Weather channels on CB? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Weather channels on CB?

I have never had, nor wanted a CB radio before. But since they do seem useful, and used frequently in this hobby, I am going to pull the trigger on one.

My question is, how useful are the CBs with the weather alert features? I can see that feature being useful out here towards the end of summers when the thunderstorms can cause flash flooding miles away from the source and on short notice, but does the feature actually work reliably?

So far, I think I have narrowed down my CB search to the Cobra 29 series. Mainly for the fact that cobra was what my grandpa always used and their reputation still seems to be good. The 29 series has a choice between having the weather alert or a bluetooth feature. If the weather alert works, I will go that route. If not, I will just go for the bluetooth option as I hate the BT headsets and never use them. It would be nice to be able to answer my phone in the car without resorting to the crappy speakerphone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-10-2009, 10:52 PM
Rock God

my weather channels work on my cheap little midland unit...but I haven't tested anywhere but west Texas yet...so your mileage might vary, but I am happy with them...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #3 of 9 Old 05-11-2009, 05:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Weather is cool when you live in an area that has issues. I have a Cobra that turns on automatically when there is an Emergency broadcast even when the radio is turned off.

Then only time it pisses you off is when the storm has passed and you get all the other alerts while your trying to sleep.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Rock God

I have the Cobra 75 and the weather channels came in handy this past weekend in FL.
Could track the storms for my trip back home.

2014 Rubi Unlimited

2008 2dr X SOLD
with some chit on it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 10:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
Weather is cool when you live in an area that has issues. I have a Cobra that turns on automatically when there is an Emergency broadcast even when the radio is turned off.

Then only time it pisses you off is when the storm has passed and you get all the other alerts while your trying to sleep.
Can't remember the model but I had one for my 06 Rubi, latest model that was a full size Cobra w/weather, had it peak/tuned and the leds changed to a diff color, thing was awesome, kicks on even when off and really did it's job as promised for the weather alerts.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Rock God

Garage
Talking Weather

I'm in southern Calf. We don't have weather here!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Rock God

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9584

If you're interested in it let me know. I'll ship it for free.

James

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #8 of 9 Old 05-23-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM Offroad View Post
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9584

If you're interested in it let me know. I'll ship it for free.

James
Thanks for the offer, but I went ahead and bought the WX version a few weeks back. Wishing I would have bought the BT version now. Come to find out, the weather stations do not have any good transmitters for the Mojave Desert...the only region I wanted it for...

09 Silver Unlimited Rubicon
Goodyear MT/Rs 285/70R/17
Poison Spyder BFH
Finishline West Rear bumper
post #9 of 9 Old 05-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
I'm in southern Calf. We don't have weather here!
I know. There it's spelled whether, as in whether or not we'll have an earthquake or fire today.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode