MoTech Gen V LS Conversion - Page 7 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 420 Old 08-18-2016, 06:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
You can eliminate any emissions you want but I do not recommend it. If you disable the EVAP system you may smell fuel on the trail or in your garage. I like to run the rear O2's for various reasons, remember the rear O2's can be used for fuel control as well as Cat monitoring. These emission systems really do not affect performance so I would leave them active and remain compliant. On the 480 HP engine it can be difficult to find Cats that will hold together, you need to get some good quality high flow Cats like off a Corvette.
Robbie,
What cats would you recommend for running the LS3/525? I just ordered the engine yesterday and have begun buying all the rest of the needed parts.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 420 Old 08-18-2016, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Robbie,
What cats would you recommend for running the LS3/525? I just ordered the engine yesterday and have begun buying all the rest of the needed parts.
That's a tough one. Ordinary cats will blow out within a year on the 480 and 525HP engines due to the high rpm and cylinder pressures. You will have to spend some money for Corvette or high performance cats. John at Overland may make a recommendation since he has a lot of experience with them. We run high performance spun 7" bullet converters

Since the 525 engine is not compliant you may consider not running the cats as an option.

MoTech
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #153 of 420 Old 08-18-2016, 06:47 PM
Rock God

Its something that can be added later for sure though if the need or want arises. I think I will go without for the time being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 420 Old 08-18-2016, 06:57 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Robbie,
I blew out my cats behind the LS3 and had a local hot rod shop put together a complete stainless system from manifolds back and used the Vibrant GESi 7525 cats. You can find them on amazon at a decent price.

post #155 of 420 Old 08-18-2016, 07:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
That's a tough one. Ordinary cats will blow out within a year on the 480 and 525HP engines due to the high rpm and cylinder pressures. You will have to spend some money for Corvette or high performance cats. John at Overland may make a recommendation since he has a lot of experience with them. We run high performance spun 7" bullet converters

Since the 525 engine is not compliant you may consider not running the cats as an option.
Thanks Robbie,
I spoke to John today, we didn't discuss cat options though. He's got his feelers out for a 0 mile 6l90 for me.

Random question. I'm going to be ordering a Hero 3spd transfer case in the next couple days. They have a option of a VSS tail
housing. Is there any reason I would want to have this added?
Could this be used instead of the one needed wheel speed sensor to make the speedo work? I have no idea.

Kevin
post #156 of 420 Old 08-18-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Thanks Robbie,
I spoke to John today, we didn't discuss cat options though. He's got his feelers out for a 0 mile 6l90 for me.

Random question. I'm going to be ordering a Hero 3spd transfer case in the next couple days. They have a option of a VSS tail
housing. Is there any reason I would want to have this added?
Could this be used instead of the one needed wheel speed sensor to make the speedo work? I have no idea.
The 6l80 and 90 have a transmission output shaft sensor -TOS which is used for GM VSS in high and low range. The JK gets it's VSS signal from the 4 wheel speed sensors which is sent to the ABS module then the network. No need for a VSS on the TC have them plug it. Some Gen IV OS's use an additional VSS on the rear of the TC and a 4WD signal into the ECM to tell it it's in 4 low. I was one of the first guys back in 2007 to get this signal functional with help from EFI Live and OS patches. After running both ways, off the TOS and replicated signal with 4WD indication I found little difference. You can also program a 4 low pattern into your transmission and get a different shift pattern than normal but I find the normal pattern sufficient.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #157 of 420 Old 08-18-2016, 07:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
The 6l80 and 90 have a transmission output shaft sensor -TOS which is used for GM VSS in high and low range. The JK gets it's VSS signal from the 4 wheel speed sensors which is sent to the ABS module then the network. No need for a VSS on the TC have them plug it. Some Gen IV OS's use an additional VSS on the rear of the TC and a 4WD signal into the ECM to tell it it's in 4 low. I was one of the first guys back in 2007 to get this signal functional with help from EFI Live and OS patches. After running both ways, off the TOS and replicated signal with 4WD indication I found little difference. You can also program a 4 low pattern into your transmission and get a different shift pattern than normal but I find the normal pattern sufficient.
Thank you Sir.

Kevin
post #158 of 420 Old 08-18-2016, 07:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorge33 View Post
I blew out my cats behind the LS3 and had a local hot rod shop put together a complete stainless system from manifolds back and used the Vibrant GESi 7525 cats. You can find them on amazon at a decent price.
Will definitely check into them.

Thanks

Kevin
post #159 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 06:58 AM
Rock God

While I am leaning to the 480hp ls3, I watched a few videos of the 525hp version and lawd that idle sound. Briefly what all else would be needed to support the 525hp version?

I am guessing at the least an upgraded fuel pump and looser convertor. What else am I missing?

Last edited by Dkjeep; 08-19-2016 at 08:35 AM.
post #160 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjeep View Post
While I am leaning to the 480hp ls3, I watched a few videos of the 525hp version and lawd that idle sound. Briefly what all else would be needed to support the 525hp version?

I am guessing at the least an upgraded fuel pump and looser convertor. What else am I missing?
We have a good tune for the 480 HP engine and the automatic transmission. The 480 and 525 HP engines are GM Performance engines, not production engines so we do not have OE calibrations for them.

The 525 HP LS3 builds we have done ran manual transmissions. We loosen up the converter on the 480 HP builds and run the stock pump. I would run an upgraded in tank pump with the 525 HP engine and a high performance converter. We work with Edge Converters in California and they did a good job, the 6l80 converter is different than the old converters so you have to know what you are doing.

You may contact John at Overland for a 525 HP automatic tune to see what he offers. Running the 525 engine with an automatic transmission can have issues if you do not have a good tune. John has spent over a year on the 480 HP automatic tune and the drivability is near stock, even the idle.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #161 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

The Gen V 6.2L, L86 how does it pair with the 6L80e compared to the 6L90e?

Any idea yet on what a in shop JK 6.2L Gen V conversion would run?
post #162 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
We have a good tune for the 480 HP engine and the automatic transmission. The 480 and 525 HP engines are GM Performance engines, not production engines so we do not have OE calibrations for them.

The 525 HP LS3 builds we have done ran manual transmissions. We loosen up the converter on the 480 HP builds and run the stock pump. I would run an upgraded in tank pump with the 525 HP engine and a high performance converter. We work with Edge Converters in California and they did a good job, the 6l80 converter is different than the old converters so you have to know what you are doing.

You may contact John at Overland for a 525 HP automatic tune to see what he offers. Running the 525 engine with an automatic transmission can have issues if you do not have a good tune. John has spent over a year on the 480 HP automatic tune and the drivability is near stock, even the idle.
Ok, it sounds like more of a undertaking than this is already going to be going with the 525. If you have worked that hard on the 480hp tune I think its going to be less of a headache to just run that. Its already gonna be crazy in a 2dr.

As far as the convertor, do I need to send that to you along with the other components when that time comes for you to work the magic on it?
post #163 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 03:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

What stall are you having put in the converters on the 480's you've done?

I'm giving Edge a call now.

Kevin
post #164 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
What stall are you having put in the converters on the 480's you've done?

I'm giving Edge a call now.
I'm not actually sure it converts over to a stall figure like the old converters since the 6l80 is a clutch to clutch design with a converter. If I had to pick a number it would be 2,600 but it was the most Edge wanted to go before they wanted to go with the billet housing.
post #165 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 04:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I'm not actually sure it converts over to a stall figure like the old converters since the 6l80 is a clutch to clutch design with a converter. If I had to pick a number it would be 2,600 but it was the most Edge wanted to go before they wanted to go with the billet housing.
Just got off the phone with Edge. That guy (Andrey) knows his shit. Ya, he said for the LS525 he wanted to go with the full billet converter, 2800 stall. So that's what I ordered from him.

That was one of those phone conversations where I end up wishing I was smarter..................Kind of like talking with you Robbie.

Kevin
post #166 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 05:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Just got off the phone with Edge. That guy (Andrey) knows his shit. Ya, he said for the LS525 he wanted to go with the full billet converter, 2800 stall. So that's what I ordered from him.

That was one of those phone conversations where I end up wishing I was smarter..................Kind of like talking with you Robbie.
What did that run and are you running an auto trans? Im right behind you on ordering stuff and I want to make sure I get the right stuff.
post #167 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
What did that run and are you running an auto trans? Im right behind you on ordering stuff and I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

The dude ordered a torque converter, and you want to know if he is running an auto transmission?
coilrod likes this.

2012 JKUR w/ couple modifications
2002 BMW E46 M3
post #168 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 08:41 PM
Wheeler

We did a test drive with the owner today and it went great. It goes into 4 cylinder mode whenever cruising. It even did at 65 mph which is quite impressive. A tow/haul function will be wired into the old Over drive button for when he wants to disable 4 cylinder mode . The temps stayed in the 212 range and all went well. Next is to get the GM variable A/C compressor working. After that will be cruise and tap shift. Tomorrow we will be doing an off road test and I will report back with some aerial video footage.
post #169 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 PM
Wheeler

post #170 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannarun View Post
The dude ordered a torque converter, and you want to know if he is running an auto transmission?
Ahh shit, Ive been drinking this evening and didn't put 2 and 2 together. I do wanna know what it cost though.
post #171 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 09:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I'd feel a little silly if I bought a converter and had a manual trans. Yes, running a 6l90. Converter was $810+shipping. If you go through Edge, plan on being on the phone for a while. He wants to know everything about the vehicle and how you will use it.

Kevin
post #172 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 09:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by motechtech View Post
We did a test drive with the owner today and it went great. It goes into 4 cylinder mode whenever cruising. It even did at 65 mph which is quite impressive. A tow/haul function will be wired into the old Over drive button for when he wants to disable 4 cylinder mode . The temps stayed in the 212 range and all went well. Next is to get the GM variable A/C compressor working. After that will be cruise and tap shift. Tomorrow we will be doing an off road test and I will report back with some aerial video footage.
Are you running your HD rad on it?

Kevin
post #173 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 09:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I'd feel a little silly if I bought a converter and had a manual trans. Yes, running a 6l90. Converter was $810+shipping. If you go through Edge, plan on being on the phone for a while. He wants to know everything about the vehicle and how you will use it.
Hey thanks for the info and that's no prob. I am really wanting to go with the 525 hp engine. I would like to hear what you know about it so far. Who are you going to get to tune it? fuel pump?, etc.... You can PM me if you want.

Last edited by Dkjeep; 08-19-2016 at 09:50 PM.
post #174 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Are you running your HD rad on it?
Yes, it has the dual pass HD radiator on it. Today it was running the factory 3.8 fan. The pentastar fan will be getting installed next week.
post #175 of 420 Old 08-19-2016, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
The Gen V 6.2L, L86 how does it pair with the 6L80e compared to the 6L90e?

Any idea yet on what a in shop JK 6.2L Gen V conversion would run?
One of the surprising things with the Gen V swap is it integrates so well with the JK there are economies. In addition most Gen IV 6.2's are out of production so prices are holding high while GM is cranking out the Gen V's and prices are dropping. I would look for the cost of the Gen V swap to be slightly higher at first then similar if not slightly less then the Gen IV.

MoTech
725-502-8507

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode