08' 2dr LS swap build thread. - Page 12 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #276 of 296 Old 02-10-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

***UPDATE to the update***

Got it all back together and fired it up, I don't have time to go drive it but I let it run in the garage until it warmed up and the noise is gone so far. The valve train is dead silent from the top side of the engine and I'm on a step ladder leaning directly over it and listening closely. Its hard to hear shit with the exhaust but I can definitely tell that it is near silent up there compared to how it was. Revving the engine slightly used to be the easiest way to produce the noise and I cant hear it at all anymore when I am doing this.

SO, in conclusion I am not sure if I just got some shit parts, I was too hard on it, or beating on it at the dyno when it was near brand new is what hurt it but it was definitely hurt. Lucky for me it seems *knocks on wood* to have been an easy fix as far as cost, labor, accessibility, and damage are concerned.

For you Kevin, would I suggest the upgrades on a brand new engine? In my opinion, it wasn't terribly expensive, $280 for pushrods, trunnion kit, and the special tool and while it wasn't really hard to do with the engine in the jeep it would be a HELL of a lot easier for you now while your jeep is apart. It also in my opinion addresses a shit design in the stock trunnion and beefs up the seemingly lacking pushrods. I really don't feel like I should have bent these already.

If you do decide to go ahead and do this, please report what kind of play is in the stock trunion / bearings on an unused rocker arm. I am really interested to see if mine were already worn or they are just that big of shit to start with.
rockystock likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #277 of 296 Old 02-10-2019, 08:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Will do. I'm going to go ahead and pick up the parts. If for nothing other than peace of mind. I'll have the engine back on the stand soon, so it will be an easy job.

Kevin
post #278 of 296 Old 02-25-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Ok, so apparently I didnt fix it. It seemed like it was gone for a short while though but I can't be certain. It's like it comes and goes at will it seems. Here are the constants about it.

Is never present from cold start and comes in when it starts to get warm.

It's near 100% gone when the engine is fully hot.

Its non existant at idle.

It does not get much louder than that even at higher rpm.

Engine still runs great, no signs of anything besides the noise.

Removed main belt to eliminate possibility of noise from accessories and nothing changed. I did not remove the a/c belt though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #279 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
Ok, so apparently I didnt fix it. It seemed like it was gone for a short while though but I can't be certain. It's like it comes and goes at will it seems. Here are the constants about it.

Is never present from cold start and comes in when it starts to get warm.

It's near 100% gone when the engine is fully hot.

Its non existant at idle.

It does not get much louder than that even at higher rpm.

Engine still runs great, no signs of anything besides the noise.

Removed main belt to eliminate possibility of noise from accessories and nothing changed. I did not remove the a/c belt though.

https://youtu.be/BVqyUFfd-ws
Are you talking about the high pitched squeaky sound that changes with the engine rpm? Sounds kind of like a cricket...?

I've heard funky sounds from air slipping by the throttle body at idle/low rpm. Any way to rule that out?
post #280 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
Are you talking about the high pitched squeaky sound that changes with the engine rpm? Sounds kind of like a cricket...?

I've heard funky sounds from air slipping by the throttle body at idle/low rpm. Any way to rule that out?
Yes, that's the noise. No clue about the throttle body. I'll check the bolts this afternoon.
post #281 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 08:09 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Yes, that's the noise. No clue about the throttle body. I'll check the bolts this afternoon.
If it's the throttle body, it could just be the air whistling by the butterfly valve. I think the whistling noise is common but stock intake boxes help block the noise. The "cold-air" setups can allow the noise to travel.

Either that or sounds maybe like a pulley isn't happy.
post #282 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

Hate to say it but that high pitched chirp sure sounds like an LS lifter failure to me. The roller tip will make that type of noise before it completely grenades taking the cam with it.

Not all that uncommon of an issue unfortunately and requires that the heads come off to replace.
post #283 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
Hate to say it but that high pitched chirp sure sounds like an LS lifter failure to me. The roller tip will make that type of noise before it completely grenades taking the cam with it.

Not all that uncommon of an issue unfortunately and requires that the heads come off to replace.
What baffles me is that it seems to be dependent on engine temp. It's not always there and at idle it makes zero noise. As soon as you come off idle, it comes in.
post #284 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 12:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Have you tried putting a higher weight oil in it? I know the recommended oil is 5-30w..........maybe a straight 30w or 40w. Those thin oils are really just there to squeeze out every last mpg they can.

Kevin
post #285 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

No, I just changed the oil too. I've always run the reccomend weight dexos.
post #286 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Took the a/c belt off and it's dead quiet again. Drove it around until it was full hot and never once heard a peep out of that noise.

However with how weird it's been I have zero faith until it's been gone for more than 1 outing that the issue was something with the a/c, the belt that runs it, or the tensioner the whole time.
post #287 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 04:20 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Took the a/c belt off and it's dead quiet again. Drove it around until it was full hot and never once heard a peep out of that noise.

However with how weird it's been I have zero faith until it's been gone for more than 1 outing that the issue was something with the a/c, the belt that runs it, or the tensioner the whole time.
Tensioner pulley ftw!!!
post #288 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 04:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Oh for God sakes, make up your mind.

Did you get my pm about the headers?

Kevin
post #289 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 04:58 PM
Granite Guru

Do you have a tensioner on the a/c? Not using a stretch belt?

As far as lifters go, your symptoms sounds about right for initial onset of failure. The ones I have seen will at first gall the roller causing the chirping, then start skipping which sounds more like a tick, followed by turning in the bore at which point the weekend is ruined.
post #290 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Oh for God sakes, make up your mind.

Did you get my pm about the headers?
Yes, I passed along the info, that's a hell of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
Do you have a tensioner on the a/c? Not using a stretch belt?

As far as lifters go, your symptoms sounds about right for initial onset of failure. The ones I have seen will at first gall the roller causing the chirping, then start skipping which sounds more like a tick, followed by turning in the bore at which point the weekend is ruined.
Yes there is a tensioner on the a/c belt. I just removed the belt to eliminate everything related to the a/c system.

I would tend to agree with you but the fact that the noise isn't there all of the time (comes and goes) and this has been going on for a long while now (at lest a year) leads me to believe if it was internal that something would have given it up by now. It still runs great is the thing, so if its gonna break I just want it to go ahead and get it over with so I can get to upgrading.
post #291 of 296 Old 02-26-2019, 05:42 PM
Granite Guru

Nice that it appears to be external but agree, internal problems tend to lead to more fun in the end.
post #292 of 296 Old 03-02-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Another outing and no noise. I think that was it.
post #293 of 296 Old 03-03-2019, 08:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Another outing and no noise. I think that was it.
Good to hear.

Kevin
post #294 of 296 Old 04-07-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

This happened last week. Was a pain in the ass finding the new appropriate belt length, ATI was worthless for helping me find it (both belts in the pic are wrong). It's a 10% underdrive pulley and it toned down the steering a bit and I'm really liking that. It was fun for sure changing it without removing anything around it.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 04-07-2019 at 06:18 PM.
post #295 of 296 Old 04-07-2019, 07:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Did you notice any less vibes with it installed? I've always wondered why the LS's didn't run an actual balancer.

Kevin
post #296 of 296 Old 04-08-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Did you notice any less vibes with it installed? I've always wondered why the LS's didn't run an actual balancer.
I try to evaluate it from the perspective of would I really notice a difference if I didnt know it had been changed. It's hard to say since I know for sure it was changed. I'm not sure if its mental or there is an actual difference. Trying to be completely unbiased I do feel that it revs smoother. I had no clue these cranks are not keyed and you just slap the balancer on wherever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode