Truck-Lite Gen II LED Headlights - Comparison to stock - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old 09-28-2012, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Truck-Lite Gen II LED Headlights - Comparison to stock

As one of the few knuckleheads selected to test headlights in their JK, I was granted permission to test out Truck-Lites latest and greatest LED headlight.

In the past I have run the Gen I Truck-Lite LEDs, and well, they sucked. So I was curious to see what the change from forward facing LEDs to just two LEDs reflected would do, so far, I'm pretty impressed.

First I'll just comment on the aesthetics of the lights, I know that's not part of the comparison, but it is something that I look at when I see my Jeep. When I think "Wrangler", I think big round headlights, slotted grill, 2 doors :the finger: and square red/white tail lights. Yes, that's stupid, but I do like the more traditional look of my rig. As well as the HID projectors look, I still prefer a reflector housing on a Wrangler, it just looks natural. These look very similar to stock lights from a distance, just "smoked". They look darker due to the LED bar that runs through the middle of the housing, as you can see here.

The other concern I've heard is the low beam only illuminates half of the housing, which is a bit weird...but it does get the job done. Doesn't seem to bother me, because they're cool LED headlights!

So for my lame, "I like the look of headlights" review, these seem to fit the bill for me. They offer a pretty traditional look, with a very good output.

The initial install was very straight forward, I've had my headlights in and out a few times, it was plug and play. There is an O-ring that goes over the lens to tighten up the fit of the stock retaining bezel, no complaints. The harness was a plug-n-play, no complaints. It's a rare occasion, but something did go together on my Jeep without having extra parts or having to dive back in to sort out a problem.

I adjusted the headlights and set out for a few nights/early morning sets of driving and have been pretty impressed with these lights. Over stock, anything is better, but these shine through very nicely. It's a pretty white light that is very easy on the eyes and picks up reflective signs, cars, animal eyes, etc very well. That is something that a halogen isn't any good at.

The road pattern is wide, bright in front of the rig and stretches out nicely. Naturally I have a big stinger shadow in my pattern, but overall they hit the road nice. Much better than the GenI LEDs and stockers I've run. The high beams seem to aim a little high, I'm sure some fine tuning of the setup or perhaps my ass end is squatting enough to make that difference, and I bet that could be ironed out pretty quickly.

Same exposure settings on the camera, as you can see. Pretty drastic results.

Overall the light output is pretty great with these lights. I haven't had a chance to use them in heavy rain, fog, snow, etc, so I cannot comment on how the LED does in those conditions. I also have no idea what these lights retail for, so I can't say if it's "worth the money" or not.

I like 'em.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 09-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Rock God

Thanks, keep the reviews coming. Great improvement!
The stock headlights are about as bright as holding a match outside the window while doing 60mph. Definitely looking at after-market headlights.

2008 JK Rubi on big tires and stuff, RIPP supercharger.
Various dents and scratches.
post #3 of 54 Old 09-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Granite Guru

I believe they retail for around $500 or so. Been trying to get the wife on board to get a set.

Sent from my imagination.

2010 JKU Sahara
Teraflex 2.5 Coil Lift w/ 9550 Shocks
Teraflex Quick Disconnects
Moto Metal 17" 950s
Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17
Superchips Flashpaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 Old 09-28-2012, 05:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTower View Post
I believe they retail for around $500 or so. Been trying to get the wife on board to get a set.

Sent from my imagination.
These were picked up from Quadratec and they have them in stock.
post #5 of 54 Old 09-28-2012, 05:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have these. I like them but they flicker a little bit - they don't play well with Jeep's TIPM.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #6 of 54 Old 09-28-2012, 05:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
I have these. I like them but they flicker a little bit - they don't play well with Jeep's TIPM.
they are not the only headlights that do it. The best solution (and the best from an upgrade standpoint) is to make or buy a standalone harness with capacitors using the factory plugs to trip relays.
post #7 of 54 Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

In haven't noticed any flicker with these. I've looked for it too

Sent via paper airplane

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 54 Old 09-28-2012, 06:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

How come the cebie's weren't included in the testing? I'd like to see what may be a better option than what I have.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #9 of 54 Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

This really isn't the thread for that. I'm sure doc has done all the work he ever wanted to trying to setup the comparison using some cash out of his own pocket and lots of time.

Sent via paper airplane

post #10 of 54 Old 10-01-2012, 05:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Having seen this in person, I can attest to Goody's review. They do light up very well and for a pretty good distance. I'm personally not a huge fan of the split low/high look, but they do indeed get the job done. Compared them side by side with my HID Projectors 35W AC w/ 6000k bulbs and they're very close. I think the projectors might win in distance, but not by much. If LED's are your thing, these would certianly be the ones to buy.

Great write-up!

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #11 of 54 Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

We need to meet up again [tomorrow night?] over off fishtrap or something where i took the other pics.

post #12 of 54 Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
We need to meet up again [tomorrow night?] over off fishtrap or something where i took the other pics.
I can do that, yeah. Comparison pics would probably be a good idea. We'll use your camera for consistancy.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #13 of 54 Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Hey Goody, I've got a question for you:

In these pictures are you running high or low beams? If its the high beams could you take a low beam shot too? I'm really liking these lights but 99% of the time I'm in low beam so it does make a difference. Thanks!

post #14 of 54 Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
Hey Goody, I've got a question for you:

In these pictures are you running high or low beams? If its the high beams could you take a low beam shot too? I'm really liking these lights but 99% of the time I'm in low beam so it does make a difference. Thanks!

The image represents

|Low Beam Stock || Low Beam Trucklite |

post #15 of 54 Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
The image represents

|Low Beam Stock || Low Beam Trucklite |
That's low beam output? Holy Sheep! Oh yeah!

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sold.

post #16 of 54 Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Granite Guru

I would really love to see these compared to the JW Speakers.
post #17 of 54 Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosurbuddiee View Post
I would really love to see these compared to the JW Speakers.
The official "headlight shootout" will compare a number of headlights. Doc is doing the official writeup - this will be an awesome article!

w:
e:
p: 716.662.3479

IG:

post #18 of 54 Old 10-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Agreed! Looking forward to the Doc thread.

Great write up, Goody... I am very impressed with your photos.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
post #19 of 54 Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks, I think we should try to get everyone else involved to do the side-by-side photos. It's too hard to scroll up/down to see some peoples images and truly compare.

post #20 of 54 Old 10-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nice write up and photo comparison

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #21 of 54 Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Thanks, I think we should try to get everyone else involved to do the side-by-side photos. It's too hard to scroll up/down to see some peoples images and truly compare.
I would, but there isn't much to compare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #22 of 54 Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I would, but there isn't much to compare...
Complainer.

Drove for 60 miles tonight on the lonely side of I-35, these lights kick out a very nice and wide pattern. Awesome set of lights.

post #23 of 54 Old 10-10-2012, 09:21 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Excellent photos Goody. I believe I'm going to need a set of these things. I love the way they look and the performance is excellent based on your photos.

Are you getting flashed a lot at night? Did you with your stock lights? It doesn't appear that you pointed them down after leveling the Jeep out, which I don't worry with either.

Marcus

post #24 of 54 Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
In haven't noticed any flicker with these. I've looked for it too

Sent via paper airplane

I've noticed it a little bit with mine while idling at a traffic light and the lights reflecting off he back of the car in front of me. My understanding is it is tied to PWM in the electrical system. Remedy/possible remedy is running rally lights harness (or similar) which is triggered off the factory harness but powered off of the battery.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #25 of 54 Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Maybe ill eventually be able to decide between these and the HID's...it's gonna be a tough choice though...but I guess either will be better than the Deltas I have now.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode