LS SWAPS. BOTH 6.2! GEN 4 AND 5

Hey guys I'm not much into starting build threads but I figured why not start with a dual swap thread right?
I build jeeps on the side currently for my friends and decided to do 2 swaps at the same time. One mine, one my buddies
I decided to use motech because he supports the gen v motors and has the gen iv figured out a while ago.

Buddies
2012 4 door rubicon, auto, 37s
2016 L86 and 8l90e trans out of an escalade. (may do DOD delete and mild texas speed cam)
I have the wiring harness and front acessories*but no TCM,BCM or ECM
I will need to purchase them separately along with a the basic gen v*kit, diy exhaust 2.5" primaries, t case adapter,*biggest radiator and Camaro SS fan

Mine
2010 4 door sahara manual, UD 60s,40s
2012 LS3 long block 416 stroker, livernois cnc ported heads, arp studded and 10.7:1 comp pistons,225/236 .629"/615" 111 LSA texas speed cam and callies rotating assembly
2013 Camaro 2wd 6l80e (plan on running stock convertor)
I do not have anything else other than a long block to work with at the moment
I plan on running LS3 car intake set up
I need the basic gen 4*kit, with the biggest radiator and Camaro ss fan set up. I already have the t case adapter also for the 6l80e so that will not need to be purchased.
for this build I plan on using the newer auto shifter and a maxbilt custom center console so I can utilize tap shift off the shifter

I am in the beginning stages of hashing out the details of the builds with Robbie and mitch.
I will try to be as specific as I can so the next guy will be better informed. above is what I sent to Robbie to get an email string going. maybe he will chime in on here also.

Just a FYI for anyone doing this so far I have learned a lot of differences of these kits and what they do and do not come with.

-First gen v do not come with the ECM,TCM or BCM. also you will need to supply the stock wiring off your motor for them to modify.

-Secondly you do use your own stock front acc off the donor motor with the addition of the power steering bracket for the jk.

-The gen 4 kit seems to be quite ironed out and comes with everything other than I need to remove the TCM from under the valve body on
the 6l80e trans vs the 8l90e is external

-When taking down the jeep for the swap t here is things you need to send motech. first is ac lines, so they can modify them for the ls motor, second is the engine bay harness. and lastly is the C100 wiring harness which basically goes to the transmission and shifter

10 JKU ud60s, 40" trail grapplers, kmc machete, blower and some aluminum
LJ Ls6 stroker 408. 60/14bolt. 42s. Bypass/coil over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-09-2017, 07:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knixon804 View Post
-When taking down the jeep for the swap t here is things you need to send motech. first is ac lines, so they can modify them for the ls motor, second is the engine bay harness. and lastly is the C100 wiring harness which basically goes to the transmission and shifter
I thought all this was no longer required with the latest and greatest kit using the MoCAN?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-13-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Nope. I thought so too. They need both to make it work. So figure that in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 10-23-2017, 12:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
I thought all this was no longer required with the latest and greatest kit using the MoCAN?
Quote:
Nope. I thought so too. They need both to make it work. So figure that in.
@MoTech since you are back on the board answering questions, how about this one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-24-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

This is overview of the Gen V drivetrain into your Jeep.

The L83 (Truck 5.3), L86 (Truck 6.2), and LT1 (Camaro/Corvette) are currently supported. Either a 6L80E or the 8L90E transmissions must be used and programmed to match your engine. It is best to get a complete drop out with matching transmission, computers, and engine harness. To save money get the engine with all accessories, wiring harness, and computers. The 8L90E has an external computer. The 6L80e is internal.

Accessory Drive - The Gen V truck drive is the only drive we support at this time. We add a power steering pump and bracket to this drive. The vacuum pump will need retained on the GM drive. The truck drive will clear the LT1 intake with alternative belt routing.

Cooling system- The stock radiator is fine with the L83 engine. The 6.2 engines should use our heavy duty radiator. A GM fan must be used. This way the GM computer controls the fan as OEM intended. The Pentastar fan is not supported due to the different fan signal.

Functionality- Tap Shift and AC control are supported. Cruise in the test stages and will be functioning soon.
Fuel System- The stock pump works great. Gen V engines can run on 87 Octane. Using premium fuel will increase performance due to the ability to run more timing. Current MPG range from 15 to 19 MPG. Displacement on Demand (DOD) can be used for maximum fuel economy. It is recommended to run a quiet exhaust system when doing this. 4 cylinder mode can sound obtrusive. For DOD works best on lightweight jeeps. It will not work well with 40” inch tires.

A/C System
The compressor will be the GM gen V compressor in the stock location on the Gen V engine. We provide a billet adapter block to install the AC lines. AC pressure is monitored by the GM computer and the fan will run accordingly to control the ac pressures. The higher the pressure the faster the fan will run.

Mounting the Engine and transmission- The Gen V uses Motech EZ mounts that drop in without welding. The factory mounts will not be used. We have an alternative part number that has to be used with the EZ mounts. The L86 Engine uses a larger intake than the L83 and LT1. It will kiss the firewall padding. The beauty cover will need to be removed to clear the hood.

Power Levels

L83 355hp, 383 tq
L86 420hp, 460 tq
LT1 450hp, 450 tq
We find the L83 to outperform the 6.0. It makes more hp and torque. It performs great and is very affordable. Lots of torque and makes great horsepower.
The L86 is what we recommend for maximum performance on heavy jeeps. It is the only natural aspirated engine that can easily roast 40” tires. It idles at 500 rpm and makes crazy torque at low rpms. This is perfect for heavy modified Jeeps.
LT1 performs similar to the L86 with less down low torque due to the intake manifold design. The L86 and LT1 are the same long block engines. The power difference comes from intake and exhaust manifolds. The calibrations are different but we can tune both for best power.

What parts we need to modify for the Beta Kits.

Your factory GM Gen V engine harness. ( New harness available for extra cost)
GM Gen V Engine Computer (We will need to program) (New Available for extra cost)
Jeep Computer if using remote start
Jeep engine harness (07 to 11 C100) - 2012 to Current (Pentastar engine harness)
AC Lines

Emissions- The Gen V kits include an emissions harness. All 4 02 sensors will be used along with a functioning EVAP system just like our Gen IV kits.

Exhaust System- Factory Gen V exhaust manifolds fit great. We sell an exhaust kit if needed.

Drive Shafts?

Jeep Interior modifications- The Gen V gas pedal will be provided along with the mount. Your factory pedal will stay in the factory location. You will need to shorten the jeep pedal so it is out of the way. It is needed to reset oil life. A scanner can reset oil life if you desire to remove the jeep pedal. The factory cruise signal wire in the column will be tapped into to provide a signal to the Mocan module. The motech interior wiring is plug in play besides that cruise wire and brake switch. The provides the GM gas pedal connector, OBDII, and Mocan interface plug.
doc5339 likes this.

post #6 of 31 Old 11-17-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

11-17-17

So I ordered my kit a couple weeks ago and just got info that it shipped. I couldn't wait so I started tearing in!

First of all I am using a 16 auto shifter and center console. I sent my shifter out to robbi to get modified.

Secondly I am using a 13 Camaro 2wd trans, I had to adapt the trans to 4wd and plug the 2 holes along with the back and put a 4WD seal. Also I had to remove the TCM from the trans to send to mitch so he could sync it with the computer they are sending me. (I built my motor from the ground up. it wasn't a pullout)

I pulled the tub off the frame. it actually was not as hard as I thought. Just make sure everything is disconnected. I ended up printing out motechs manual for my swap. made it pretty easy

after pulling the tub I sent him my PCM and C100 harness so he could use some connectors. the PCM gets sent out to remove some stuff in case I wanted to have remote start in the future (mines a manual so its not an option now)

post #7 of 31 Old 11-17-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Pics from the post above
Attached Images

post #8 of 31 Old 11-18-2017, 08:28 AM
Wheeler

Looks like a great start. A couple of questions to ask:

I get the engine harness needs to be modified from the GM harness standpoint but Motech also needs the jeep harness as well?

For planning purposes only, when I'm doing mine how long do you think my jeep be down waiting for Motechs harness recreation, and the EZ kit to arrive?

I see the value of planning ahead but also see certain items slowing the progress down- drivelines, harnesses and any other unforeseen part needs.

I appreciated your cut and paste from Motech since I did not get that much info from them when I emailed them about my swap. Thanks for thread and info.
post #9 of 31 Old 11-18-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

They need the c100 harness. Which is bascially the transmission harness,alternator plug and 2 ac plugs.

As far as down time i waited 2 weeks for them to ship me the hard parts to get me started. Once i had tracking i tore the tub off and started disassembling!

Day 2 the motor came out of the chassis! I got the easy mounts so the alternator, ac compressor and the power steering pump came off for thr ls3. Fortunately i sold my blower for $3200 and my 74k engine for $800
Attached Images

post #10 of 31 Old 11-21-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Day 3 i cleaned my engine bay up and had momma stop over at jk-gear for a rk front long arm 3 link while the tub is off. Pretty easy to cut the link mounts off sitting on the cross member! Also my hard parts arrived! Super excited about that. Hoping to set the motor this long weekend!
Attached Images

Rubi-8 likes this.

post #11 of 31 Old 11-29-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Motors in! Exhaust tomorrow.
Attached Images

post #12 of 31 Old 11-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Granite Guru

Looks great! Thanks for documenting your progress.
post #13 of 31 Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have 3 mufflers designs. One is a super 44 2 into one
Other is a 2 into one y pipe to a single offset magnaflow and a single offset super 40.
I also have a vibrant 14" resinator to plsy around with if needed. As of now i am not running cats but do have a set of magnaflow high flow cats that can be welded in if i wanted. (Exhaust was designed around them)

I built this all myself with some summit racing bends and i have a local shop that lets me use their bender for free
Attached Images

post #14 of 31 Old 12-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Wheeler

Garage

i like it, looking good. What size exhaust tubing are you using?
post #15 of 31 Old 12-07-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2.5 duals into a 3" single out

post #16 of 31 Old 12-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Wheeler

Sounds like something Weinstein’s would have had.

Seriously how loud or quiet is your goal? I like the sound of a v8 but isn’t it different with a convertible jeep as oppose to throaty old iron 60’s muscle car.
post #17 of 31 Old 12-08-2017, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have a son that always comes with me he is only 1 year old at the end of thr month. So quiet is my goal. Ill post more pics of my exhaust next week

post #18 of 31 Old 12-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Wheeler

So magnaflow 22”??
post #19 of 31 Old 12-18-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

HAHA not exactly. All my mufflers are 14" cases with a resonator afterwards. if I need to run a bigger muffler I will.
Not a ton of updates lately since I have ran into some snags. running such a high hp motor I needed to upgrade my fuel pump. robbi told me to run a couple different drop in fuel pumps with little modifications. neither worked for me. so in frustration I went ahead and called Fore innovations and orded a drop in unit for my jeep. they specialize in fuel pumps and quickly had my order shipped out. I am running an aftermarket fuel filter/reg combo and all -6 fuel lines, nothing factory. that is all plumbed in and ready to roll.
The exhaust is basically complete just need to weld on one more hanger.

post #20 of 31 Old 12-18-2017, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Heres some pics of the fuel pump
Attached Images

post #21 of 31 Old 12-18-2017, 03:26 PM
Wheeler

Just remember you have until third week in February to get it done. I start mine then so I will be calling for sure then. Looks great
post #22 of 31 Old 01-16-2018, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
running such a high hp motor I needed to upgrade my fuel pump. robbi told me to run a couple different drop in fuel pumps with little modifications. neither worked for me. so in frustration I went ahead and called Fore innovations and orded a drop in unit for my jeep. they specialize in fuel pumps and quickly had my order shipped out. I am running an aftermarket fuel filter/reg combo and all -6 fuel lines, nothing factory. that is all plumbed in and ready to roll.
The exhaust is basically complete just need to weld on one more hanger.
Which pumps were you told to try? What pump came with Fore Innovations set up? Any other updates?

post #23 of 31 Old 01-19-2018, 08:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
@MoTech since you are back on the board answering questions, how about this one?
I guess we'll never know.

Kevin
post #24 of 31 Old 01-19-2018, 08:14 AM
Wheeler

Where's the F'ing video???? I've waited long enough.
post #25 of 31 Old 01-09-2019, 12:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Just a heads up for anyone reading this thread for the Fore Innovations fuel set up - They dont have a basket around the pump so if you are offer camber, you will most likely have some issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode