08' 2dr LS swap build thread. - Page 9 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 296 Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 AM
Rock God

Good numbers! You are going to love driving it! I took mine out this weekend and the torque over the rocks was amazing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 296 Old 08-21-2017, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
Good numbers! You are going to love driving it! I took mine out this weekend and the torque over the rocks was amazing!
Wouldn't you know it, when I was loading it back on the trailer for the drive home I happen to catch a glimpse of something dripping and looked to see that the front pinion seal was puking fluid. For as little driving that it has on it there was quite a bit of fluid. So that's already pulled out and waiting on a new seal.

He mentioned to me that the ECU that I am running (E38) can support flex fuel (E85) and that it is around a 30-40hp gain alone. All I have to do is put the sensor inline on the fuel line, add the pin to the harness, and drive it back over there for him to do something else to the tune. Since I cant leave anything alone that will be the next project.
Rubi-8 likes this.
post #203 of 296 Old 08-21-2017, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Awesome to hear. That's good power to the wheels.

I fully understand what you mean about taking a step back when it's running WFO. It's just your brain working correctly.

Did your tuner mention anything about the converter?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 296 Old 08-21-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Awesome to hear. That's good power to the wheels.

I fully understand what you mean about taking a step back when it's running WFO. It's just your brain working correctly.

Did your tuner mention anything about the converter?
Its working! He had a little bit of trouble controlling the lockup from HP tuners and he was having a hard time controlling the gear selection. This was more software related and not hardware issues. We wound up just using the tap shift through the cruise lever to control the gear selection. He seemed to think that something in the existing tune/setup (I honestly don't know) was interfering with his ability to control both from HP tuners as he rarely has issues with either of those. He wasn't sure and didn't spend any time looking around to see if he could get around it as it really didn't matter as long as it was controllable through the tap shift. The lockup on the street is working fine as we drove around for a bit with me holding the laptop. We stopped a few times, he checked some things, and made some minor adjustments. He noted that the IAT's were in the 140's and it was causing the tune to pull a bit of timing. I noticed that they were high just idling in the garage. Ive got to figure out a way to shield the filter of from the engine bay and force it to draw from the vented fender liner area. Either way it sounds bad ass when the skinny pedal is mashed. I haven't had time to sit down and order a replacement rear shaft yet. I was almost sure that either the rear stock 44 or that shaft was gonna give it up but they both held.

You should get the flex fuel sensor and install it inline now while you are doing the fuel system. Its cheap and he said I could expect between a 30-40 wheel HP gain from running E85 and his tune. Good news is that it detects the percentage and once its tuned for it you can freely switch between 93 and E85 or any mixture in between and it will adjust the tuning based on the E85 content in the fuel.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 08-21-2017 at 03:25 PM.
post #205 of 296 Old 08-21-2017, 03:40 PM
Rock God

Edit: Never mind my IAT is still way too high

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #206 of 296 Old 08-22-2017, 07:02 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post

Sounds like it's suppose to now!!

post #207 of 296 Old 08-22-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Edit: Never mind my IAT is still way too high
I've been thinking all day and poking around to see what I'm gonna do about that. Worse case I sheet metal a box and insulate it somehow.
post #208 of 296 Old 08-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Rock God

I've been thinking about that too. My overflow is on that side and I'm sure not helping either. On my drive in this morning I keep thinking about the composite air tube. Do you think aluminum would be better to resist the heat from the radiator hoses?

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #209 of 296 Old 08-22-2017, 02:15 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
I've been thinking about that too. My overflow is on that side and I'm sure not helping either. On my drive in this morning I keep thinking about the composite air tube. Do you think aluminum would be better to resist the heat from the radiator hoses?

Negative on the aluminum having lower thermal conductivity. You need to combat heat with the corresponding material/technique i.e. Heat shields for radiant heat and insulating fibers for conduction.

2012 JKUR w/ couple modifications
2002 BMW E46 M3
post #210 of 296 Old 08-29-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Ohhhh weeeee........... finally got the pinion seal sorted out. Got sent one that was crushed when I took it out of the package.... Got sent another and just got it installed and went around the block. I cant keep my foot off of the skinny pedal. I dunno if it just flat out runs or if I am just used to the jeep being such a turd box that anything feels quick. For toting around 700lbs of wheel and tire it can damn sure get out of its own way.
post #211 of 296 Old 08-30-2017, 06:37 AM
Rock God

Awesome! I can't keep my foot out of it either and can only imagine the power you have.

I opened a saving account just for tires; this is going to get expensive...but worth it!
Dkjeep likes this.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #212 of 296 Old 08-30-2017, 12:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Ohhhh weeeee........... finally got the pinion seal sorted out. Got sent one that was crushed when I took it out of the package.... Got sent another and just got it installed and went around the block. I cant keep my foot off of the skinny pedal. I dunno if it just flat out runs or if I am just used to the jeep being such a turd box that anything feels quick. For toting around 700lbs of wheel and tire it can damn sure get out of its own way.
That's great to hear. Now enjoy that sumbitch!

Kevin
post #213 of 296 Old 08-31-2017, 06:51 AM
Rock God

Cool to see you finally getting to enjoy this! I think mine died so yours could live though, yesterday I had a lady run a stop sign and pull out in front of me as I was leaving work. Demolished the front of her car and pushed my axle back about 6" up front on passenger side. Energy transfer must have shifted the front dog house cause the driver side has buckles along the tub and driver door overlaps the B pillar when shutting now.

I'm going to the impound lot today to have her transported home, but based on the damage it's likely totaled

I think my engine/tranny are ok, so it can likely live in another Jeep, but fuck this sucks. Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #214 of 296 Old 08-31-2017, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
Cool to see you finally getting to enjoy this! I think mine died so yours could live though, yesterday I had a lady run a stop sign and pull out in front of me as I was leaving work. Demolished the front of her car and pushed my axle back about 6" up front on passenger side. Energy transfer must have shifted the front dog house cause the driver side has buckles along the tub and driver door overlaps the B pillar when shutting now.

I'm going to the impound lot today to have her transported home, but based on the damage it's likely totaled

I think my engine/tranny are ok, so it can likely live in another Jeep, but fuck this sucks. Sorry, don't mean to derail your thread.
Man, I cant even comprehend that. Make sure you are merciless to her insurance. DO NOT take the first offer. Insurance people are so far below scum with how they try to fuck you. You will likely need legal representation to get anything fair even if its not totaled. Just the threat of it will get them to come up some and just that alone lets you know they are trying to make you eat lots of $$$.

Side note, I had a dude run a stop sign back in 10' and t-bone me on the drivers side front end. Most of the impact was taken on the drivers front tire / wheel. It crushed the stock control arms, bent the axle, and bent the front bumper. After it was all fixed I didn't think much of it. Fast forward to being quite a bit more knowledgeable about the jeep and installing a new axle, control arms, etc... I was squaring the new axle up to the frame and noticed that it requires several more turns out on the drivers side control arms to get it squared up. The only thing I can think of is that the control arm mounts were pushed back or distorted but they show ZERO sign of being replaced, damaged, warped, etc...
post #215 of 296 Old 08-31-2017, 07:33 AM
Rock God

I've dealt with other insurance from two other hits in my Jeep (seeing a trend here, I'm fucking targeted). One a sideswipe and one a rear end pulling into my driveway. So, I know the hassle I now have to go through again

Dash cam was running so there is absolutely no way for her insurance to duck around this one.
Dkjeep likes this.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #216 of 296 Old 08-31-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Last edited by Dkjeep; 08-31-2017 at 02:39 PM.
post #217 of 296 Old 08-31-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

So im wondering what % the electric fan is set to run at certain engine coolant temps. I went for my first around town drive and the ambient temps here are 90ish. There was some stop and go but the most of it was 45-50mph driving with no A/C on. I saw the temps get as high 218. Odd thing is I don't really hear the fan doing anything. Its on but barely. When the A/C is on the fan speed is up and down up and down and all over the place trying to control the high side pressure on the system. Without the A/C on like I said I don't think the fan ever gets much over its idle speed.

Anyone know whats up with that?
post #218 of 296 Old 08-31-2017, 11:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
So im wondering what % the electric fan is set to run at certain engine coolant temps. I went for my first around town drive and the ambient temps here are 90ish. There was some stop and go but the most of it was 45-50mph driving with no A/C on. I saw the temps get as high 218. Odd thing is I don't really hear the fan doing anything. Its on but barely. When the A/C is on the fan speed is up and down up and down and all over the place trying to control the high side pressure on the system. Without the A/C on like I said I don't think the fan ever gets much over its idle speed.

Anyone know whats up with that?
Isn't that something you can see and adjust through HPtuners?

Kevin
post #219 of 296 Old 09-01-2017, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Isn't that something you can see and adjust through HPtuners?
No clue. I will be calling Jon today to inquire.
post #220 of 296 Old 09-01-2017, 10:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
No clue. I will be calling Jon today to inquire.
What did Jon say?

Kevin
post #221 of 296 Old 09-02-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
What did Jon say?

The fan speed settings are for sure adjustable in the ezcanbus box so next week I will be removing it and the TIPM again and sending both back to him. He needs both to address the traction control and ESP/BAS lights. I know that I have plenty of radiator and that the cooling system is up to the task because when me and the tuner went for the test drive after tuning it was 100 degrees out side and we were doing nothing but hot lapping it up and down the service roads. While doing that the a/c was on so the fan was always running at a higher percentage. The temps never hit but a degree or two over 200 tops and were more in the 190's when sitting. I believe the t-stat is 195 just from observation. When Jon receives my parts he will plug in and see where the fan speeds are now and we will have another phone call about where I want them to be. In general I just want whatever the speed to temp settings that are in there now to be scaled down to lower temps. But I want to pick those temps. Ultimately I want to be able to plug in and control all of that stuff myself. Jon spoke of some really cool tech that they are working on that may allow that in the future. Ill let him spill details on that though.

Side note, yesterday a friend came over and I helped him replace a part on his jeep. During shop talk I mentioned what I had going on with those 2 lights and I mentioned that I wasn't sure if my steering wheel was a turn out or not. As luck would have it he had just got an AEV procal and it was in his jeep. This programmer doesn't seem to vin lock which is awesome! It does everything it does through setting dip switches on the controller itself and then plugging into the OBD port. One of the features is that it can tell you if your wheel is centered or not. It reads the clock spring info in real time and will light up the left or right turn signal indicator on the dash depending on which way you need to adjust the wheel. When it is centered it will light up both turn signal lights and the high beam indicator. It took me about 30 seconds to see that I did indeed have the wheel a full turn out to the right. I put the wheels back straight, unbolted the steering shaft from the steering box, and rotated the wheel a full turn left. I hooked the shaft back up to the steering box and went back to read the dash and it was good to go. Went for a drive to see if it would self clear and it did not. At least I know that the wheel is in proper orientation at this point but its going to take some more magic to get the lights off.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 09-02-2017 at 08:09 AM.
post #222 of 296 Old 09-02-2017, 10:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had no idea the procal did that and I have one. Damn.

Kevin
post #223 of 296 Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Got the parts back and installed. Engine is running sub 205 degrees now and all idiot lights are off. It seems as if for now that the swap is complete. I have no other adjustments or issues related to the swap that need to be addressed for the time being. I am now back to just driving it and feeling out all of the new components and monitoring everything after every outing.
post #224 of 296 Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That awesome to hear.

Kevin
post #225 of 296 Old 09-14-2017, 07:27 AM
Rock God

Quote:
The fan speed settings are for sure adjustable in the ezcanbus box so next week I will be removing it and the TIPM again and sending both back to him. He needs both to address the traction control and ESP/BAS lights. I know that I have plenty of radiator and that the cooling system is up to the task because when me and the tuner went for the test drive after tuning it was 100 degrees out side and we were doing nothing but hot lapping it up and down the service roads. While doing that the a/c was on so the fan was always running at a higher percentage. The temps never hit but a degree or two over 200 tops and were more in the 190's when sitting. I believe the t-stat is 195 just from observation. When Jon receives my parts he will plug in and see where the fan speeds are now and we will have another phone call about where I want them to be. In general I just want whatever the speed to temp settings that are in there now to be scaled down to lower temps. But I want to pick those temps. Ultimately I want to be able to plug in and control all of that stuff myself. Jon spoke of some really cool tech that they are working on that may allow that in the future. Ill let him spill details on that though.
Damn it. I just ran into the same issue. Didn't know it since I usually have the A/C on but last weekend I took the top and doors off then realized my fan was not changing with the engine temp climbing. It is only rock crawling I have an issue. With the 52mm radiator I don't even need a fan driving around town or freeway.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode