LED Installation - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

LED Installation

Hi, First of all let me say hello everyone. Im looking for some help with my LED installation. I bought some LEDs to put in that hook up through the cigarete lighter. How can I wire it so it wont need to be plugged into the the lighter port. Keep in mind, Im a senior in high school, so Im a novice. Thanks for the help in advance.

Here are some pics of what I have right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Not a big deal, hack the plug off of the end, it may have a fuse in the plug, if it does get a small inline fuse holder from radio shack or somewhere and install it on the positive feed. Even if it doesn't have a fuse put one on so it doesnt short, small amp fuse for the lights. Anyway take the positive and hook it up to the positive wire on the back of the cig lighter harnes and the other wire is the ground. Basically the center pin of the plug is positive and the outside is the ground, on the cig lighter the center is positive and the outside is the negative. be sure to try to fuse it, they may take a 5 ot 10 amp fuse at the most but I dout it will be much, the cig lighters are 20 25 amp fused so if the lights short it will probably not be enough to pop the fuse but it will be enough to cause serious issues. Hope this helps, looks good by the way.

A cooler place to tap in for the lights would be the ac control lights that way you can dim them when you want.

A great source of 12v help is ### . the12volt . c o m not sure if you can link here or not. If you need more help let me know I am about to do the same with individual led's, I just got done doing the "blinker mod" the other day, you need to do that as well, and don't forget to think about adding one to the glove box so you can find stuff if you need it at night.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2009, 09:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Oh and hard wire that gps/ipod/ or what ever it is on the dash, eyes are tired sorry, drop the wire at the gap between the dash and windsheild, fuse the positive again and tap it into the pink with white stripe at the ignition switch and ground it somewhere, frame, or the ground location for the led's. That will help clean up the cables.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for that. I got to looking at it, and I think Ill have to take apart the plug. Theres only one wire running from the light to the plug. So I guess the + and - wires are run in there some how. I thought about doing that, but I want to be able to dim them separately. I was told it is a real pain to get LEDs to dim correctly though.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Openly Hostile

Hey rob, you can post direct links to anywhere and anyone you want here, we are not operated by a nazi like the other place.

Also, 12voltguy is actually a sponsor here and makes some awesome stuff.

http://www.12voltguy.com/web/

Jason
post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
not sure if you can link here or not.
feel free to link to anywhere (providing it's not something off the wall, and even then provide a warning) including any vendor, forum or whatever.

this is about giving information, not stymying the flow like you might have experienced at jk-forum
post #7 of 7 Old 04-22-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Where can I find a diagram on how to take the front of that part of the dash off, or the whole dash for that matter. I want to put an LED in each off the AC vents. And how can I do a separate dimmer switch for them(not wiring to the lights that dim on the dash)?

Last edited by Hawkeye; 04-22-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode