HIDX 4" Lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

HIDX 4" Lights

I installed some of the HIDX 4" lights the other day and I'm real impressed with them.

The 4" units are pretty small, although quiet deep, but were ideal for what I needed for my bumper. If you like low profile lighting the 4" ones are a good choice, if you prefer bigger lights then the 7" ones will be available next month.

The current 4" ones come with an red anodized aluminum trim ring, which for my JK worked out well. 4" units with with black trim rings will be available next month also.

I had already run relay switched wiring for some previous lights, so used that. As they only draw 35w it would be interesting to see if they would run off the factory fog light circuit.

The mounting bracket hardware is stainless and aluminum and very well made, one of the best I've seen on any light.

The beam pattern is great, not sudden cut offs or weird shaped pattern, pretty well diffused and a good overall pattern.

I have mine aimed down slightly as I want the area around me lit up really well, aiming them slightly higher may get you a little more distance.

The pictures do not do justice to how bright these lights are, when you turn them off the factory headlights, (with Silverstar bulbs), look like candles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Here's the light.

Headlight Lo Beam

Headlight Hi Beam

HID & Lo Beam

HID Only
post #3 of 39 Old 05-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Granite Guru

Impressive lighting. What do they cost? Do you know what the 7" units will go for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

post #5 of 39 Old 05-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Openly Hostile

Your jeep is badass Phil. I'll be getting some 7's from you this summer.

Jason
post #6 of 39 Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Rock God

Garage

Those look great. since the lumens rating is the same between the 4" and 7", what does getting the bigger size do for you?

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #7 of 39 Old 05-08-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskin View Post
Those look great. since the lumens rating is the same between the 4" and 7", what does getting the bigger size do for you?
Cooler looks

A bigger reflector and lens will usually result in a larger light pattern and more light.
post #8 of 39 Old 05-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Rock God

/\ As Phill states above. I got the 7" and the light output i got is double what i see in the pic.

JKOutcast Member
post #9 of 39 Old 05-08-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYSUPER View Post
I got the 7" and the light output i got is double what i see in the pic.
The pictures don't do the lights credit, but the 7" will throw more light.
post #10 of 39 Old 05-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Rock God

Im just trying to get my hands on some of the 7" black out covers. If somebody get some and want to sell i buy em.

JKOutcast Member
post #11 of 39 Old 05-11-2009, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYSUPER View Post
Im just trying to get my hands on some of the 7" black out covers. If somebody get some and want to sell i buy em.
They are a month or so away.
post #12 of 39 Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

These are awesome lights for the money

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dsy; 06-09-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: sale is over
post #13 of 39 Old 05-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Hope I dont get slapped for this but anyone that needs the 7" they are still on sale here. I just ordered a set last week.

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/HotDeals.aspx

...or you could wait and support your local offroad shop to help ensure that he sticks around through these poor economic times, and return the favors that he continually does for you by providing support, knowledge and industry specific products. I like that idea better than a world of Walmart, Home Depot and OReillys. ...maybe I'm biased though!

Dave Dorsen [847-410-3750]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*Dealer inquiries welcome*
post #14 of 39 Old 05-12-2009, 04:54 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidX View Post

...or you could wait and support your local offroad shop to help ensure that he sticks around through these poor economic times, and return the favors that he continually does for you by providing support, knowledge and industry specific products. I like that idea better than a world of Walmart, Home Depot and OReillys. ...maybe I'm biased though!
I know, I did'nt feel right about posting the link

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #15 of 39 Old 05-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Rock God

Phil,

Nice photos of the lighting. The rig looks good too.

I need to pick up a set of these. I guess I'll be the guinea pig to see if they work with the stock fog relays.

T
post #16 of 39 Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Granite Guru

Ya, the fog light circuit works, this guy did it.
Sorry to post a link from the shiat forum, hopefully he finds us sooner than later if he's not already here haha
http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=78848

2007 JK, 4.5" RE LA kit, ATLAS4spd, ARB rear w/ Superiors, Rubi front w/RCV axles, 5.38's, 40" KM2's, 18x10 Raceline Beadlocks, 1"BL, Poly Rockers, RR corners, PS fenders, etc...the list goes on.
post #17 of 39 Old 05-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Rock God

damn one thing i hate about the PIAA's that i have is the wiring and the relays

this would be slick to just wire it to the stock fog light wiring

anybody know if the 7 inch ones will work with the sotck fog wiring, or do they draw more power???
post #18 of 39 Old 05-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepik View Post

anybody know if the 7 inch ones will work with the sotck fog wiring, or do they draw more power???
They are both 35 watts.

Jason
post #19 of 39 Old 05-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Rock God

so, are the rules the same for using these on the street as the stock foggers? Those things are bright...but I might be interested later after I get a new bumper...?

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #20 of 39 Old 05-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigtman View Post
Phil,

Nice photos of the lighting. The rig looks good too.

I need to pick up a set of these. I guess I'll be the guinea pig to see if they work with the stock fog relays.

T
Considering they only pull a hair over 3 amps when running, I cant think of a reason why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepik View Post

The internals on the 4" and the 7" are the same... starter, ballast, bulb... Everything except the housing and reflector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
They are both 35 watts.
I havent confirmed this, but have read that a meter was put on them and they were running 43 actual watts. I'm beginning to understand that the wattage rating is a little vague...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
so, are the rules the same for using these on the street as the stock foggers? Those things are bright...but I might be interested later after I get a new bumper...?
You will have to check with your STATE laws on this. I have read all kinds of crazy stories about what is allowed and what isnt. As a precautionary measure, we say they are for offroad use only. The lawyers make me say it!

Dave Dorsen [847-410-3750]

*Dealer inquiries welcome*
post #21 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 04:48 PM
JKO Addict!

I put mine on last week, finally. Thanks Phil for getting them out to me so quick. I like that the pattern doesnt seem to bother oncoming traffic and doesnt allow you to see through the head of the person in front of you

|
|

Last edited by bodyguy; 05-20-2009 at 06:10 PM.
post #22 of 39 Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

I am no electrical expert by any means, but you really do not even need a relay with these lights--- (some may argue)
I have 2 on my JK, but I have 4 of them on 1 20amp switch on my sandrail-- the wires dont even begin to get hot.

Of course, a relay doesnt hurt. But these are really simple to install with just a switch.

---- and take advantage of the great price from Phil!!!

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #23 of 39 Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Rock God

I just installed the 4" lights. As other said, they do work with the factory fog light wiring. It took me about 20 minutes tops. Now I just need to wait for it to get dark and I'll adjust them.
post #24 of 39 Old 05-26-2009, 07:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hey PhilD,

Would the 4" lights be too deep to put on the windshield mount?

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #25 of 39 Old 05-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

Here is a post that discusses the 7" on the windshield. If they fit I imagine that the 4" would fit as well.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...7&postcount=57

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode