Gen V L83 swap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 07-10-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Gen V L83 swap

I just finished a GenV 5.3 Liter swap using a Motech Beta kit.

I would like to post a few pictures and share the effort which went into this swap.

Here is some background:
2011 JKU with 125k miles, 3.8 Liter ( which did not burn oil!), 4 spd auto.

This is my second JKU, as my purchased as new green 2011 developed a thirst for oil with less than 30 k, and dealer refused to acknowledge this as a problem....traded for a mustang. Two Jeeps later (YJ, and LJ), I realized I needed the space and capability of the JKU.

I searched and almost bought a nice loaded 2013 with the new V6 and 5 spd auto for $30 out the door, but really wanted something sorta one of a kind. And to be honest, after test driving every possible combination of Jeep powertrains, I was not really impressed with the new 300 HP v6.

So I found a 2011, as it has the new interior, fully loaded 70 th Anniversary edition, and paid $23 for it. This left me with about a 10k budget (story I told the wife, aka Boss!), for a swap kit.

Hemi was my first choice, but I didn't have the newer 5 spd auto, so I would also need the trans. Average cost, $3,200 motor and trans, swap kit $4-5.
Then I really liked my wife's Tahoe and the performance the 5.3 offered. So even before I bought my JKU, I called some LS swap companies, you know, the basic three.
To be honest, John at RPM extreme offered the best deal. But, by now our Tahoe had 167k miles, and IT was using Oil!
So after chatting with Robbie at Motech, my plan was to do a 6.0L swap. This was spring 2016, and I used car-parts to sourch my motor and 6l80 trans.
It was a no brainer, the power of the 6.0 was great, and the 6 spd auto a gear monster.
Engine and tranny, $3,500, swap kit, about 5,600. So for right about $10k I could do it!

Well, daughter decided to get married, and all had to be put off!

So I continued to lurk around JK forum, and noticed Motech posting about a new engine, the Gen V.

I watched the threads, and at the same time, realized all the low mileage 6.0 and even 5.3's disappeared! Robbie said to buy a 2010 or newer with under 50k miles, and in North Carolina, none were to be found! SOB!

So I found a 2014 L83 5.3 Liter, direct injection motor with trans, complete at a local salvage yard. I called Motech, they said yes, we can make it work, and the next day I picked up the motor and trans!
Rubi-8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 07-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Rock God

Nice! Cannot wait to see it. I sooooooooooooo wished I had waited just a hair longer for the Gen V kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #3 of 47 Old 07-10-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Excuse the small image, dealing with attachment errors!

Here is the engine!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 07-10-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Over at my buddies shop, pulling body as described in Motech online instructions.
Using a large single point chain hoist attached with four straps to roll bar. This was hair raising!
Attached Images

post #5 of 47 Old 07-10-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Body off, and frame ready for power washing and engine removal.
Attached Images

post #6 of 47 Old 07-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Wheeler

In for the info of your experience and the pictures!
post #7 of 47 Old 07-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Granite Guru

Subscribed, what trans did you pick up? The 6l80 or. new 8l90?
post #8 of 47 Old 07-11-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

My 2014 donor Silverado LTZ was a 4 wd, and had the 6 spd 6l80. To be honest, it is perfect, and I really like the way it shifts. My wife has been very supportive through the swap, and drove it today. Her concern was how all this would ever work again. She was amazed how well it behaved and felt like her Tahoe, but really appreciated the sound the Jeep makes now (just right exhaust growl, not too loud, not too quiet, Robbie's new builders exhaust kit was worth the money).

I'm working on loading more pics. But let me tell you all, this thing is a beast, I'm smoking 34's through the first three gears!
post #9 of 47 Old 07-13-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

After removing the old drive train, I ground or scored the welds on the factory mounts and wacked them out. Used a grinder to smooth out the area, and had my buddy burn in the new gen V mounts. Robbie told me to put them 1 9/16" behind the large hole in the frame. I wanted to push mine further up, and ended up closer to 1 3/8". Not good, I paid for that later!

Frame mounts were coated in epoxy primer and then painted black.
Attached Images

post #10 of 47 Old 07-13-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

This is where the engine ended up sitting. The harmonic balancer is about flush with the rear of the front crossmember tube, and the supplied trans mount plate had to be re drilled at about 1.5" forward of the Motech holes. I also added two thick washers on top of the supplied spacers to raise the trans up a bit, per the request of my mechanic, who was concerned about the steep angle of the engine, trans and transfer case.

And yes, we did have the engine and trans mounted to the engine mounts BEFORE we tacked the new mounts in place (last post). We also used a long square tool (ruler) to make,sure the transmission pointed cleanly down the center of the driveshaft hoops as outlined in the Motech instructions.
Attached Images

post #11 of 47 Old 08-10-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Motech supplied a plug and play harness and also fuel lines. There return line is vapor only so you can use rubber hose, but I ended up modding the existing plastic fuel lines.
Attached Images

post #12 of 47 Old 08-10-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

For my swap I also had to buy a pentastar (12 or newer) power steering pump to fit, as my Jeep is a 2011. The old Jeep ps lines required a bit of bending to clear the body.
Also if you look at the above pic, I had to drill and tap out for a Jeep coolant sensor in the center of the water pump housing. Sounds bad, but it was easy, and I kept the shavings at bay with a vacuum.
post #13 of 47 Old 08-10-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

There was still a long list of things to do before the body went down, evap lines, accessory drive and belts, and cleaning up all the wiring. Body went down nice and slow, and with the old radiator removed, we could see where it needed to be pushed or moved. We had it easy, as the body was suspended on a hoist, and was very easy to move around. The body surprisingly went perfectly into place!
Attached Images

post #14 of 47 Old 08-10-2017, 07:17 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjp83 View Post
For my swap I also had to buy a pentastar (12 or newer) power steering pump to fit, as my Jeep is a 2011. The old Jeep ps lines required a bit of bending to clear the body.
Also if you look at the above pic, I had to drill and tap out for a Jeep coolant sensor in the center of the water pump housing. Sounds bad, but it was easy, and I kept the shavings at bay with a vacuum.
So your saying the pre 2012 P/S pump will not work with the new Motech bracket? I did not retain the 2009 pump for my build so I'll be purchasing another. I too am in Motech beta mode but waiting since May on wiring, computers, and whatever else they send. I haven't seen instructions for the Gen V so I assume your going off the Gen IV?
post #15 of 47 Old 08-11-2017, 11:06 AM

DAYUMMMM

I've done a few LS swaps in other vehicles but never a jeep. All these product options and support are far better than what i had available. I guess Mrs creekrat may end up with one of these in her jeep. Nice work!
post #16 of 47 Old 08-11-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

WNbirdman,

Correct, the new or only brackets are for the smaller pentastar power steering pump only. I ordered one from a local yard off a 2013, with 30 k miles. Was $60 shipped.
Your stock JK hoses will work with some modding.

Last edited by Mjp83; 08-23-2017 at 03:53 PM.
post #17 of 47 Old 08-11-2017, 02:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice job and great write up.

Those just look like physically bigger engines.

Kevin
post #18 of 47 Old 08-21-2017, 01:06 AM
Wheeler

Awesome write-up! Thanks for posting it.

2013 JKUR
Magnuson Supercharger (66mm Pulley) with Catch Can
Innovate Wide Band O2 Sensor
Diablotoona Custom Tune
Volant Cold Air Intake
6-Speed MT with B&M Precision Sport Shifter
4.10 Rear Diff
Line-X of Interior and Rock Hard 4x4 Sport Cage
JW Speaker Headlights, Fog Lights, and Tail Lights
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO LT265 70 17 (actual height: 30.75")
post #19 of 47 Old 09-25-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Hi Everyone!

Robbie got me the new AC adapters and lines, and Jeep is cooling finally! The AC is much colder than with the 3.8!

Been driving to the beach, Uwharrie (local off-road park), and it is absolutely amazing.

I did install a DV8 hood which really keeps everything cool, and decided to also add a cheap eBay ARB knock off snorkel (which fit pretty well). This allows me to bring in cool air while moving, it dropped down from 140 to about 10 degrees above ambient air!
Attached Images

post #20 of 47 Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Here is the snorkel and hood. Driving slow on the beach engine got no warmer than 210! It never bogged down like the 3.8 did, and even went into 4 cyl mode while in 4 low cruising in the sand. Check out my old LJ, sold it to my best friend, who is keeping it in the family for me! That is one good ridding Jeep.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mjp83; 09-25-2017 at 06:53 PM.
post #21 of 47 Old 09-25-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Today I had a,chance,to do some testing on how it towed. Dragged home my next project, 1980 Laredo with all matching drivetrain and accessories! Unfortunately the paint is not the original, supposed to be Saxon Yellow. Not sure if I am going that route, kinda like the Bordeaux Metallic....

Towed very well, tranny did some hunting, and it stayed below 215 the entire time. Very happy.

Oh, and I did add a flowmaster super 44 muffler to wake up the "noise" a bit. Sounds much nicer now!
Attached Images

post #22 of 47 Old 10-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Wheeler

Awesome write up!

I'm in the middle of the same swap right now - about 80% done.

Couple of questions...

Did you use the Motech exhaust kit?

What did you use for catalytic converters? My engine didn't come with them, so I'm searching for a reasonably priced option.

How do you like that Flowmaster Super 44? I'd love to have a healthy sound, but not if it means I have to hear the droning all the time.

Thanks!
post #23 of 47 Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedain313 View Post
Awesome write up!

I'm in the middle of the same swap right now - about 80% done.

Couple of questions...

Did you use the Motech exhaust kit?

What did you use for catalytic converters? My engine didn't come with them, so I'm searching for a reasonably priced option.

How do you like that Flowmaster Super 44? I'd love to have a healthy sound, but not if it means I have to hear the droning all the time.

Thanks!
I would use the MoTech exhaust!

I used these cats (non-california) and I pass emissions with flying colors. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Currently running a Magnaflow single 3" dual chamber (wish I had single) muffler with no drone and everyone else thinks it sounds awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #24 of 47 Old 10-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
I would use the MoTech exhaust!

I used these cats (non-california) and I pass emissions with flying colors. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Currently running a Magnaflow single 3" dual chamber (wish I had single) muffler with no drone and everyone else thinks it sounds awesome.
That's great info! My exhaust shop wants $480 per cat!

So you're running one like this? https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=13219
post #25 of 47 Old 10-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Rock God

I would have to go and measure to see what my exhaust shop put on. It is a round 3" in/out. I will have it re-done eventually to have a dual 2.5" in and single 3" out; like the MoTech kit.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode