Hellfire HID's by Rebel Off-Road - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 Old 10-17-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hellfire HID's by Rebel Off-Road

Hi everyone! I am Doc’s wife Bev. I don’t post a whole lot because if anything breaks or goes wrong I just have him fix it Not that I am not mechanically skilled, its that he is my husband ,and I have female powers The other benefit of having Doc as my husband is I get to steal his stuff for my JK his rims, his springs, his bumper…hey, he is not using them any more. So when he had this pile of lights taking over my living room I told him I was testing a set. Especially after dragging me out at night to flip a high beam switch in the middle of an abandoned parking lot while he takes measurements, or having me help him with Excell because he is an office software retard or repeatedly stealing my stock headlights to do this project.
So I chose the Hellfire HID kit from Rebel Off-road because it came with pretty stickers Well, it did But it also throws some great light patterns.

It was all nicely packed in a small cardboard box with very simple instructions. Actually the hardest part of the installation was removing the grill. Doc said he would not help me with any of it because he wanted a “novice review” so the threads on here that others wrote came in handy with taking the grill off.

After removing the grill and old headlights I removed the old bulbs and carefully put in the HID bulbs without touching them. Then I ran all the wires though the back. They only plugged in where they were supposed to plug in, so there is only one way and nothing to mess up. Plug the adapter into one of the old headlight sockets and that part is done. I did not take any pictures as it went by pretty quick.

The wiring is basic and not hard to figure out. There is the hot wire that you put on the positive of the battery.

And then the ground that I just used an existing ground bolt for.

I stuck the fuse by the fuse box so if something goes wrong I don’t have to hunt it down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 Old 10-17-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I tucked in the ballasts and zip tied them in place so they would not go anywhere. That was pretty much it and the entire thing took maybe 45 minuets including pictures.

The high and low beam are done by the base of the light moving. Low Beam:

High Beam:

The light is defiantly more blue than the factory headlights but not annoyingly so.

Now Doc told me these are not DOT approved and I understand this….as my Jeep is parked next to his jeep...covered in enough lighting to signal aircraft….on beadlocks… so in my “off-road” testing this is what I noticed.

Holy crap they are BRIGHT! Way more bright than the factory lights. I can actually see where I am going and the “trail edges” are much more defined and any “trail hazard“ is obvious. The pattern is very clean and it does not seem to blind the other “off-roaders” at all. I was surprised because I am used to getting blinded by the purple headlight ricers around here and these do not seem to have that problem.
And in a real off road environment these would be great to see the real trail hazards and see any craters in the horse pasture. The Hellfire kit by Rebel off-road is a significant improvement at a very reasonable cost and I am more than happy with the results.
post #3 of 67 Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM
JKO Addict!

I am not an office software retard I did figure out the graph problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Ok question for you doc. Clear something up for me. Depending upon which day of the week I can ask 5 people and get 6 answers. DOT approval relates to whether it is legally allowed to be used on the road? Or relates to whether it came come from a manufacturer OEM that way? Can you be cited for a piece of equipment on your vehicle not being DOT approved? Thanks bud.

'15 JKUR
post #5 of 67 Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Bev, nice to see you post! Great review! Can we trade Doc for you!? You have a way better sense of humor... Well, you are married to him, you must!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #6 of 67 Old 10-18-2012, 04:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizenjin91 View Post
Ok question for you doc. Clear something up for me. Depending upon which day of the week I can ask 5 people and get 6 answers. DOT approval relates to whether it is legally allowed to be used on the road? Or relates to whether it came come from a manufacturer OEM that way? Can you be cited for a piece of equipment on your vehicle not being DOT approved? Thanks bud.
Not so much legally, but safely. Most tickets will read "unsafe" something or another.

DOT while using SAE guidelines and thier own set regulations for a lot of shit, but lets stick with lights. The guideline say what color goes where, min/max output, acceptable pattern and sometimes material. This is to prevent people from having purple and white brake lights made of tinfoil and melted Jolly Ranchers This is ON ROAD RULES only. off-highway is fair game.

It applies to all factory and aftermarket parts that are controled by that regulations for DOT for on-road use. Its your call if you get approval, for example Delta Tech has both DOT approved and not approved lights for sale.

the cert is issued with a specific combination that was tested. For example a headlight tested with a set size Halogen bulb is given a good to go with THAT Halogen bulb, not any other. Because once you move the bulb or envelope placement you have signifigantly altered the light patterning.

Can you be cited for a piece of equipment on your vehicle not being DOT approved? FAWK YES YOU CAN !! Google search police cracking down on HID conversions in the ricer community.

myself, I have never been ticketed but I do know people who have been for headlights and tinted markers/stops.
post #7 of 67 Old 10-18-2012, 06:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Doc....I think you need to change your title to office software retard

Nice write-up, Bev! Need some pics of the actual light output, though. Drag Doc's ass out there and make him snap some for ya'. Goody and I still need to take comparison pictures between the Trucklite Gen II's he's got and my 35W AC HID Projectors retrofits.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #8 of 67 Old 10-20-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Bev, nice to see you post! Great review! Can we trade Doc for you!? You have a way better sense of humor... Well, you are married to him, you must!
It helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post

Nice write-up, Bev! Need some pics of the actual light output, though. Drag Doc's ass out there and make him snap some for ya'. Goody and I still need to take comparison pictures between the Trucklite Gen II's he's got and my 35W AC HID Projectors retrofits.
We have some pictures of it that are in his article.

I do have to take some of the blame for the spread sheet. I had to do a quickie job setting it up for him and I goofed a little on the commands.
post #9 of 67 Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

I don't know. I'm having a hard time believing that's really Doc's wife. I didn't see one single F-bomb.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #10 of 67 Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Rock God

Short Bus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post

I am about to order projectors- this week. Can you please link or PM some pics of your setup? I cant see Doc's groundshattering lighting chart illustrating that this is a bad purchase- though I am eager to see it!

Soon to be a vendor!!!
Looking for a good Rat Rod JK donor vehicle.
post #11 of 67 Old 10-24-2012, 05:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeucesALLin View Post
I am about to order projectors- this week. Can you please link or PM some pics of your setup? I cant see Doc's groundshattering lighting chart illustrating that this is a bad purchase- though I am eager to see it!
I need to snap some night time shots showing light output, but I can at least send you some of how they look in daylight on my rig. I still have yet to connect my CCFL halos, though. I'll PM you what I have, though.

/thread jack

edit: PM sent. Also, just uploaded a few more I had on my phone showing prper alignment, high beams, and looking at the Jeep at night.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.

Last edited by ShortBus; 10-24-2012 at 06:08 AM.
post #12 of 67 Old 01-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Rock God

Did you have an issue with the passenger side factory headlight harness not securely clicking into the Hellfire wiring? Mine is very loose, and will not click or lock in even with the factory red tab pushed.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #13 of 67 Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopher View Post
Did you have an issue with the passenger side factory headlight harness not securely clicking into the Hellfire wiring? Mine is very loose, and will not click or lock in even with the factory red tab pushed.
Double up on o-rings. Use your OEM also.
post #14 of 67 Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Rock God

I doubled the o-rings for the bulbs into the houing. There aren't any that I noticed for the harnesses, which is where my problem is. From the passenger factory harness to the Hellfire control module.

Last edited by Stopher; 03-03-2013 at 03:36 PM.
post #15 of 67 Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
I doubled the o-rings for the bulbs into the houing. There aren't any that I noticed for the harnesses, which is where my problem I. From the passenger factory harness to the Hellfire control module.
On it
post #16 of 67 Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizenjin91 View Post
I know in MASS the state police sent out a letter to all vehicle inspectors that if an HID conversion is not DOT approved or clearly obvious that it doesn't belong in the vehicle (a soccer mom mini van or 1989 Honda civic ect.) that you can't pass state inspection. I was going to do the Rebel HiD conversion but was more worried about not passing state inspection than being pulled over and cited. I went with the Delta headlights that are also in DOCS write up I'm very happy With them.
post #17 of 67 Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Mine were just like you described. I ended up using a couple of zip ties to hold the connector in to the stock plug. Has worked fine for me so far.
post #18 of 67 Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post
On it
As in you are working on a solution?
Preferably one that doesn't involve zip ties and tape

post #19 of 67 Old 03-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Double up on o-rings. Use your OEM also.
I tried this. Just when I thought it was going to lock in place, the lock ring cracked. Are replacements available? It's the round part with 2 wings to turn from open to lock.

Cheers,
Jason
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Where we're going we don't need roads." -Doc Brown
post #20 of 67 Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE40pt6 View Post
I tried this. Just when I thought it was going to lock in place, the lock ring cracked. Are replacements available? It's the round part with 2 wings to turn from open to lock.
That was a PITA I really thought mine was going to break, but it didn't. Once you get past the headaches of the install you will LOVE these lights.

Last edited by Stopher; 03-04-2013 at 04:23 AM.
post #21 of 67 Old 03-03-2013, 08:08 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE40pt6 View Post
You are covered by our lifetime warranty so no problem. Send an email to [email protected] with your details and we will get parts out right away.
post #22 of 67 Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 AM
Rock God

Quote:
You are covered by our lifetime warranty so no problem. Send an email to [email protected] with your details and we will get parts out right away.
If that's not standing behind your product, I don't know what is! Cheers to Rebel

post #23 of 67 Old 03-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Wheeler

I just picked up my JK one week ago today. I've never been a fan of the HID's in stock housings but after some reviews and Docs Headlight shootout, I might be giving these a look.
post #24 of 67 Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Granite Guru

post #25 of 67 Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode