08' 2dr LS swap build thread. - Page 4 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 296 Old 01-11-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Moving on, I couldn't get the Sanden 508 compressor no matter what I did or how I twisted the engine and mounts to clear enough even with the idea of shaving the bolt heads down on the back of the compressor. I tried 2 different 508 compressors, a 4514 and a 6669. Both were identical to each other besides the rear covers with the 4514 being a little shorter.

I picked up a Sanden 7176 and a dirty dingo mount and it fits with PLENTY of room now. Yes it is a mini compressor, and no I'm not worried about it not cooling enough. This thing spends most of the nice part of the year with no top or doors. I just need a/c for the rare time that I will use it or need the defrost to work.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 01-11-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 296 Old 01-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Rock God

Boy, that compressor did give you some room. I am trying to decide by spring what to do in regards to compressors. I think mine is leaking, used one from the junk yard. The one that came with the motor also locked up. Not having much luck and need to stop with the used ones.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
post #78 of 296 Old 01-11-2017, 05:18 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheels4life View Post
Boy, that compressor did give you some room. I am trying to decide by spring what to do in regards to compressors. I think mine is leaking, used one from the junk yard. The one that came with the motor also locked up. Not having much luck and need to stop with the used ones.
While they work well there are compromises with the GM drive. The passenger low AC compressor mount has never been optimal IMO. You need to run the AC lines to the driver rear of the engine compartment, compressor to UCA bracket is close without a lift, compressor to frame clearance can be an issue..... We do run the GM drive and it works well, we fabricate PS and AC lines, rework the wiring, run a compact compressor, watch the PS pulley to PS gear clearance..... In the end the GM drive works fine but is more upfront work.

For 8 years we ran the JK accessory drive layout and it has a lot of advantages - better clearance, the use of stock PS lines, AC hoses, electrical connectors, use of off the shelf hydraulics systems..... The steel brackets worked great but could be a PITA to set up properly especially when we ran the crankshaft position sensor on the balancer. I have many JK's with over 100k miles on the steel brackets.

Our new billet brackets solve a lot of issues, better clearance, no adjustment just bolt on and they look cool. They will be offered in polished aluminum and anodized black with silver engraving. The Gen IV truck brackets are being installed now and the Gen IV LS3 brackets will be available shortly, the LS3 runs the same driver side AC bracket as the truck.

I don't know what accessory drive you are running but there are several good options for the passenger side low mount that are reliable.

MoTech
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of 296 Old 01-11-2017, 05:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
Moving on, I couldn't get the Sanden 508 compressor no matter what I did or how I twisted the engine and mounts to clear enough even with the idea of shaving the bolt heads down on the back of the compressor. I tried 2 different 508 compressors, a 4514 and a 6669. Both were identical to each other besides the rear covers with the 4514 being a little shorter.

I picked up a Sanden 7176 and a dirty dingo mount and it fits with PLENTY of room now. Yes it is a mini compressor, and no I'm not worried about it not cooling enough. This thing spends most of the nice part of the year with no top or doors. I just need a/c for the rare time that I will use it or need the defrost to work.
Wow, that bought you some clearance alright. What direction are the hoses clocked too?

Kevin
post #80 of 296 Old 01-12-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Wow, that bought you some clearance alright. What direction are the hoses clocked too?
There is an adapter that I picked up that mounts to the compressor in the area circled. Once it comes out of there the hoses have 90's on them. I haven't tried to fit them yet but it does not look like it's going to be an issue.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 01-12-2017 at 10:29 AM.
post #81 of 296 Old 01-15-2017, 11:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
There is an adapter that I picked up that mounts to the compressor in the area circled. Once it comes out of there the hoses have 90's on them. I haven't tried to fit them yet but it does not look like it's going to be an issue.
I see now. Didn't realize that was a cover in the pics. Looks like the perfect location to have the hoses connect to.

Kevin
post #82 of 296 Old 01-19-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Exhaust parts have arrived. So much stainless goodness. Time to get moving again.

post #83 of 296 Old 01-19-2017, 06:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Exhaust parts have arrived. So much stainless goodness. Time to get moving again.
Sweet. What grade stainless?

Kevin
post #84 of 296 Old 01-19-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Sweet. What grade stainless?
It's all 304L
post #85 of 296 Old 01-20-2017, 08:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
It's all 304L
Are you welding it together? Make sure to backpurge the tube so the backside of the weld doesn't sugar.

Kevin
post #86 of 296 Old 01-21-2017, 06:46 AM
JKowners Vendor

Looking good. I can't wait to see this thing finished.

We need to gather up all these LS powered Jeeps somewhere and have an event.
Dkjeep and 4wheels4life like this.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #87 of 296 Old 01-21-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Are you welding it together? Make sure to backpurge the tube so the backside of the weld doesn't sugar.

No a good friend is going to help me do the welding. It's what he does for a living and has welded plenty of stainless for food grade applications. The idea is to cut, fit, and tack it all together. Then prop up the trans and drop the cross member so I can drop the entire system down and drag it out. Then cap the ends and have a constant purge inside the system while it is welded up.

That's the plan at least. I will be starting on it this next week. I will take plenty of photos. On a side note the place I ordered from has their shit together. This stuff seems to be top shelf stuff and the packaging speaks for itself.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 01-21-2017 at 09:26 AM.
post #88 of 296 Old 01-21-2017, 12:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
No a good friend is going to help me do the welding. It's what he does for a living and has welded plenty of stainless for food grade applications. The idea is to cut, fit, and tack it all together. Then prop up the trans and drop the cross member so I can drop the entire system down and drag it out. Then cap the ends and have a constant purge inside the system while it is welded up.

That's the plan at least. I will be starting on it this next week. I will take plenty of photos. On a side note the place I ordered from has their shit together. This stuff seems to be top shelf stuff and the packaging speaks for itself.
Sounds like the perfect plan.

Who did you order the material from?

Kevin
post #89 of 296 Old 01-21-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Sounds like the perfect plan.

Who did you order the material from?
verocious motorsports. I looked all over the net for bends and these guys overall were the most reasonable for what I wanted. I wanted 304 stainless and tight bend radius. With how I plan on doing it I need as tight of a bend as possible which is one reason I chose it. Try that with regular aluminized pipe and a regular bender and it will have crazy distortion and crinkles in it.
post #90 of 296 Old 01-21-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

One thing that I have been wondering about is, will I still need a hand held tuner to set tire size / gear ratio and other crap like tpms?

The other is what size trans cooler is recommended? I have been looking at the earls coolers but don't know what size to get?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
post #91 of 296 Old 01-21-2017, 09:26 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
One thing that I have been wondering about is, will I still need a hand held tuner to set tire size / gear ratio and other crap like tpms?

The other is what size trans cooler is recommended? I have been looking at the earls coolers but don't know what size to get?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Flex-A-Lite - TransLife; Transmission Oil Cooler Kit | 4WheelParts.com

This is what I went with and haven't seen temps over 140 yet.

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
post #92 of 296 Old 01-21-2017, 09:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
While they work well there are compromises with the GM drive. The passenger low AC compressor mount has never been optimal IMO. You need to run the AC lines to the driver rear of the engine compartment, compressor to UCA bracket is close without a lift, compressor to frame clearance can be an issue..... We do run the GM drive and it works well, we fabricate PS and AC lines, rework the wiring, run a compact compressor, watch the PS pulley to PS gear clearance..... In the end the GM drive works fine but is more upfront work.

For 8 years we ran the JK accessory drive layout and it has a lot of advantages - better clearance, the use of stock PS lines, AC hoses, electrical connectors, use of off the shelf hydraulics systems..... The steel brackets worked great but could be a PITA to set up properly especially when we ran the crankshaft position sensor on the balancer. I have many JK's with over 100k miles on the steel brackets.

Our new billet brackets solve a lot of issues, better clearance, no adjustment just bolt on and they look cool. They will be offered in polished aluminum and anodized black with silver engraving. The Gen IV truck brackets are being installed now and the Gen IV LS3 brackets will be available shortly, the LS3 runs the same driver side AC bracket as the truck.

I don't know what accessory drive you are running but there are several good options for the passenger side low mount that are reliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzPu...ature=youtu.be
Sorry for the jet noise. Ill have to come visit yall next time I am at red flag.

One question, are spectre cold air intakes no longer vatozone garbage?

Billet 2013 2 door
Dana 60 front, 14 Bolt rear, ARB's, 5.38's, 40" sticky Trepadors, 3 link front and rear, 14" Sway-a-Way coilovers, Tom Woods 1310 front, Adams 1350 rear, PSC Hydro assist
post #93 of 296 Old 02-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
I've never been particularly good at keeping up with one of these types of threads. I usually just do an entire project end to end and then post pics and answer questions. I will try to keep up with this one for any who are interested. Please bump the thread or ask for updates if I am lacking. I will take pics of anything interesting, tricky stuff to deal with, or anything you would just like to see. This is the best site I have found pertaining to info about the swap itself. We have the 2 premier vendors IMO for this swap here and active on a daily basis answering questions and sharing knowledge. This by itself is invaluable and had I not have had the chance to pour through miles of threads I wouldn't have felt comfortable taking this on.

With all that said, there aren't a ton of individual build threads here for guys like me who are just dangerous enough with a wrench and just optimistic enough to try and tackle this job in their own 2 car garage with the body on. My recorded attempt at this starts now.
I know you already started but it is so much easier to do everything with the body off. I pulled my body when I installed my LS3 and would never try to do it any other way. You have full access to everything that matters that way. And a plus is you don't have to worry about accidently banging the body either.
Good luck to you.
post #94 of 296 Old 02-04-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
I know you already started but it is so much easier to do everything with the body off. I pulled my body when I installed my LS3 and would never try to do it any other way. You have full access to everything that matters that way. And a plus is you don't have to worry about accidently banging the body either.
Good luck to you.
I really didn't have the facilities available to me to remove the body. I did learn a couple of tricks along the way but all in all I have not run into one issue where I thought "man I really wish I could have removed the body" in some instances I was glad it was on to work around fitment issues WITH the body.
Rick Rand likes this.
post #95 of 296 Old 02-09-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm not quite done with this yet but the majority of it is there. Just have to hang the mufflers from the x pipe, put on some turndowns, install hangers, and weld in the o2 bungs.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 02-09-2017 at 07:08 AM.
post #96 of 296 Old 02-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Granite Guru

Looks good so far! Are you not going to run a tailpipe out the back? That is gonna be loud if you just do a turndown off of the muffler or mufflers...

08 JKU 6.0 LC8 6L80 Atlas 2 39" KM3's on Trilogy race beadlocks, prorock 44,rcv's arb front. rock jock 60 rear 40spline shafts,arb 5.13's and a bunch of other stuff
post #97 of 296 Old 02-09-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89yjon View Post
Looks good so far! Are you not going to run a tailpipe out the back? That is gonna be loud if you just do a turndown off of the muffler or mufflers...
Nope, and yes it will be.
post #98 of 296 Old 02-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Wheeler

Been following your build from the start, it's starting to come together. Looking forward to hearing it when all is done. Nice work.
Did you sell your turbo kit?
Dkjeep likes this.
post #99 of 296 Old 02-09-2017, 03:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's coming together nicely. I take it it's going to be muffs where the old fuel tank was?

It's gonna sound sweet!

Kevin
post #100 of 296 Old 02-09-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
That's coming together nicely. I take it it's going to be muffs where the old fuel tank was?

It's gonna sound sweet!

The x pipe is already in that area so yes it will be everything from the merge (x pipe) on back in place of where the fuel tank was. As much as I was not for removing the fuel tank its pretty much mandatory on a 2dr to do it like this if you want to use 3" exhaust. That or you wind up with some real funky cross over with the exaust swinging to the drivers side and then it gets REAL tight with the transfer case already swinging to that side. This was the easiest way with the most clearance available and since my stock fuel pump was possibly going to be stretched out with this motor I needed an upgrade anyway.
tapcola likes this.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 02-09-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode