check engine light - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

check engine light

does anyone one have any issues with the check engine light coming on for a day or two then go off?

the first time this happened i took it to the dealer and said there is nothing wrong with it. I also checked my turning the keys three time and no error codes came up. this has happened to be three time now and not sure why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I am having the same identical issues. Mine came on for seemingly no reason- went off a few days later....did this 3 times. In the course of that time, I took it to the dealership and they said there was 3 stored codes....not active (idle/ air sensor- and 2 others- can't remember)....scheduled it to be looked at....and the next day- it was back off again...so they decided that they didn't want to look at it unless it came back on.

Dealership said that it was common to cycle like it had 3 times- before the code would clear. .

Last week it came back on a few hours after I had them change the oil. Today I went ahead and put about 40 continuous miles on the Jeep- and when I stopped for gas and turned it off and back on- the MIL was gone again.

Have absolutely no idea what is causing this- but Jeep is running fine. I have not had any "actual" issues. I will let you know if I find out anything at all.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 6 Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

1) I bought a nice code reader from an ebay seller for 50.00, which also allows me to view freeze data, as well as the code.

2) Just curious, did you fill up with the engine running?

But having the actual codes is probably the real key to solving the problems.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Wheeler

Angry

I had the same exact issue with less than 1200 miles on my Jeep. We had gone down to the beach and were wheeling through some seriously deep sand. I had pulled a Chevy 2500HD out and was on my way back to our camp site when the dreaded light came on. It was running just fine, but the light stayed on for two days. On our way home I had stopped to top off the tank, it stayed on... made another stop 45 minutes later and after starting up the Jeep it went away finally. Took it to the stealership and there were no stored codes. No problems since.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post

2) Just curious, did you fill up with the engine running?

But having the actual codes is probably the real key to solving the problems.
I've never filled up with the engine running.

Tried turning the key on/ off 3 times but nothing came up- I guess b/c there was nothing "active"...not sure. I have no doubt that the MIL will come back on.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

You knew where my thinking was.

The nice thing about those code readers is the code doesn't have to be active.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode