No High beams on aftermarket harness - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

No High beams on aftermarket harness

Two different harnesses, and no high beams. Believe the issue is in the stock harness. Is there a fuse solely for the highs?

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Rock God

Headlights are controlled via the TIPM and don't have a seperate fuse

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #3 of 6 Old 10-01-2012, 03:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Unplug the lights and check for applied power at the stock connectors and/or manually apply power to just the light to ensure it works. As mentioned, the TIPM controls them, lights are usually on circuit breakers as well or the current is monitored by a module and cut if excessive.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Bought a h13 bulb and plugged it into the stock harness. Both highs and lows work. Am no convinced that Tom was mostly correct weeks ago when he said the issue was likely that the high beam and ground wire on his harness and the stock one are reversed.

Well actually he said that he thought Jeep might have changed the wiring on the Canadian ones. But will likely check it tonight (unless it looks like it might warm up over the week). HB on the stock harness is the light grey wire. High beam on the HID harness is the blue wire... just need to ensure they meet up and everything should be good.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #5 of 6 Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Wheeler

Any follow up on this? I just installed my hid kit on my 2012 and all my lights shut off when I put the high beams on. Lows and fogs work Fine.

If switching ground worked can u explain excatly what u did to make it work.

Thanks

Adam
post #6 of 6 Old 12-10-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

My drivers side highbeam on the stock harness is messed up. I think when I tried to go from the Hella's (with an aftermarket H4 harness) to the HIDs with their H13 harness, I messed up the passengers side plug when pulling the h4 harness (I remember having to yank on it a bit).

However that doesn't explain why the issue persisted on the drivers side. I got frustrated and ended up pulling the HIDs, after getting great deal on some Cibies, bulbs and an aftermarket H4 harness. I cut up/extended that harness, and ran it off of the drivers side plug on the stock harness. Something I did notice is that the plug on the drivers side seems pretty finicky, and I had to zip tie/tape the harnesses together. However I don't think that was the issue with the HIDs, as the lows were consistently working.

Tom did send me a new harness, however due to the weather I didn't get a chance to test it (-30c sucks to do any work outside). I'm going to wait for this summer, and take another stab at the HIDs. If that works... I'm not sure what I'll do. I guess I'll compare and see what I like better... The HID projectors, or the Cibies and sell the ones I don't use.

One thing I will say... after going from the HIDs to the Cibies, I hate their low beam, or rather the lows on the Cibies are barely acceptable. In fact I don't even remember my Hella's low beams being this bad. However their high beams are fantastic.

Not really sure that helps you though.

Edit. Wiring was the same as the pre 2012s. I had even spliced a wire from the stock wire on the drives side (before the harness) to the wire of the HID setup (so completely avoiding the harness). That didn't help. Something my buddy told me was to make sure I remove some of the paint on the grounds, as that can screw with the connection. So while that might have explained why my drivers side HID was out more often than on, it shouldn't have anything to do with both highbeams being off.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Last edited by Riptide; 12-10-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode