Can ARBs be wired up to stock locker switch? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Can ARBs be wired up to stock locker switch?

Has anyone wired up ARB lockers to work with the stock locker switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 10:04 AM
TrailDuty.com

I don't see why you couldn't use the stock locker wiring to control the air activation switches, the sensors most probably wouldn't work, so you'd just have a flashing light on the dash when engaged. Not sure I would do it that way myself. By using new switches you get independent control of the lockers and can use them in any t-case range. I added switches for my factory lockers to get around the limitations of the factory switches.
post #3 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 10:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I've never wired an ARB but I imagine they could be, but you'd probably have to wire to the relays under the hood instead of the switches themselves since the switches are integrated into the canbus (the almighty computer)
BUT if you do that you will have the same limits as stock lockers out of the box - lockers only work in 4 low, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 10:40 AM
JKowners Vendor

ARB and JK stock locker switches...

The ARB solenoids are triggered by the positive side of the conductors. The stock JK lockers are triggered by the negative side of the conductors.
With that being said, yes it can be done using a relay to trigger the negative signal.
However knowing that the JK utilizes a CANBus system you risk causing the computer to generate error codes.
I would keep all accessories separate from the OEM electrics as much as possible to prevent damage to the computers and the CANBus system.
2007 and up Wranglers has implemented what’s known and multiplex wiring or MUX. The reason they did this is to reduce the wire loom sizes for the computer systems.
This system is used to communicate with PCM, HVAC, ABS, etc.

Sorry for getting too wordy with this…but figured better to make you hate me now rather than going into the dealership trying to debug your electrical system and being without your rig for a week or so.
You can do many things electrical with your Jeep…it just takes more thought than the old CJ days!
Keep doing your homework and ask lot's of questions!

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
post #5 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the replies guys.

I just took out my switch panel and disassembled it to check it out. Didn't know it was just a button with contacts going to a PCB. I'd be interested in wiring it directly from the contacts.

I could cover the stock contacts with two new contacts that each have a wire coming out of the switch panel unit. Then each wire could go to the corresponding two contact points of a TJ Rubicon locker switch so I could use the internal logic of that switch, assuming it has internal logic. Then wire to the front and rear ARB lockers from the TJ locker switch. Also, run a wire from the TJ switch back to a new LED behind the JK locker button.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 12:07 PM
TrailDuty.com

I would think it is just a momentary switch, so I doubt it would work. The factory wiring as +12v and - at the two wires going into the locker, just use that and a relay, or as sPod suggested come off the factory relays and trigger a relay.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah, that would be cleaner, but then I'd still be limited in the factory manner. Would be nice if someone came out with a computer mod that took off the restrictions.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Rock God

I personally like it being outside the system. An added switch and it's always available.

You really don't need a relay in the system. Mine's wired to a 20 amp switch and fuse and it's been doing fine for over a year. The current draw for the locker has to be pretty low. The only reason to have a relay would be because the switch couldn't handle the load.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #9 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 05:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
I personally like it being outside the system. An added switch and it's always available.

You really don't need a relay in the system. Mine's wired to a 20 amp switch and fuse and it's been doing fine for over a year. The current draw for the locker has to be pretty low. The only reason to have a relay would be because the switch couldn't handle the load.
Oe if you use switches that illuminate to tell you that they're on

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 06:09 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post

The only reason a relay would be required is if you are using the factory switch and need to trigger a positive source for the ARB locker solenoid.

I agree that a seperate switch would do the trick. At the same time keeping your ARB's seperate from any CANBus circuits.

-John the sPOD guy
post #11 of 21 Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Again not necessary for this application. Your sensor should be wired to a light separately to illuminate when the locker is actuated not when the switch is thrown. Less than 5 amp draw on that side.

post #12 of 21 Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Have any of you guys grounded TIPM pins 41 and 42 from C1 to control the lockers?

post #13 of 21 Old 04-21-2009, 11:08 AM
TrailDuty.com

Doesn't that result in the 4WD light being on all the time? It still doesn't get around being able to just engage the front locker either.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Doesn't that result in the 4WD light being on all the time?
I don't know, that's why I'm wondering if anyone has tried that setup.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
You dont need a relay to illuminate switches. Run your positive and negative and off the ACC run it to GND.

"And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"
post #16 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 04:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
I don't see why you couldn't use the stock locker wiring to control the air activation switches, the sensors most probably wouldn't work, so you'd just have a flashing light on the dash when engaged. Not sure I would do it that way myself. By using new switches you get independent control of the lockers and can use them in any t-case range. I added switches for my factory lockers to get around the limitations of the factory switches.
PhiD: Any pictures of the switches, and further detail on how you did it? Sometimes I'm crawling, sometimes I'm snowing, sometimes ice dancing, sometimes trail riding-would be nice to have independent switches.
thanks

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #17 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 05:24 PM
TrailDuty.com

Here ya go:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2212

The linked pdf shows how to wire it. I prefer the negative way of switching it. If you do it the positive way it is possible to blow a fuse if you use the bypass and factory switch at the same time.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
TrailDuty.com

Here's the switches:

post #19 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Rock God

Here are mine.

This is what it looks like at night.

Wire from battery to 20 amp fuse to switch to one side of locker actuator plug on the diff. Wire from other side of plug to ground.
Then wire from battery to 5 amp fuse to blinking LED (front) to one side of indicator sensor plug on diff. Wire from other side of plug to ground.

Last edited by seer; 04-22-2009 at 07:07 PM.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 PM
JKowners Vendor

ARB adapter...

Totemkopf
We have an adapter harness we designed to work with ARB's system. It illiminates 14 wires coming into your cab.
It plugs diretcly into ARB's harness and connects directly to the sPOD's Source.
The ARB actuators (rockers) can be snapped right in place on our switches which are Carling Tech Contura's.
No modification required to our harness, the Jeeps electrics or ARB's harness.
Install instructions

Switch bezel with 6 switches

Bezel and wire harness with connectors shown

Below is a pic of the Source (our power distribution unit)

The ARB actuators installed on the sPOD switch bezel

The new Source cover

-John the sPOD guy
post #21 of 21 Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Wheeler

Before I installed my dana 60 in the front I had a rubicon front axle. There are four wires to it. one a positive and a negative to trigger the locker the second is just a switch. The switch tells the computer the locker is activated. You could use the positive/negative that activates the locker to trigger the arb relay, then use the same positive to another relay that would act as the switch from the factory locker. this would fool the computer into thinking that the locker had been activated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode