post #201 of 420 Old 09-21-2016, 08:56 PM
Granite Guru

Hmmmm, no nonsense everyday drive ability and reality info
. Thank you!!

"It's not the critic who counts..." T. Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 420 Old 09-30-2016, 05:28 AM

I usually just read posts for info but I had to chim in. I am just now finishing a DIY L96 6.0L using Motechs kit. A little tuning and I'll be set. Originally I called all 4 of the top JK LS swap companies and got the best quotes i could since cost was a big factor for me. I was really on the fence between paying Motech a bit more and knowing I would be properly taken care of based on reputation or saving some money with RPM and taking a risk on thier still in development at the time new canbus system. I decided to go with Jon at RPM extreme since his price was lowest and since he convinced me that thier new conversion was just as good as Motech quality. The interesting thing is they told me that they bought a few kits from Motech, knew Robbie and after installing thier kit decided to reverse engineer it and start selling LS swaps but at a slightly lower cost, all said when trying to convince me about thier kit quality.

Long story short, RPM told me the entire kit was 6 weeks out based on the harness production but all hardware was in stock ready to ship. They ultimately fell through on every guarantee to ship me ANYTHING at all after more than 2 months, and many emails and calls. Jon was not the most professional on the phone either. Gave me every excuse why parts were still being fab'd still and not shipped, etc. Turns out they also had some hidden costs that are included in Motechs kit.

I promptly got a full refund and went with Motech. I had my truck hardware kit delivered one week. Ive been VERY happy with thier customer service but have run into a few issues, missing or bad parts, wrong tune sent, etc, but main issue was my fault for getting a stupid low mileage 2009 6L80 for my 2012 L96 requiring custom tuning, but hey life's not alway served on a golden platter. The customer service is priceless. As for the few instructions they were a bit vague but only up to the point of actually working on that particular item so between the video, instructions and sorry Robbie ;-) a number of quick phone calls, everything went together perfectly. But come on, if your going to tackle a DIY LS swap you should have a fair amount of common sense and that's all you need instead of AEV style instructions. There are too many variances in LS swap configurations to have instructions for each IMO.

I fully recommend Motech to anyone, they won't ever leave you hanging even though buisiness seems to be growing exponentially! Thanks Robbie and most importantly your crew also. Carlos.
tapcola likes this.
post #203 of 420 Old 09-30-2016, 07:51 AM
JKowners Vendor

Really "carlos" your second post on this forum and you come in here and publicly slander me and my company?

You purchased and paid for the item on 4-7-16 (Thursday) around noon. By the 20th you sent me a email asking to put your order on hold until you revisit your options. That was a little less than 2 weeks from your order. You were told up front that the kit was 6 weeks out as the “new” style harnesses were to be built and that the kits would be fulfilled in the order that they were received. In that 2 week time we exchanged 17 emails and multiple phone calls. You were given a full refund on 4-26-16. Out of all the orders we have you were the only person calling or emailing on a almost daily basis. The timeline was set up front and nothing changed. Every email and phone call seemed to me like you were trying to catch me in a lie. Honestly I was very happy to refund your money so you could go in another direction and get your Jeep done.

Robbie. Did you put this guy up to this?
4wheels4life and Wannarun like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 420 Old 09-30-2016, 09:08 AM
Rock God

I haven't even ordered my kit from Jon yet but I fully intend to. I have called several times to his shop and spoken directly with him every time. Without having spent a penny with him yet he has spent tons of time going over stuff with me and has never been anything but professional.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
4wheels4life likes this.
post #205 of 420 Old 09-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
I haven't even ordered my kit from Jon yet but I fully intend to. I have called several times to his shop and spoken directly with him every time. Without having spent a penny with him yet he has spent tons of time going over stuff with me and has never been anything but professional.

Same here. Always been professional and upfront about timelines. I will be ordering a 2012+ Gen V kit as soon as it is available.
post #206 of 420 Old 09-30-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

We want to thoroughly test the Gen V swap so we allowed our customer to take it on the trail. The MoTech Gen V 6.2 L86 and an early build MoTech LS3 drove 540 miles to the Fordyce trail from Vegas. The two JK's ran the trail then drove 540 miles back to Vegas. I'm happy to report both JK's ran perfect and we gathered data to help fine tune the Gen V engine, mostly to do with 4 cylinder mode. In a heavy JK with 40's going 80 mph at altitude there is a lot of load and there is no getting around the physics to move that amount of weight. I had Mitch go with them to log data and what they saw was 14 mpg in V8 mode and 19 mpg in 4 cylinder mode. With the Gen V JK fully loaded with gear and 3 guys it was not in the 4 cylinder mode much at those speeds, once unloaded the 4 cylinder mode kicked in a lot more. I will post videos from various sources on the trip but none of the videos are mine. I am extremely happy with the performance of the Gen V engine, in video two you can see the Gen V 6.2 pulls the LS3 flat out, both these vehicles are running stock tunes. The Gen V engine can also run on regular gas where the LS3 requires premium. I think think this particular trail is not only scenic but sees a lot less traffic than the Rubicon. I will post a lot of footage so fast forward if you get bored.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #207 of 420 Old 09-30-2016, 01:57 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjamboreejk View Post
Long story short, RPM told me the entire kit was 6 weeks out based on the harness production but all hardware was in stock ready to ship. They ultimately fell through on every guarantee to ship me ANYTHING at all after more than 2 months, and many emails and calls. Jon was not the most professional on the phone either. Gave me every excuse why parts were still being fab'd still and not shipped, etc. Turns out they also had some hidden costs that are included in Motechs kit.
Wow! I really find this hard to believe. I have dealt with Jon on two separate purchases and was really one of the first to do both items and I have never had an issue with customer service or his ability to deliver on his products, (believe me I have had some issues and only me, lucky that way having them and Jon has always and I mean always been there for me. Great product, great business and a Great Person.

2007 JKU X, 6.0 ls and 6L80e with a diy kit from RpmExtreme, 4.10, 4" ProComp Stage 1 lift, AEV drop brackets, 325/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Eagle Offroad Alloys 18"x10"
post #208 of 420 Old 09-30-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #209 of 420 Old 09-30-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #210 of 420 Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Granite Guru

Nice videos! Do you have any pics of the exhaust and how you ran it? Also, is that power steering whine in the vid?
post #211 of 420 Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Granite Guru

The exhaust comes back from the manifolds and the driver side goes straight back to the muffler, the passenger side comes just behind the atlas and under the transfercase tail shaft across to parallel the driver side exhaust into the 2 into one muffler. Yes. The silver jeep power steering pump is whining in the video.
post #212 of 420 Old 10-01-2016, 07:37 AM

Jon I apologize, not trying to be neg here, just commenting positively on previous posts I saw about harnesses and such. Sue me. I never received anything from you except excuses and we wont ever agree but we both know the truth. I'm sorry I upset you with a shout out for great customer service to Motech. You didn't deny the harness rev eng??? Good on ya.
post #213 of 420 Old 10-01-2016, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Don is a good driver and has a lot of experience on trails like this, it takes common sense to get through trails like this then drive home, not trailer.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #214 of 420 Old 10-01-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #215 of 420 Old 10-01-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #216 of 420 Old 10-01-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #217 of 420 Old 10-01-2016, 01:25 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Jon I apologize, not trying to be neg here, just commenting positively on previous posts I saw about harnesses and such. Sue me. I never received anything from you except excuses and we wont ever agree but we both know the truth. I'm sorry I upset you with a shout out for great customer service to Motech. You didn't deny the harness rev eng??? Good on ya.
If you do indeed READ posts on JKO, even though you don't post yourself, you should know that vendor bashing rarely goes well. Its just not in good taste to come on the forum and start bashing a vendor, especially with a case as (apparently) weak as yours. (You ordered a kit with a 4 to 6 week lead time and then got a full refund 19 days later.)

"Not trying to be neg(ative) here..." Well then why didn't you just give a shout out for the great customer service that your received from Motech?? Why take the low road and bash RPM with a story that (based on the dates from Jon in his reply) doesn't hold up?

And the whole "reverse engineering" part of your rant doesn't add up either. I have talked to Jon about his product and he told me his version of how he got into the LS conversion business. He never mentioned anything about "reverse engineering" a Motech kit. Even if he did, which I highly, highly doubt, why would any rational person tell a perspective customer that story?? I would think the first reaction from any potential customer would be to go buy the real deal and not a knock off. Besides, even Robbie has said that Motech and RPM have taken a very different approach to the software integration between the FCA side of things and the Chevrolet side of things. If it was reverse engineered, wouldn't these be at least similar???

As someone who has wanted to do an LS (now upgraded to an LT) conversion for 2 years, (with a DIY kit) I am excited to see competition in this space. I think talking about the positives of each of the vendors is the way to keep the conversation where it belongs - on the high road.
post #218 of 420 Old 10-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Rock God

It's also not like you call motech and get a kit in a week and are ready to go. You still have to send off your instrument cluster for whatever the reason and your gear selector mechanism to them, have them mod both, and then wait to be sent back. Neither place is an immediate get right to work solution. This guy is obviously trolling as his story is the only one of the sort I have seen on the Internet pertaining to rpm and bad customer service. If a kit is stated to take 6 weeks and you ask for a refund after 19 days it sounds like you are what business owners like to call "the impossible customer". Can't be pleased no mater what they do.

So please unless you are full of shit tell us what all these excuses were? And what the "truth" really is.

post #219 of 420 Old 10-01-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
As someone who has wanted to do an LS (now upgraded to an LT) conversion for 2 years, (with a DIY kit) I am excited to see competition in this space. I think talking about the positives of each of the vendors is the way to keep the conversation where it belongs - on the high road.
I agree and would like to keep this thread OT, on our Gen V swap. I have taken no action again RPM nor would ever get a customer involved that is childish. I will comment on your statement though then let's get back OT.

The end result is we all want a fully functional JK so I will try and explain some of the differences in our approaches. We run a full and complete GM network with factory calibrations as required by the USEPA to keep your JK legal and safe, we feel there are no shortcuts. This includes a ECM, BCM and TCM, each has a critical job in the network. Each has its input/output functions and diagnostics. As the LS has become popular in the JK several approaches have emerged to gain functionality, one competitor puts an LS inside a Chrysler network; I think we all know how compliant that is.

Jon is heavily dependent on a CAN interface, we have actually had a CAN interface in our electronics since 2013. Here's the issue we have, bridging networks through CAN is a great idea and can add functionality. Our Gen IV MoTech module will use CAN to bridge some non critical signals and dash displays as you will see.

Most importantly to us is we stay pure to the OE network and it's OS. It is amazing how much money and time go into proper calibrations for safety, performance, emissions.....manufacturers spend millions. I feel I have a different perspective than many newcomers since I have been an emissions diagnostic technition for over 20 years, I have worked with both GM and Jeep and understand many underlying issues that may not be clear on the surface.

We maintain a BCM for many reasons. The BCM has a great deal of effect on engine performance and is required to keep you JK legal. A few examples are: The BCM acts as the power mode module for the network, this means the BCM wakes up and puts to sleep the other modules. If this is not done properly you end up with a small key off draw, you end up with monitors that will not set properly for emission drive cycles, you have KAM-keep alive memory, RAP-Retained accessory power...... Power modes are critical to proper powertrain operation and cannot be mimicked easily. OS's can be hacked and patched to power down but now you are no longer pure.

The BCM is critical in the operation of cruise control and electronic shifting. Years ago we used a Corvette tune and got tapshift and CC functional without a BCM, but it became apparent it was not as safe or functional as a properly monitored system. We simulated brake and CC switch failures which led to runaway throttles. Tapshift in the Camaro's and truck tunes we use are dependent on a BCM for proper function. The BCM receives the signal from the switch gear, whether it be Mux, serial or CAN. The BCM has a important diagnostic capability which keeps you safe. The BCM receives it's own independent brake switch data, the ECM and TCM have their own brake switch inputs. The BCM runs a diagnostic on brake switch data before allowing a CC command. The CC diagnostic is not limited to brake switch(or brake position) data, system voltage, VSS and other data is processed by the BCM to allow CC to go active when it is safe. So while you can receive and transmit a valid CC command to activate CC by bypassing the diagnostics of the BCM it can be very risky.

I just had a customer from Phoenix with an LS3 JK we did a year ago come in with issues. His compass module was fried and the CC was inop and he was going into reduced power. Turns out his electrical system was damaged from welding, shorted battery, etc. Several JK modules were fried and it was the BCM that was putting the LS3 into reduced power. The BCM sensed the CC signals were erratic because the switch electronics were damaged; without a BCM that diagnostic would not have been run and it may have resulted badly. The BCM monitors system voltage and affects engine performance accordingly. When you use the BCM for tapshift a complex series of events happen. the BCM processes the signal, the engine anticipates the shift and rpm matches, the TCM makes the shift with the appropriate feel, it's a coordinated effort. Sure there are work arounds to get tapshift without the pure OS but we chose the pure OS to maintain these diagnostics and safety the manufacturer built in.

IMO there are no shot cuts, the OS and networks must remain pure, all diagnostics must be in network monitoring and functioning as intended or there is a liability. I do not want to risk my customers or families safety. My wife(and kids) have driven a 2008 LS JK since 2010 and have nearly 130,000 miles on it. My wife is reliant on CC virtually everyday. After experiencing throttle runaways I can tell you my wife most likely would not react fast enough and I don't want that burdening me. I feel her JK is as safe as the OE vehicle with multiple redundant brake signals, and full OE diagnostics.

There is a lot more but this is the beginning of why we do what we do, safety, compliance and functionality all must work together. Soon we will bring online some CAN bridging to give you the "eye candy" as I call it, but it will be secondary to safety and a proper pure network. We will maintain all required modules with all proper monitoring, then we will add the fluff. We are even working on an adjustable traction control for the JK so you can go faster than no traction control.

This is an answer to your statement and why we are different then everybody out there. CAN bridging to eliminate components for an easier install and add functionality may have it's place, but it is second place for us at this point, we will stay pure then add the features you want. This is not a criticism just an explanation why we chose to do it the hard way; however, to be fair our swaps today only require about 6 wires be connected into the vehicle. We hope to get down to 100% plug and play soon if we can source or manufacturer some connectors. Doing it the hard way may have a negative affect on us in the end but it comes down to me taking responsibility to do it the way I feel it needs to be done. I can see a place for the other methods, not just Jon's but the others too. I have chosen the same path as GM, to as closely as I can follow their engineering and compliance to get similar results with performance, emissions and safety, again I see no shortcuts going this route. It's too bad the consumers sometimes do not see what goes on behind the curtain but you can trust me when I say I have made the decision to spend the extra money, lose the functionality to stay true to the mission goal of a safe and compliant JK for our customers. We currently have hardware and harnesses in stock, we are shipping the hardware quickly within a week. The electronics must be tailored to each vehicle but we have the components on the shelf and we are shipping them within a couple weeks unlike two years ago when it took 8-12 weeks. We have a few great harness guys that got ahead of the curve and currently there is no wait on harnesses, we have both truck and LS3 in stock.

I suggest if you want to continue the "difference" start one elsewhere I'd like to keep this thread OT.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #220 of 420 Old 10-01-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #221 of 420 Old 10-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Wheeler

As you can see I got sand blasted! I had a great experience on my first off road trip. Thanks for including me in on the trip Jeepylit! I learned a ton about how vital our work is. It would suck to breakdown in the middle of the wilderness. I still cant believe that any vehicle can be so capable. I hope to attend more events so if any Motech customers would like please send an invite my way. I include free tech support
post #222 of 420 Old 10-02-2016, 07:35 AM
Granite Guru

I wanted to see what all the Gen V hype was about so I took one for a drive.

I guess you can say I was impressed...

I'm not sure which way this effected putting one in my JEEP. The new car might have financially slowed it down a bit but the motivational factor might more than make up for it!
post #223 of 420 Old 10-02-2016, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
You sure have a funny way of apologizing. Talking more shit doesn't really qualify. By the sound of it, math isn't really a strong point of yours either. All you had to say was you had a good experience with Motech and that would have looked good for Motech. But....you blew it, you made everything you said unbelievable and made yourself look silly in the process.

Kevin
post #224 of 420 Old 10-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Wheeler

What exhaust set up did you end up using for the Gen V? I remember seeing a video that you wanted it to sound good in 4 cylinder mode as well. Are there any videos of new Jeep with the new exhaust? Thank you for your time!
post #225 of 420 Old 10-26-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Few more videos of the Gen V trip

tapcola likes this.

MoTech
725-502-8507

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in