Cb antenna bracket - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 09-28-2012, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cb antenna bracket

So after doing some research, I decided I felt the best location for my cb antennae on the rear of my jeep is probably the license pate. My issue is I can't see myself shelling out $90 for a piece of stainless angle iron. Anyone have any ideas how to fab a decent bracket for back there?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

BAREFOOT. The "REAL" way to drive a Jeep!!

*******KEEP CALM & CHIVE ON!!!*******
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Spartan View Post
So after doing some research, I decided I felt the best location for my cb antennae on the rear of my jeep is probably the license pate. My issue is I can't see myself shelling out $90 for a piece of stainless angle iron. Anyone have any ideas how to fab a decent bracket for back there?

Did you end up fabricating a bracket?
I've been considering the same thing.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-16-2012, 01:02 PM

bought my whole set up on quadratec wasn't much money if i remember it was around 100 bucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Granite Guru

If you run a stock tire carrier, just bolt a piece of angle aluminum on top of it. a 1 foot piece of 1/4" x1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle will do nicely. Cheap and easy. You don't need stainless.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #5 of 19 Old 10-21-2012, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I actually have the teraflex cb bracket that hooks to the tire carrier. Only problem is I can't run with my rear window own (I only have a hard top) because the antenna is in the way. That's why I wanna relocate it to the license plate mount.

post #6 of 19 Old 10-21-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I actually have the teraflex cb bracket that hooks to the tire carrier. Only problem is I can't run with my rear window own (I only have a hard top) because the antenna is in the way. That's why I wanna relocate it to the license plate mount.

I have the same problem so I thought it would be justified to buy a soft top for summer time
post #7 of 19 Old 10-21-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm working on that option myself lol

post #8 of 19 Old 10-21-2012, 11:59 AM

If not pick up a small piece of angle iron and prime it then bed line it or use the engine block paint "enamel" whatever. it will work fine
post #9 of 19 Old 10-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

This works great!!

http://www.americanoutlawjeepparts.c...b-antenna.html

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepsRide View Post
Yeah but is that mountable anywhere or just that location his issue is when he has the glass open the antenna is in the way and won't allow him to close the gate I have the same issue but usually I just unscrew it

Last edited by xxxxxxxEast Coast Surf; 10-22-2012 at 11:51 AM.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Rock God

We have one that we are getting ready to release. It is going to be kind of a builders part too where you can use it as a mounting point to connect a rear tire carrier to the gate so they swing together. I would imagine we will have it added to our website in the next week or so.

Keep an eye on www.CarolinaMetalMasters.com

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Surf View Post
Yeah but is that mountable anywhere or just that location his issue is when he has the glass open the antenna is in the way and won't allow him to close the gate I have the same issue but usually I just unscrew it
Do not mean to be flippant however it is mounted to the door, you have to open the door to open the glass. If you want to keep the glass open and ride with it open and the door closed you have an issue. However that is every bracket behind the glass. You will have to mount it to the license plate bracket

I think that is what you mean?

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.

Last edited by StepsRide; 10-22-2012 at 04:33 PM.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepsRide View Post
Do not mean to be flippant however it is mounted to the door, you have to open the door to open the glass. If you want to keep the glass open and ride with it open and the door closed you have an issue. However that is every bracket behind the glass. You will have to mount it to the license plate bracket

I think that is what you mean?
Yes exactly my bad thanks for clarifying it. Three options move it to the license plate or another location. Unscrew it when you want to ride with the back window open or buy a soft top for summer use .
post #14 of 19 Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeah I just I could just take out off every time...fml

post #15 of 19 Old 02-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Hey guys,

Last October I made a simple antenna bracket for my licence plate holder.

Parts:
  1. 1 Flat piece of steel
  2. 1 Rubber grommet
  3. 1 CB antenna mount
  4. 1 Can of black spraypaint

I cut 4 pieces of steel that would fit inside the licence plate holder. I used these 4 pieces to sandwich the plastic plate holder to try and alleviate stress to the plastic.

I cut a 5th piece of steel that would vertically connect the other pieces to the one bolt that holds the licence plate holder to the body panel. I bent this piece to follow the contour of the plate holder.

I used the antenna mount as a guide to drill holes in the 5 pieces of steel and through the plastic plate holder. I painted the steel black to avoid rust and match the plate holder. I also drilled a hole in the bottom of the plate holder to allow the wires to enter. I placed the grommet around the plastic to protect the wires (+ it looks better).

I used some small washers in between the mount and the outside plates because the plate holder is curved; therefore the two pieces of steel are not really on the same plane. I can take a close pic if anyone is interested.

I used the hardware from the antenna mount.
I have had this running for 4 months now and it appears fine. I've run a full whip and a 4' firefly and have had no problems. This thing is solid.

post #16 of 19 Old 02-28-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Re: Cb antenna bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidychi View Post
Hey guys,

Last October I made a simple antenna bracket for my licence plate holder.

Parts:
  1. 1 Flat piece of steel
  2. 1 Rubber grommet
  3. 1 CB antenna mount
  4. 1 Can of black spraypaint

I cut 4 pieces of steel that would fit inside the licence plate holder. I used these 4 pieces to sandwich the plastic plate holder to try and alleviate stress to the plastic.

I cut a 5th piece of steel that would vertically connect the other pieces to the one bolt that holds the licence plate holder to the body panel. I bent this piece to follow the contour of the plate holder.

I used the antenna mount as a guide to drill holes in the 5 pieces of steel and through the plastic plate holder. I painted the steel black to avoid rust and match the plate holder. I also drilled a hole in the bottom of the plate holder to allow the wires to enter. I placed the grommet around the plastic to protect the wires (+ it looks better).

I used some small washers in between the mount and the outside plates because the plate holder is curved; therefore the two pieces of steel are not really on the same plane. I can take a close pic if anyone is interested.

I used the hardware from the antenna mount.
I have had this running for 4 months now and it appears fine. I've run a full whip and a 4' firefly and have had no problems. This thing is solid.

Great work! I may give this idea a shot

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy IIIs

post #17 of 19 Old 02-28-2013, 08:37 PM

Re: Cb antenna bracket

Quote:
Great work! I may give this idea a shot

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy IIIs
Thanks!
You can find the directions for installing the $90 bracket online and use them as a guide. I found them useful.
post #18 of 19 Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to DaCrazyRN

I used this one to mount to the license plate
Firestik MKM2 Mount

Tracy E /

“When you do things RIGHT, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all.” God in Godfellas-Futurama
Life is Risk Management
post #19 of 19 Old 03-02-2013, 02:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCrazyRN View Post
I used this one to mount to the license plate
Firestik MKM2 Mount
I see two potential problems you could encounter with that.

First is lack of a ground. This mount is intended to be mounted to a metal surface grounded to the chassis. If you haven't connected a ground strap from the chassis to one of the screws on the mount you probably are not getting good SWR or radio performance.

The second is the strength of the license plate frame itself, which is made of plastic. Unless you add some metal for additional strength, as chidychi did, the plastic will stress and eventually break.

A better solution IMO would be to use the same mount you show but actually mount it to the tub, with a piece of steel or aluminum stock inside the tub to provide additional strength.

In my case I'd have a third concern, and that is how the license plate bracket itself sticks-out past the side of the Jeep. I've had rocks and trees reach out and grab my license plate on several occasions. I gave up trying to duct tape and JB Weld the thing back together and just moved it to my spare tire.

I solved the rear window interference problem by taking my Teraflex antenna mount and bolting it to the lower-right corner of my swing-out tire carrier. Obviously this would be a more expensive solution if you don't already have a swing-out tire carrier.

I'm a JKO Reject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode