Power steering fluid - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 89yjon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-24-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Power steering fluid

What power steering fluid is everyone using that used the GM accessories with there conversions? Since what I have read is GM uses synthetic power steering fluid and Jeep uses ATF+4. I used the ATF+4 in mine and have always had a slight whine, thought it was just the nature of the pump which has been on for 1 1/2 years.

During our Colorado adventure in Ouray a couple weeks ago it really started to whine, fluid is full at hot full and in between cold and hot when cold. At times it would get a heavy steering and then get as light as normal. It is burnt, stinks and it is pushing out the cap, lightly but it is dripping onto the front differential. Hoses are not kinked and do not appear to be collapsed. No cooler installed.

Thinking I will replace the pump and see what fluids are suggested and strongly looking at a cooler for it. Either a stand alone or maybe using the trans cooler in the condenser, if I don't end up using it for the trans along with the external cooler I have now.

Thoughts or suggestions?

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-25-2017, 07:13 AM
Rock God

I have hydro but I'm still running a GM PS pump. I use swepco 715 as recommended by howe and its silent.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-25-2017, 07:18 AM
Rock God

Also I've got this setup I can't use. This will convert your factory cooler lines to -6 AN and I've got some hoses as well. The hoses can be shortened as the ends are reusable. You would just need to put some new oetiker clamps on where you push the hose ends back into the hose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-25-2017, 08:40 AM
Rock God

Do use ATF+4! I made that mistake and wondered why it was whining and no pressure. I flushed the system and went with the ACDelco and do not have any noise, lots of pressure and no overheating. I'm also on hydro but my ram seems to like the AC Delco just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #5 of 9 Old 08-25-2017, 09:25 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Had the same issue and changed to the 6" pulley (from 6.5) and Swepco fluid and now no issues.

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit
post #6 of 9 Old 08-25-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks guys, Couldn't find any ACDelco so I ended up with Valvoline. Sucked what I could out of the ressy, refilled it, ran it, sucked it out and refilled. Still has some whine to it but going to run it for a few days and see what happens.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
post #7 of 9 Old 08-26-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well fluid change did not help. Went out this morning and there was fluid leaking down my front diff. cover. So off to O'Rielly's for a warranty replacement. Mind you these are all reman's, only thing I can find around here. After fighting and twisting I pulled the pump and mount out together. Replaced it all filled it up, bleed it, dropped down onto the ground and it sounds like Sh*t! Growls and bounces with a little bit of whine going on.

So now I get to pull it all out and do it again. I can't leave it set and get a "new" pump so guess I'll try another one

Wish me luck.

post #8 of 9 Old 09-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Granite Guru

I am running royal purple power steering fluid in my jeep. No noise at all but I do have a cooler and hydro assist. My ps pump was a new gm unit when I installed it though.
Rubi-8 likes this.

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
post #9 of 9 Old 09-06-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I ended up putting 3 pumps in and now this one after getting hot will get really hard to steering at or just above idle. I have another thread on for this issue but just a follow up on where I am at. Plus I am pretty sure it has clean fluid in it now seeing as I have had to replace the fluid every time I replace a pump.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode