JSS 5.7 Hemi swap with a twist, we're jamming one in a postal. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 136 Old 02-01-2015, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
JSS 5.7 Hemi swap with a twist, we're jamming one in a postal.

Hey all, after spending years watching you guys rip out the 3.8 turd motor and fit Hemi's ( and Chevs) to your JKs, I've finally got the green light from the minister of war and finance to upgrade to a Hemi!!

Now before you Chev boys try to sell me on a LS swap, whilst I can appreciate the benefits of a LS,(less weight, better mpg and so on), between the wife and myself, we have a couple of Mopars so it's kinda in the blood, ya dig?

Ok, the deal is I'm getting a kit with a 5.7 VVT MDS Hemi from Todd to fit into a 07 Rubi unlimited.
The difference in this thread to other Hemi builds is my Rubi is RHD, so bear with me folks, this might get a bit challenging.

The kit I'm getting from Todd is essentially a std hemi kit minus the dedicated LH gear eg, battery tray and stuff that wont work for RHD.

I've searched high and low for RHD swaps and have only found a handful on the web.I know of 2 on the Aussie forum and one from South Africa. And a big thanks for those boys that posted. And from what I'm hearing from people is that none are plug and play yet. This will get interesting me thinks

Several are running around, but their builds haven't been posted on forums.

This build will be a little mundane compared to the usual posted, as the purpose of the swap is more touring (expedition) and towing a poptop van that weighs in at around 1700KGS, so you know where I'm going with this?
Need power for them thar hills! And 8's sound shit hot!

Ok, getting a bit carried away, right, specs as she stands now.

* 07 Rubi with std running gear, including 4.10 ratio's
* 4 in Teraflex kit
* fab Four front bar
* Custom (me) rear bar
* a couple of custom items (me again)( rear floor in cargo area to anchor fridge and roof console for radio's.
285's on stocko rims (for now) May step up to 305's
So that will give you an idea of the weight I'm running and why I'd like to utilize the MDS for improved economy on a trip.
I know , I know , fitting a Hemi and wanting economy
Here's some pics and I'll keep this updated as stuff happens, first is getting the kit shipped from CA to Brisbane, hope you guys are patient.

Last edited by Rodjk; 08-06-2017 at 01:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Did you check your list 50 times to make sure you ordered everything. It would suck to be near the end of the build and find you forgot something.

Hemi swaps are not boring to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 136 Old 02-01-2015, 02:52 PM
Rock God

If going Hemi why not AEV Hemi Kit. Its the most comkete plug and play hemi kit in the market and available in RHD with engineering certificate..? stu and Jeep konnection are the two who have done many RHD Hemi. May be few coins more but save yourself a headache and get your V8 running in no time instead of months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 136 Old 02-02-2015, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Did you check your list 50 times to make sure you ordered everything. It would suck to be near the end of the build and find you forgot something.

Hemi swaps are not boring to watch.
Hey Gunny, no matter how hard you try to plan stuff like this, there will always be a piss ant issue that will bring the whole show to a grinding halt. I wont put a deadline on myself as that would just compound things.

My biggest concern would be the electrical side of the swap. I do believe that some wires may need to be extended, which is the easy part, it's the gremlins that find their way into the show that will test my mettle. Might need to get Todds cell number

We believe we've sorted the RH steering and oil filter clashing issue so that's a no brainer.

Power steer lines could get interesting but could have a fix for that also.

One possible issue could ( don't know yet) be the relation of the firewall to the left ( looking from the front) cylinder bank as that bank is set further back than the right bank, some thing to think about, maybe.

Any other drama's will be sorted via UPS or DHL air, order tuesday am , delivered friday am.

Rod.
post #5 of 136 Old 02-02-2015, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK07 View Post
If going Hemi why not AEV Hemi Kit. Its the most comkete plug and play hemi kit in the market and available in RHD with engineering certificate..? stu and Jeep konnection are the two who have done many RHD Hemi. May be few coins more but save yourself a headache and get your V8 running in no time instead of months.
Hey 07, looked high and low for your swap but couldn't find it, ya got a link??

As for AEV, I would prefer the Dodge Ram Hemi as I believe it's the most suitable version for my needs and AEV use the grand version so......

As for getting someone over here to do the swap, ( besides the OTT cost) I couldn't imagine paying someone hard earned dollars to do something that I've wanted to do for years. To me, farming that out would be like getting the best man at you wedding to consummate your marriage. No bloody way!

I can understand that some dudes just don't get the spinning of spanners, you know , those dudes that have to ask which way to turn a bolt,( or due to financial reasons feel forced to do it ) but for me, the old workshop is a comfortable place to create stuff, whether that be regearing a diff, welding up one off items or rebuilding a old classic, so this swap is something for me to get my teeth into. Sounds like therapy eh??

Thanks all the same mate, but I want to be the one to turn the key for the first time.

Rod.
post #6 of 136 Old 02-08-2015, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Here's a video to give you guys a bit of an idea of the right hand setup. If any hawkeye's that have done a Hemi swap see something that could trip me up, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Last edited by Rodjk; 02-08-2015 at 04:28 AM.
post #7 of 136 Old 03-01-2015, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Time for a update.

Todd at JSS is getting all my stuff together ready for shipping. Just going through the little bit n bobs now.

Since I'm going auto, spent the last couple of mornings pulling out the auto stuff i"ll need for the swap.

The donor vehicle that supplied the auto gear was a severely damaged after a 60 mph rollover. The owner was parting out the vehicle so this was a good time to pull the seats and strip the entire dash assembly so that I could get a better understanding of how these units are put together.

After pulling everything apart, I now know what I need to do (and in what order) to get all the gear fitted.

A couple of pics:

Looks like the only difference between LHD and RHD is the pedal.

Now all I'm waiting on is Todd, C'mon man, post a pic of my motor to get me by
Rod.

Last edited by Rodjk; 08-06-2017 at 12:39 AM.
post #8 of 136 Old 03-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Granite Guru

Are you doing anything on upgrading the cooling system ?
post #9 of 136 Old 03-01-2015, 07:15 PM
jss
Rock God

VVT Truck Hemi in a JK

Here is a pic of the engine when it got it here. Having now to build a pallet.
Attached Images

["jeep speed shop The GuineaPig Build"]
VVT Truck Hemi Conversions
The ONLY CARB LEGAL JEEP ENGINE CONVERSION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7911 Redwood Dr, Cotati, Ca. 94931
707-338-3154
post #10 of 136 Old 03-01-2015, 09:51 PM
Rock God

this should be good
post #11 of 136 Old 03-01-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traviso View Post
Are you doing anything on upgrading the cooling system ?
The idea was to run the original radiator to get the kit up and running but after speaking to some folk in the radiator game, I'll be checking out my options closer to start up. One mob that I spoke to is keen as to put together a cooling system to suit my needs. Will keep ya's informed as I go.
post #12 of 136 Old 03-01-2015, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for the pic Todd!!

looks way too good to whack in the Rubi, might have to rip the plastic shit of it, throw a sheet of glass on top and tell the missus that we've got a new coffee table!!
post #13 of 136 Old 03-01-2015, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
this should be good
Looking forward to sharing the trials and tribulations with ya's!
post #14 of 136 Old 03-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodjk View Post
The idea was to run the original radiator to get the kit up and running but after speaking to some folk in the radiator game, I'll be checking out my options closer to start up. One mob that I spoke to is keen as to put together a cooling system to suit my needs. Will keep ya's informed as I go.

I can only recommend this to you. I am also running a 5.7 VVT Hemi in my JK and it is definitely a problem, if you run in hot environment. We are now also trying to setup a good and balanced cooling system for my install.
And we tried already a lot of things.

Btw. Todd´s pcm programming is outstanding. The jeep runs much better than with the standard pcm programming.
post #15 of 136 Old 03-02-2015, 01:41 PM
Wheeler

Look into other options for a radiator before you have JSS build you one.

The radiator they build for my Hemi didn't last a year and started leaking.

Aluminum radiators are NOT cheap.
post #16 of 136 Old 03-03-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traviso View Post
I can only recommend this to you. I am also running a 5.7 VVT Hemi in my JK and it is definitely a problem, if you run in hot environment. We are now also trying to setup a good and balanced cooling system for my install.
And we tried already a lot of things.

Btw. Todd´s pcm programming is outstanding. The jeep runs much better than with the standard pcm programming.
Thanks for your input dude, through my research regarding the Hemi swap, a common theme tends to be the issue with cooling. I'm planning to run the trans on a separate cooler, same with the power steering ( although running 33/34in tyres might be a wank). Also looking to run a engine oil cooler to aid with cooling duties. A minimum 2 pass radiator( will run this by radiator builder) and all fingers crossed.

One of the reasons I went with Todd's mob was the fact he has shit sorted with the pooter. So looking forward to the shit eating grin , most hemi owners talk about!!
post #17 of 136 Old 03-03-2015, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgasser View Post
Look into other options for a radiator before you have JSS build you one.

The radiator they build for my Hemi didn't last a year and started leaking.

Aluminum radiators are NOT cheap.
Hey man, sorry to hear your having a crap run on you radiator and hope you get it sorted soon. I haven't ordered one purely because If I do choose to have a custom one made, I'd like some local advice as in what suits my local conditions and climate.
I have every faith in the product Todd supplies, but thank you for sharing

Looking at the AEV forums, people are having similar issues with their radiators, one fella has gone through 3 of the bastards........

Last edited by Rodjk; 03-04-2015 at 01:47 AM.
post #18 of 136 Old 03-03-2015, 06:52 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodjk View Post
Thanks for your input dude, through my research regarding the Hemi swap, a common theme tends to be the issue with cooling. I'm planning to run the trans on a separate cooler, same with the power steering ( although running 33/34in tyres might be a wank). Also looking to run a engine oil cooler to aid with cooling duties. A minimum 2 pass radiator( will run this by radiator builder) and all fingers crossed.

One of the reasons I went with Todd's mob was the fact he has shit sorted with the pooter. So looking forward to the shit eating grin , most hemi owners talk about!!
The AEV radiator has good cooling capacity but with any V8 in a tight compartment it needs to run the fan most of the time on trail/ in traffic. My fan is huge and keeps the temp between 204* - 215* most times. I would recommend a Ron Davis radiator for your rig as it has more cooling capacity. I always liked belt driven fans like the trucks use for their constant cooling & reliability but the front the engine has little room. You will like the power!!

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #19 of 136 Old 03-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Wheeler

Another RHD JK trying to do the Hemi conversion

Hi Rod,

My name is Chris I am in UK with a 2008 Rubicon and I also want to fit a 5.7 Hemi (non VVT unfortunately) in it.

I already bought a 2nd hand 5.7 Hemi from a Scrap yard and they told me it comes from a 2006 Grand Cherokee.

I called Todd about 1/4 hour ago and he gave me your details as my big concern is this one: Do you think my engine will fit in my RHD JK?
I know the question sounds weird but I emailed my picture this afternoon to Eric Matney who is Techical support for AEV Conversion branch and he told me that my Alternator would hit the steering gear !

I asked the same question to Todd and he thinks it would be ok.

What do you think ?

Last edited by French Chris; 05-11-2015 at 05:31 AM.
post #20 of 136 Old 03-04-2015, 11:33 PM
Wheeler

Yup...

My first radiator was an aev, lasted a couple years but still sprang a leak... Scrap pile

Called up Todd, told him what I had and what I needed and he fixed me up. Few weeks later and $800 some odd dollars later I was back on the road.

Fast forward about a year, out of fuckin nowhere it starts leaking. Called and no answer and voicemail was full. Sent a PM here and never responded.

I found someone local that built me one, much nicer having something custom built to fit. With an 18 month warranty in writing for a couple hundred bucks less than before with shit warranty.

Just an FYI griffin has one, $750ish with a 2yr warranty, give them a hollar.

And yes... The hemi grin is a beautiful thing!!

Last edited by HDgasser; 03-04-2015 at 11:41 PM.
post #21 of 136 Old 03-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Wheeler

Throw in a lower temp t-stat, 70/30 zerex/water and you MIGHT hit 200* pulling a grade.

I did this, along with sealing up the intake as much as possible and have drastically reduced temps to the point I am extremely happy.

All with the factory fan and shroud.
post #22 of 136 Old 03-05-2015, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubatech View Post
The AEV radiator has good cooling capacity but with any V8 in a tight compartment it needs to run the fan most of the time on trail/ in traffic. My fan is huge and keeps the temp between 204* - 215* most times. I would recommend a Ron Davis radiator for your rig as it has more cooling capacity. I always liked belt driven fans like the trucks use for their constant cooling & reliability but the front the engine has little room. You will like the power!!
Thanks for the info dude, I'm thinking that the secret to cooling lies in the capacity of the system. So whilst the radiator size is obviously important,( and an efficient heat exchange) the major factor is the total capacity of the cooling system. Cheers for the info!!
post #23 of 136 Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by French Chris View Post
Hi Rod,

My name is Chris I am in UK with a 2008 Rubicon and I also want to fit a 5.7 Hemi (non VVT unfortunately) in it.

I already bought a 2nd hand 5.7 Hemi from a Scrap yard and they told me it comes from a 2006 Grand Cherokee.

I called Todd about 1/4 hour ago and he gave me your details as my big concern is this one: Do you think my engine will fit in my RHD JK?
I know the question sounds weird but I emailed my picture this afternoon to Eric Matney who is Techical support for AEV Conversion branch and he told me that my Alternator would hit the steering gear !

I asked the same question to Todd and he thinks it would be ok.

What do you think ?

Hey Chris, welcome the forum.

Having a gander at your drama, seriously mate, I'm just starting down this road so my knowledge is very limited with the swap.

But, and I say but, if I was in your shoes, I'd be weighing up the cost of your motor and if you can move it along with minimal cost, flog it and get a Ram unit. If that's a no go, and you wish to stick with said motor, time to google the arse out of your pooter.

I recall that the LX motor's alt do interfere with the RHD steering box. OK, I wonder if you can use the Ram timing cover to address this problem?

that will put the alt up near the original position, but you need to check if changing the cover will impinge on other components. Like I said, Google!!!

There are ways around problems, just got to think outside the square.

As for oil filter, King Bogan has sorted you out with that one, And thanks KB from me for that also.

Good luck mate!!
post #24 of 136 Old 03-05-2015, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDgasser View Post
Yup...

My first radiator was an aev, lasted a couple years but still sprang a leak... Scrap pile

Called up Todd, told him what I had and what I needed and he fixed me up. Few weeks later and $800 some odd dollars later I was back on the road.

Fast forward about a year, out of fuckin nowhere it starts leaking. Called and no answer and voicemail was full. Sent a PM here and never responded.

I found someone local that built me one, much nicer having something custom built to fit. With an 18 month warranty in writing for a couple hundred bucks less than before with shit warranty.

Just an FYI griffin has one, $750ish with a 2yr warranty, give them a hollar.

And yes... The hemi grin is a beautiful thing!!
Good to see you're all sorted
Funny that you mention Griffin as one of the Hemi boys down here has one and is sick of babying his, as it gets hot when he stomps it!!
Ha ha I could be entering a whole world of hurt with this swap.

But I think the Hemi grin will be worth it
post #25 of 136 Old 03-05-2015, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Here your are Chris, check out post 9 and check out the clearance for a RHD box, looks like it was designed that way.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49201

Please remember that I haven't completed my swap yet, I'm kind of thinking out aloud through the pooter for you

And check out this thread, not a lot of info but RHD
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=102000

Last edited by Rodjk; 03-05-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode