LS Swap without a Kit?? - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 47 Old 05-21-2018, 11:56 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Anything can be done with time and money. The question more succinctly is if I were to drop an LS in without a kit. What creature comforts stop working other than the dash and what would it take to get those creature comforts back? That was the original intent of this thread.
It is a valid question. I went with the Motech kit but I do not require emissions. The stock look and feel is pretty great, but with all the modifications to the Jeep a custom dash with some nice gauges might be pretty cool. Not sure how the cost comes out after figuring the dash/gauges and AC into it, but I would be interested in hearing from those who've done it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 47 Old 05-22-2018, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Factory AC can be run stand alone as Kowboy is doing. Or you can run a Vintage Air system, that's the route I'm taking due to space constraints. The Vintage Air is obviously stand alone too.

Cruise control, if you're running an LS drivetrain, can be done with a Dakota Digital module. It ties into the gas peddle, either the OBDII port or a VSS signal (two different models) and the GM ECU. You'll need a controller (new stalk or pad) also. Maybe you could get fancy with wiring and use the factory stalk, I have no idea.

The gauge cluster, I got nothing. It seems to be a little computer that's tied into everything else.

What other creature comforts are you looking for?

Kevin
post #28 of 47 Old 05-22-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
What other creature comforts are you looking for?
Radio, doors, car alarm, windows, remote start. I think those are the biggies other than AC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 47 Old 05-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
remote start

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #30 of 47 Old 05-22-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
I park indoors now but when I was in the Springs, being able to remote start from the apartment and let it warm up was quite useful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #31 of 47 Old 05-22-2018, 07:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just thinking out loud here.

* Without a swap kit, the Jeep and GM sides don't talk to each other. We know that much.

* Stand alone engine harness gets the Jeep rolling down the road, more or less.

Will the Jeep side flip the fuck out, if it thinks you're driving down the road with the engine off? The brakes will work, the nanny shit wont. I assume something would need to be done with the way the key switch is wired?
Someone smarter, please fill in the blanks.

* AC and cruise can be delt with.

Quote:
Radio, doors, car alarm, windows, remote start.
All those things, except remote start, will work just fine if the Jeep thinks the key is in acc or run.

So here's my big question. If the Jeep thinks it's just sitting there with the key on and engine off, what's to stop a stand alone LS from driving it around?

There has to be some big glaring reasons why this wouldn't work.

Kevin
post #32 of 47 Old 05-23-2018, 12:06 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I park indoors now but when I was in the Springs, being able to remote start from the apartment and let it warm up was quite useful.

Ah hell, just noticed you changed location to Denver.....why would you do that to yourself?? Isn't Springs > Denver?

Quote:
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #33 of 47 Old 05-23-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
Ah hell, just noticed you changed location to Denver.....why would you do that to yourself?? Isn't Springs > Denver?
Depends on what you are looking for. I was looking for more money...

post #34 of 47 Old 05-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Depends on what you are looking for. I was looking for more money...

I guess I should of bought you that beer while you were in the Springs!!

Quote:
post #35 of 47 Old 06-22-2018, 09:17 AM
Rock God

Swap w/o kit = buggy

Makes perfect sense if your starting with a flood vehicle.

*cough*

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #36 of 47 Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Just thinking out loud here.

* Without a swap kit, the Jeep and GM sides don't talk to each other. We know that much.

* Stand alone engine harness gets the Jeep rolling down the road, more or less.

Will the Jeep side flip the fuck out, if it thinks you're driving down the road with the engine off? The brakes will work, the nanny shit wont. I assume something would need to be done with the way the key switch is wired?
Someone smarter, please fill in the blanks.

* AC and cruise can be delt with.

All those things, except remote start, will work just fine if the Jeep thinks the key is in acc or run.

So here's my big question. If the Jeep thinks it's just sitting there with the key on and engine off, what's to stop a stand alone LS from driving it around?

There has to be some big glaring reasons why this wouldn't work.
The same reason people think throttle body spacers and gutted cats make stock engines faster... $$$

Soon to be a vendor!!!
post #37 of 47 Old 06-22-2018, 10:07 AM
Rock God

I can furnish a flex fuel bbc that will both run on the LS ecm or a carb...3 4 or 6 speed auto... if someone with a legit JK wants to see this done...Im in Houston.

Probably a 30 day project

Soon to be a vendor!!!

Last edited by DeucesALLin; 06-22-2018 at 10:09 AM.
post #38 of 47 Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 PM
Granite Guru

Tyler at Rocksolid fab in Chattanooga did this years ago with big booty judy. Its got a supercharged 6 liter in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #39 of 47 Old 06-24-2018, 04:36 PM

ebay sells stand alone harnesses for the LS motor for $400??? i'm wondering why all the need for everything else too....I have no worries about emissions so it maybe an emissions thing?
post #40 of 47 Old 06-25-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrockjeepin View Post
Tyler at Rocksolid fab in Chattanooga did this years ago with big booty judy. Its got a supercharged 6 liter in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From the build thread:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/scrapb...-build-20.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Willys View Post
The thread explains it pretty good but I understand its a lot of stuff to sift through. Basically we kept the JK TIPM and body controller, which is the gauge cluster. The stock JK cluster no longer functions as gauges, but is used solely for the body controller. The LS system is 100% stand alone. It is simply powered from the ignition switch. If everything JK goes haywire, the jeep will still run and drive as long as the ignition switch gets power.

I dont remember how/if HVAC, alarm system and audio was handled/functioning

post #41 of 47 Old 06-25-2018, 10:44 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesALLin View Post
I can furnish a flex fuel bbc that will both run on the LS ecm or a carb...3 4 or 6 speed auto... if someone with a legit JK wants to see this done...Im in Houston.

Probably a 30 day project

You wont get a big block Chevy in a JK, it wont even take you 30 days to figure it out either.
post #42 of 47 Old 06-25-2018, 07:54 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
From the build thread:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/scrapb...-build-20.html

I dont remember how/if HVAC, alarm system and audio was handled/functioning
The LS is setup to run on it's own and the Jeep gauge cluster is back behind the dash still plugged in so everything is happy. He has a custom Autometer setup in the factory location that tells him what the LS is doing, speed, etc. Its been years since I talked to him about it, but I do recall those details.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/2112209-post433.html

post #43 of 47 Old 06-26-2018, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
The LS is setup to run on it's own and the Jeep gauge cluster is back behind the dash still plugged in so everything is happy. He has a custom Autometer setup in the factory location that tells him what the LS is doing, speed, etc. Its been years since I talked to him about it, but I do recall those details.
Getting the LS side of things to operate is the easy part. I like my creature comforts so I want AC, remote start, power everything and audio to remain working.

I guess Im just wearing a tin foil hat with this thread and trying to expose if all those things will still work without a kit...

post #44 of 47 Old 07-02-2018, 03:11 PM

Well i know with my swap i just get in and turn the key and everything works, no hassles and if for any reason will be easy to sell due to everything operating like a Jeep should, hard to sell a modern jeep that doesn't have any heating controls,A/C controls, cruise control, Tap shift from either the Auto shifter or Steering wheel, no auto start and then theres the wiring under the hood that doesn't look factory due to running a aftermarket fan and shroud that isnt computer controlled like it should also for the A/C pressure. Theres also another reason these engine swaps cost so much is all the man hours working out coding for everything to make sure it all works together and not fighting itself....

But if your wanting to be cheap on a LS conversion for your Jeep, go buy a CJ that has no creature comforts as this will be a cheap conversion, while your there might as well stick a cable throttle on too....hahaha

2014 Rubicon JK 5.3 Gen 5 V8
2007 Wrangler Sport 3.8 SC
Dual country owner
post #45 of 47 Old 07-02-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meehan View Post
Well i know with my swap i just get in and turn the key and everything works, no hassles and if for any reason will be easy to sell due to everything operating like a Jeep should, hard to sell a modern jeep that doesn't have any heating controls,A/C controls, cruise control, Tap shift from either the Auto shifter or Steering wheel, no auto start and then theres the wiring under the hood that doesn't look factory due to running a aftermarket fan and shroud that isnt computer controlled like it should also for the A/C pressure. Theres also another reason these engine swaps cost so much is all the man hours working out coding for everything to make sure it all works together and not fighting itself....

But if your wanting to be cheap on a LS conversion for your Jeep, go buy a CJ that has no creature comforts as this will be a cheap conversion, while your there might as well stick a cable throttle on too....hahaha
Did you read this thread before posting or did you just decide to verbally vomit here?
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

post #46 of 47 Old 07-03-2018, 05:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meehan View Post

Who the fuck are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #47 of 47 Old 06-28-2019, 03:33 PM

I recently talked to a turbo guy who has a 2008 jku from pa he is running a 5.3 and 4l80e trans only things he bought for his swap was the transfer case adapter and some tach signal box to make the dash come alive after start up. He is running a holley terminator x for the engine and said he stripped down the jk harness kept all the sensors and adapted them to the ls engine. He usedhe hp tuners and removed a bunch of stuff from the stock Jeep ecm and it still runs a bunch of stuff and keeps things happy. Claims he only has 3k in the whole swap turbo and all it’s all used but this thing is nasty as can be. It does help he is a hot rod guy and does great work. Something to look into I guess I have gone for a ride in the Jeep it doesn’t have dash lights on and everything seems to work the way it should. But I’m no expert just was tickled pink to ride in a turbo v8 jk thing was a rocket ship.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in