rear LED lights for rear corners - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

rear LED lights for rear corners

Anyone know of any good LED lights other than the LiteDOT ones?

I just bought some River Raider corners and wanted to see if there are other options besides the $200 LiteDOT ones.

2007 Wrangler X - Jeep Green, 4" lift, 4.88s, locked rear, custom bumper/fender/cage, rolling on 35s w/ 15s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Rock God

Not what you are asking for but I bought the ORO LED lights and they are awesome looking match to the RROR Corners. Just my .02

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks. I am sure I will end up buying them but until then maybe there are other choices.

2007 Wrangler X - Jeep Green, 4" lift, 4.88s, locked rear, custom bumper/fender/cage, rolling on 35s w/ 15s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Granite Guru

I purchased these:

http://www.amazon.com/AutoSmart-KL-2...ed+tail+lights

A lot cheaper than the OROs. I did have to drill a hole to get them to fit.
post #5 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Rock God

http://www.warriorproducts.com/catal...l-tail-lights/

2015 JK Unlimited Anvil
SOLD -2009 JK Unlimited Rubicon Deep Water Blue
1987 YJ Stretched 60/14 40" LTB's
post #6 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 04:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I used to have Truck Lites with my PSC Crusher Corners. Outside of an unimportant electrical gremlin (fast blink using turn signal) they worked great.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #7 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmike74 View Post
I purchased these:

http://www.amazon.com/AutoSmart-KL-2...ed+tail+lights

A lot cheaper than the OROs. I did have to drill a hole to get them to fit.
wow that is a lot cheaper. any pics of them installed?

post #8 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10kingsnake View Post
Not what you are asking for but I bought the ORO LED lights and they are awesome looking match to the RROR Corners. Just my .02
Those are the LiteDOT ones.

post #9 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Rock God

If you drill holes, You can use cheap truck stop LEDS. $12 each. And you can get a replacement anywhere. That's what I did.

POG MO THOIN
post #10 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rballman View Post
wow that is a lot cheaper. any pics of them installed?
never mind, found a pick of yours. Did you black them out yourself?

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback everyone. I am going to pick up some cheap ones.

post #11 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM
JKO Addict!

cut out the back and put in grommets to run regular 4" ones. a LOT of options out there.
post #12 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Kind of a dumb question, but when it lists Stop/Turn/Tail Light, does "tail light" mean reverse?

post #13 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 05:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Kind of a dumb question, but when it lists Stop/Turn/Tail Light, does "tail light" mean reverse?
no.

you will need to run stand alone reverse lights. 99% of 4" round tail lights are stop/turn/marker. In my river raider corners I went and actually frenched in a set of reverse lights, not recomended for novice work Most guys are running a Solstice LED or even Rigid LEDs as a reverse or even just some cheap flood or fogs under the bumper.

ALL are an improvement over the factory ones by a LOT
post #14 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
no.

you will need to run stand alone reverse lights. 99% of 4" round tail lights are stop/turn/marker. In my river raider corners I went and actually frenched in a set of reverse lights, not recomended for novice work Most guys are running a Solstice LED or even Rigid LEDs as a reverse or even just some cheap flood or fogs under the bumper.

ALL are an improvement over the factory ones by a LOT
I wish I could french the reverse light. That is the way to go IMO

post #15 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I wish I could french the reverse light. That is the way to go IMO
Its not "hard", it just requires some work.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...ight=frenching

if I did it again I would use a Solstice or some other round high power LED just so it would require less effort
post #16 of 36 Old 10-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Every set of LiteDots's I've seen have internal wiring problems. LED's that don't work at all and others that work intermittently. And this isn't from being damaged -- just normal driving and trail use.

I'm interested in how you got 3-wire stop/turn LED's to work on a JK. I thought the JK turn/stop was only two wires? I know when I went to wire-up the CHMSL on my license relo bracket I couldn't find a separate wire to the tail light for brakes. Wound up reusing the OEM CHMSL wire from the tailgate.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #17 of 36 Old 10-02-2012, 05:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Every set of LiteDots's I've seen have internal wiring problems. LED's that don't work at all and others that work intermittently. And this isn't from being damaged -- just normal driving and trail use.

I'm interested in how you got 3-wire stop/turn LED's to work on a JK. I thought the JK turn/stop was only two wires? I know when I went to wire-up the CHMSL on my license relo bracket I couldn't find a separate wire to the tail light for brakes. Wound up reusing the OEM CHMSL wire from the tailgate.
I will pop out a light and photo the wiring for you.
post #18 of 36 Old 10-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Granite Guru

I also have the river raider corners and got tired of leds out in the lite dots so I went with the 4" round truck lights. I also cut my rear bumper to put the reverse lights in. It was well worth the effort.

07 Rubi Unlimited , 4.5 clayton longarm, 37" Maxxis treps, AtoZ fabrication, Genright, and Polyperformance
post #19 of 36 Old 10-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

im a big fan of TruckLite leds...my shop converted almost all of our 450 trucks to trucklite leds, our tail light issues have dropped significantly, have very few problems

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #20 of 36 Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
never mind, found a pick of yours. Did you black them out yourself?

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback everyone. I am going to pick up some cheap ones.
Yeah, used spray tint on them. For the reverse lights I used something similar to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Reverse...reverse+lights

I enlarged the holes on the tailgate where the spare tire bump stop thing-a-ma-gigs were and put these in. Not really feasible if you are still going to use your spare tire carrier.

I relocated the license plate to the bumper and used some motorcycle led lights/bolts for the license plate lights...

The wiring wasn't too difficult. Using a test light, I activated the turn signal and brake to find out which wires were which and spliced the new wires into them. I can get you a wiring diagram if needed.
post #21 of 36 Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Yeah, used spray tint on them. For the reverse lights I used something similar to these:

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Reverse...reverse+lights

I enlarged the holes on the tailgate where the spare tire bump stop thing-a-ma-gigs were and put these in. Not really feasible if you are still going to use your spare tire carrier.

I relocated the license plate to the bumper and used some motorcycle led lights/bolts for the license plate lights...

The wiring wasn't too difficult. Using a test light, I activated the turn signal and brake to find out which wires were which and spliced the new wires into them. I can get you a wiring diagram if needed.
sure, a diagram wont hurt! was it easy to find the reverse wires?

what about taking a few LEDs in the trucklites and wiring them up for reverse? sure it wont be bright but then it might be street legal. isnt this how the LightDots work? a few LEDs work as reverse...

anyhow, good input on here.

post #22 of 36 Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
I will pop out a light and photo the wiring for you.
Thanks doc.

[mobile post]

I'm a JKO Reject
post #23 of 36 Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

A diagram would great.

[mobile post]

I'm a JKO Reject
post #24 of 36 Old 10-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by illyb View Post
Those are the LiteDOT ones.
Thanks Captain Obvious. I know that. I was simply telling him in a round about way that they look great. With LED lights you do get what you pay for. Most of this crap is cheap Chinese garbage and having to remove a cheaply made and sealed set of lights involves removing the corners. Not such an easy thing th do after you silicone seal them on the rig. The ORO units are superbly sealed. The others I'd caution about.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
post #25 of 36 Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
A diagram would great.

[mobile post]
Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back with this. I am not at drawing wiring diagrams out but I'll talk through it:

There is a connecting harness between the lights and the body where the wiring harness goes through the body and some of the wires are different color on each side so I will cover both.

On the drivers side there are five wires going into a six prong harness:
1. White with green stripe.
2. White with orange stripe.
3. Black.
4. White with gray stripe.
5. White with yellow stripe.
6. N/A.

Coming out of the six prong harness is four wires. Not sure why there is an extra unused wire, but I am not the electrical engineer here. Following is numbered in relationship with the wires above:
1. White with yellow stripe.
2. White with purple stripe.
3. Black.
4. White with green stripe.
5. N/A.
6. N/A.

For the next step, each wire color will be in relationship with the post side of the connecting harness.
1. White with yellow stripe is for the stop/turn signal.
2. White with purple stripe is for the tail signal.
3. Black is the ground.
4. White with green stripe is for the reverse signal.
5. N/A.
6. N/A.

On the passengers side there are four wires going into a six prong harness:
3. Black.
4. White with green stripe.
5. N/A
6. N/A.

Coming out of the six prong harness is four wires. Following is numbered in relationship with the wires above:
3. Black.
4. White with gray stripe.
5. N/A.
6. N/A.

For the next step, each wire color will be in relationship with the post side of the connecting harness.
1. White with yellow stripe is for the stop/turn signal.
2. White with purple stripe is for the tail signal.
3. Black is the ground.
4. White with gray stripe is for the reverse signal.
5. N/A.
6. N/A.

The cheap taillights have three wires coming out of them and they are etched on the housing for which wire is for what:
1. Black is for the stop/turn signal.
2. Red is for the running signal.
3. Ground is for the ground signal.

Knowing this I just soldered and heat shrunk the appropriate wires together and cut the reverse lights on the outgoing side of the harness so there isn't any wire hanging. For the reverse lights, I backtracked the wire into the bed and that is where I tapped into and ran the new wiring into the tailgate.

Hopefully this is fully understandable. If more assistance is needed, just let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode