08' 2dr LS swap build thread. - Page 8 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #176 of 296 Old 08-08-2017, 10:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Jeep looks fantastic.

If you give it a little gas, does it try to overpower the brakes?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #177 of 296 Old 08-08-2017, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Jeep looks fantastic.

If you give it a little gas, does it try to overpower the brakes?

Those brakes not even broken in yet aren't letting it go anywhere. I tried to see how far I could stall it up in the garage (genius idea) and it got sketchy. While it didn't go anywhere it loaded up so much and moved around to the point I let off before something bad happened. I've never been in a vehicle that moved that much without actually moving.
post #178 of 296 Old 08-08-2017, 12:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
Those brakes not even broken in yet aren't letting it go anywhere. I tried to see how far I could stall it up in the garage (genius idea) and it got sketchy. While it didn't go anywhere it loaded up so much and moved around to the point I let off before something bad happened. I've never been in a vehicle that moved that much without actually moving.
Ya, it's just loading the suspension. With the brakes not letting the tires move, the housing wants to rotate. With the brakes connected to the housings, I think it gets to move only as mush as bushing deflection allows it to.

What? You didn't want to go for a dragstrip start inside the garage? C'mon, I think you can get back on the brakes in time. Post a vid.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #179 of 296 Old 08-09-2017, 06:24 AM
Rock God

I to get that load up when going into gear. It was worse with the 5.38s but like 4wheels said, we get use to it.

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanVintage4x4/ Here is a short video just leaving my buddies shop. I didn't even realize how much she wants to stand up at take off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #180 of 296 Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
I to get that load up when going into gear. It was worse with the 5.38s but like 4wheels said, we get use to it.

https://www.facebook.com/AmericanVintage4x4/ Here is a short video just leaving my buddies shop. I didn't even realize how much she wants to stand up at take off.
After going back and watching a bunch of videos outside of Robbies shop where they are beating on them I see that it does appear to be very common and they do want to raise up quite a bit. It just feels weird when your sitting in it.
post #181 of 296 Old 08-09-2017, 07:45 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
After going back and watching a bunch of videos outside of Robbies shop where they are beating on them I see that it does appear to be very common and they do want to raise up quite a bit. It just feels weird when your sitting in it.
Ha, it feels weird in my pants every time it does it!! You do get use to it over time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #182 of 296 Old 08-09-2017, 04:16 PM

Great thread! Its only giving me ideas...
post #183 of 296 Old 08-10-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Made it out of the garage.

Pharmguy75, jvandy50 and Wannarun like this.
post #184 of 296 Old 08-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Rock God

Badass!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #185 of 296 Old 08-10-2017, 11:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Now the fun starts. You have what, brakes to bed in, engine to break in, gears to break in and they all want you to do something different at the same time.
Wannarun and Rubi-8 like this.

Kevin
post #186 of 296 Old 08-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Rock God

That is awesome!!

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
post #187 of 296 Old 08-14-2017, 12:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So how does it drive?

Kevin
post #188 of 296 Old 08-15-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
So how does it drive?
The last couple of days I have gone around the block a couple of times just feeling it out and checking for leaks. It does not have a current registration or plate on it yet so no real driving. The looser converter is gonna take some getting used to. It idles and runs fine but it has died a couple of times coming back to idle and has a slight hesitation / sputter/ pop if you give any pedal quickly. It starts back up immediately but not a problem I want to have in town.

I've got 2 lights on the dash, ESP and traction control lights are lit. Prior experience with those lights coming on after working on the jeep tells me that my steering wheel isn't centered.....but it is. So I'm kinda at a loss. I had the steering wheel disconnected for a lengthy period of time so maybe it's possible that the wheel is a full turn out? The thing is the turn signal cancels correctly like it's centered properly.

Any way to diagnose That?

Other than that I'm getting an appt at a tuner for a weekend soon and will trailer it there.
post #189 of 296 Old 08-15-2017, 08:15 AM
Rock God

Having a custom tune by a person who knows what they are doing and right in front of you is the best money spent! Excited for you to see what kind of power you are putting to the ground. Any check engine light for not running 4 O2's and cats?

Steering: From what you think is center, count how many rotations to full lock left, then right. If I remember correctly it is 7 turns from lock to lock. If the steering box was disconnected and the steering wheel moved , it is possible to break the clock spring.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #190 of 296 Old 08-15-2017, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-8 View Post
Having a custom tune by a person who knows what they are doing and right in front of you is the best money spent! Excited for you to see what kind of power you are putting to the ground. Any check engine light for not running 4 O2's and cats?

Steering: From what you think is center, count how many rotations to full lock left, then right. If I remember correctly it is 7 turns from lock to lock. If the steering box was disconnected and the steering wheel moved , it is possible to break the clock spring.
It will turn lock to lock no problem. I don't know the count but it will do it and currently the clock spring isn't broken. I need a way to tell if I have the steering wheel a full turn out or not.
post #191 of 296 Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Rock God

Quote:
I need a way to tell if I have the steering wheel a full turn out or not.
That's why you need to count how many turns from lock to lock; then back half way and see where your tires/steering wheel are at.

07 JK-8
08 2dr Sahara
17 Gobi Recon
post #192 of 296 Old 08-15-2017, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Could the lights be from wheel speed sensors?

I have my clock spring sitting on the bench. I'll take a look at it when I get back out there and see if I can count the turns it has.

Kevin
post #193 of 296 Old 08-15-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Could the lights be from wheel speed sensors?

I have my clock spring sitting on the bench. I'll take a look at it when I get back out there and see if I can count the turns it has.
So I replaced one wheel bearing which comes with a new speed sensor and had them all unplugged at various points with the key on. The ABS light was lit until I went for my first drive and once it got a good reading from everything again it self cleared the ABS light. So I suspect that they are all fine.
post #194 of 296 Old 08-15-2017, 02:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

On my 2010 clock spring, I get 5.25 turns from snug to snug. The only thing that locks it to the steering wheel position is a little plastic tit that sticks up and into the wheel itself.

I'd think if the ESP thought you had the wheel cranked a full turn going straight down the road at speed, it would be going berserk and applying the brakes to save your life for you.

We've all heard the stories of people taking an off ramp and the Jeep tries to send them off the road. And that's always with the steering wheel only off by a bit.

Kevin
post #195 of 296 Old 08-15-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
On my 2010 clock spring, I get 5.25 turns from snug to snug. The only thing that locks it to the steering wheel position is a little plastic tit that sticks up and into the wheel itself.

I'd think if the ESP thought you had the wheel cranked a full turn going straight down the road at speed, it would be going berserk and applying the brakes to save your life for you.

We've all heard the stories of people taking an off ramp and the Jeep tries to send them off the road. And that's always with the steering wheel only off by a bit.
When I had this happen before it just disables the traction control and ESP / BAS. This is why the lights are perma on. In that instance the wheel was visibly off center though. Adjusting it straight fixed it up.

I turned full right and left and back to center and the wheel is straight and so are the tires. I would think that if I had the wheel an entire revolution off that it would destroy the clockspring. It is working properly though......
post #196 of 296 Old 08-15-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just went around the block again, It just has a slight issue when giving pedal quick as I stated before but after you get past that it seems to be ok. When coming back down to idle from getting up to any kind of speed ( like 30mph) it wants to surge and act like its going to die for a few seconds before it catches its breath it seems. When it does that the vacuum also surges and I can feel it in the brakes. I gave just a bit of throttle to it on one of the back streets in the neighborhood that's not developed yet and............... it felt GOOD! lol. The converter flashed to 3k and stayed steady as it was just a pullin away. I did NOT get on it by any stretch, I'm talkin like maybe 1/3 pedal. Either way I smiled and neighbors across the way that were in their garages all stepped out to see who the hoodlum was. It sounds gnarly with that exhaust. Wouldn't change that for anything right now. I had though about switching them up to some spintech chambered mufflers but not now.
post #197 of 296 Old 08-16-2017, 03:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Just went around the block again, It just has a slight issue when giving pedal quick as I stated before but after you get past that it seems to be ok. When coming back down to idle from getting up to any kind of speed ( like 30mph) it wants to surge and act like its going to die for a few seconds before it catches its breath it seems. When it does that the vacuum also surges and I can feel it in the brakes. I gave just a bit of throttle to it on one of the back streets in the neighborhood that's not developed yet and............... it felt GOOD! lol. The converter flashed to 3k and stayed steady as it was just a pullin away. I did NOT get on it by any stretch, I'm talkin like maybe 1/3 pedal. Either way I smiled and neighbors across the way that were in their garages all stepped out to see who the hoodlum was. It sounds gnarly with that exhaust. Wouldn't change that for anything right now. I had though about switching them up to some spintech chambered mufflers but not now.
Sweet!

With some quality time on the dyno, you should be good to go.

Was anything ever changed in the trans tune for the converter?

Kevin
post #198 of 296 Old 08-16-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Sweet!

With some quality time on the dyno, you should be good to go.

Was anything ever changed in the trans tune for the converter?
Had to be from what Jon said. Not 100% sure but I think he consulted someone on some of the changes to make so it wouldn't fry the convertor. Either way im not going to do any real driving until I get it tuned. There is a shop around here that has a guy who regularly tunes LS based vehicles making some crazy power. He will dyno tune the engine and trans. Talking to him on the phone today I immediately had the same feeling that I did when I spoke with HOWE about the hydro steering. Within about 30 seconds you know you are talking to someone who knows wtf they are doing and you feel as if you are in the right hands for the job. I've go an appt. for 10am this Sat. Another $500 cash thrown at it.
Rubi-8 likes this.
post #199 of 296 Old 08-20-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

So, I went to the dyno on Saturday and got some tuning done. This motor has exactly 2 miles neighborhood driving on it and maybe about 30 minutes total of running time on it in the garage. I had mentioned this to the tuner and expressed concern about beating on a new engine. After some discussion I just relied on his experience and the tons of new engines that he tunes. The tuner owns a local shop here in TX that mainly builds and tunes high end late model GM vehicles like vettes, camaros, etc... There were 3 near new vettes in there that were all procharged laying down over 1300+ HP on stock trans and bottom end motors. I also stated that the new 40" treps had exactly zero balancing on them and he said that he has tuned some rock bouncers that were the same way and it wasn't an issue. He warmed it up on the dyno and once the flat spots came out of the tires (bias ply tires) they were actually running really smooth from the outside looking in. While it was warming up he noted to me that he thought that whoever did the original tune (Jon) did a good job as far as integrating all of the peripherals and he hadn't seen the tap shift setup like it was before and he liked that. The actual tune though while I thought it wasn't far off wasn't really close either. No fault of Jon's as it ran good enough to get going, you really need to have any custom setup like this professionally tuned unless you drop in a stock motor with all stock setup including identical to stock intake and exhaust. After a couple of hours of messing with it he got me 360rwhp and a few less Tq. I am satisfied with that considering the weight of the wheel/tire combined with typical drivetrane loss. He had mentioned that some of the rock bouncers that come in with supposed 600+ hp LS engines have layed down sub 300 hp on the dyno due to all of the massive components that soak up power before it hits the rollers. He made the pulls in 3rd gear and at 6k rpm it was 86mph, lol. Its sketchy standing near something like that. My sense of preservation starts to kick in and I ducked behind one of the nearby lifts when he made the pulls.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 08-20-2017 at 06:00 PM.
post #200 of 296 Old 08-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Rock God

Glad you are making good headway on the tune and all. Ready to start putting some miles on it? I really want to do a dyno tune but dont see it in the near future, so I just keep working and trying to learn this hptuners and doing the street tuning.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode