HIDprojectors install and review - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 09-24-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
HIDprojectors install and review

EDIT!!!!! Well i guess webshots decided to change their format and i didnt log in in time to have my pictures transfered over to the new site so there all gone and i didnt save them on my computer or camera and hidprojectors wanted these test lights back so if you have any questions regarding install PM me and ill try to help the best i can. Sorry.
NEW EDIT!!!! i found the pic in my recycle bin, ill get them hosted again asap

Due to some cosmic stuff or maybe because the world is ending in december i was chosen (among some other fine members of this community) to do a "real world" test of some lighting choices for the JK. I picked the HIDprojectors setup for the JK. This write-up will show you how to install these from start to finish and in a few days include some pics of these vs stock headlights. HIDprojectors offers quite a few options of there system, including ballasts, bulb temp,painted housings,angel eyes, and led halos. My kit was the pre-assembled ones, you dont have to take your stock housings apart.

Heres what i recieved

The install is very easy you only need a few hand tools.
To start you need to remove your grill.
Remove the plastic screw clip things, i just pryed them out as unscrewing them didnt work.

next you just pull the grill off, there are a few clips along the bottom of the grill, then you take out the parking light bulbs, they just twist out of the housings. you can them remove the grill from the jeep and you end up with this

Next you need to remove the chrome ring that holds in the stock housing.
There are 4 torx screws holding the ring on, after the ring is removed you can pull out the housing.

To unplug the oem bulb there is a red tab you must slide out to be able to press the button on the harness to unplug it
heres the tab in the locked position

heres the tab in the unlocked position

After you unplugs the oem light you can remove the housing. After you remove the housing you remove the ring from the stock housing.

After you remove both housings your jeep should look like this

Now you get to start adding the new stuff.
First off you need to wire the lights, electrical noobs have no fear this is very easy and almost impossible to mess up.
First step is to connect the supplied harness to + terminal on your battery, the red ring terminal is the + one.

next there are 2 ground terminals one for each headlight harness. Just make sure there is no paint where the terminal is bolted to the body.
You can use a existing bolt (as i did) or make your own ground with a self tapping screw.

next is sorting out the wiring for each side. It is very easy as everything has matching plugs and cannot be plugged in wrong. You only need to plug in the HID harness to one of the factory headlight plugs.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2

Last edited by BeerMonkeY; 02-23-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 09-24-2012, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

After you plug in the one headlight plug to the HID harness you connect the rest of the peices
The HID harness plugs into the can bus canceller (these get rid of any flickering cause by the canbus system freaking out)
The canbus canceller them plug into the ballast, the other plugs on the ballast plug into the new hid projector.
this pic is of the drivers side harness (were still on the passenger side)

Now you need to get the HID blub harness into the headlight opening, you will see a small 2 wire plug that is not coming off the balast, this is the high beam plug.
Here it is circled

Next you need to run the wire over to the drivers side for that harness, heres how i ran mine.

I also taped up the unused drivers side factory headlight plug

You can make your own choice on where to put all the modules, heres where i put the ballast for the driver side, i put the other peice ubder the ballast

heres where i put the passenger side stuff

You will need to ground that harness as well, i just used the factory ground bolt on the drivers side fender (sorry no pic)
Then you get the wires out the headlight opening

Now you get to install the new housings.
Gather the light and the trim ring, plug in the 2 plugs for the projector and the smaller highbeam plug.
Now put the new housing in the bucket on the jeep
the new housings (like the orginal ones) have locating tabs that keep the lights where they should be

next put the trim ring over the light, Pay attention cause it only goes on one way.

Install both sides the same way, youy should end up with this

before i put the grill back on i checked they worked on high and low beam, all was good so the grill went back on the same it came off, just reverse

Stay tuned for comparison pics with oem headlights and my review on how they perform.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2

Last edited by BeerMonkeY; 09-24-2012 at 09:32 AM.
post #3 of 52 Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ok here are some nite shots alongside a stock headlight equipped 09. they were about 4 feet apart in the shots, my jeep is lifted 2" but was wearing the stock tires, his jeep is not lifted but had larger tires so headlight height should be almost the same. i aimed my lights myself i though they were a bit high but i dont get highbeamed at nite so i think there good.
now that i see the pics on a larger screen im not completly happy with them (the pics not the lights) i will try to get better ones asap
here are low beam side by side

HIDprojectors on low beam

oem headlights on low beam

HIDprojectors on high beam

oem headlights on highbeam

this is someone standing about 85 yards in the highbeams
HIDprojectors

oem highbeams

'92 YJ
'13 WK2

Last edited by BeerMonkeY; 10-04-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

here is a few shots on a road
HIDprojectors on low beam

oem on low beam

HIDprojectors on highbeam

oem on highbeam

'92 YJ
'13 WK2

Last edited by BeerMonkeY; 10-04-2012 at 06:23 PM.
post #5 of 52 Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here is my unbiased opinion on these lights
Install... very easy, i am a do it myself kinda guy as long as i have the tools to do it and i think even someone without a large tool collection or know how could do these (now i didnt assemble the projectors into the housings so this is not about that) the only odd tool that someone may not have it the torx needed to remove the lights and aim them but its a cheap tool to buy

performance... these lights blow the oem out of the water, the light is a bright white compaired to the yellow oem, you dont really think the oem are that yellow untill you see these. they dont really go further than the oem lights on highbeam but they light everything way better. the only odd thing that takes a little to get used to is the sharp cutoff on lowbeam but it doesnt take that long to get used to it. These lights seem to make things so much clearer at night. its really is (get ready for it) a night and day difference. i would recommend thses lights to anyone looking to upgrade from the crappy oem lights

problems/concerens
the passenger light has started to get some condensation inside of it but the weather here has been wack lately, 40's and 50's at night and 70's in the day. i know the lights have 2 breathers in them are sometimes covered with tape, i will check to see if the holes are covered and update this post

'92 YJ
'13 WK2

Last edited by BeerMonkeY; 10-04-2012 at 06:45 PM.
post #6 of 52 Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Just for note: the "CANBUS" is not what causes the flicker, the flicker is in simple terms a combination of a pulsed current to determine if you have a headlight out combined with its speed being dictated/tied into voltage.

or in simpler terms: Your JK electrical system can and will piss you off....sometimes

also, HID's hate flicker, its not good for them at all.
post #7 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good write-up, man. But you forgot the part where you install the bulbs into the housings. I'm sure most of us can figure that part out, but there's always one.

Tom should probably include the pics of how the harness goes together in his instructions. Took me a little bit to figure it out myself, but I can sometimes be electrically stupid, so that's not saying much.

Interested in seeing your comparison shots.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #8 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Wheeler

I just installed these yesterday..

I had cibie e codes and these are an improvement in output and color. The cutoff is amazing any the spread of light is a huge plus. The one thing that I noticed is the drivers side light output is a touch less than the passenger, the color almost seems off?? Not sure if these have to "burn in" to get closer to match each other.,,?

As far as the back of the housing and inserting the bulb, yes it's pretty cut and dry but,, how the heck do you get the rubber dust cap to sit firmly against the back of the housing?
post #9 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dntouch View Post

I had cibie e codes and these are an improvement in output and color. The cutoff is amazing any the spread of light is a huge plus. The one thing that I noticed is the drivers side light output is a touch less than the passenger, the color almost seems off?? Not sure if these have to "burn in" to get closer to match each other.,,?

As far as the back of the housing and inserting the bulb, yes it's pretty cut and dry but,, how the heck do you get the rubber dust cap to sit firmly against the back of the housing?
The simple answer? You don't. The solution others have used is silicone.

post #10 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
The simple answer? You don't. The solution others have used is silicone.
I tried some black rtv because it was easily grabbed without digging, and maybe with time it would have been fine but I found that I kinda ran out of time..

I might pull these out again this weekend and make some adjustments to the bucket because of how it sits. I know it's not going anywhere but I'd feel better trimming some plastic to have it sit better into the bucket..
post #11 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 12:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Good write-up, man. But you forgot the part where you install the bulbs into the housings. I'm sure most of us can figure that part out, but there's always one. .

I already pre-installed them for him, I wanted to be safe
post #12 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
Well wasn't that nice of ya'

post #13 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 01:21 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Good write-up, man. But you forgot the part where you install the bulbs into the housings. I'm sure most of us can figure that part out, but there's always one.

Tom should probably include the pics of how the harness goes together in his instructions. Took me a little bit to figure it out myself, but I can sometimes be electrically stupid, so that's not saying much.

Interested in seeing your comparison shots.
Great write up so far! Interested people can also see my thread (link in my sig) for even more options. Shrouds, colors, paint, LEDs, CCFLs, etc! Every set is custom built by me to the buyers specs.

ShortBus, how's this pic? Not my pic but it does a good job of showing what goes where.

w:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
e:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
p: 716.662.3479

IG:

post #14 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 02:08 PM
JKowners Vendor

Nice writup! We are just wanting to pick a set up for our JK! All these threads dont help either...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #15 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 02:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Well wasn't that nice of ya'
I am that kind of guy
post #16 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
well thanks for the vote of confidence.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #17 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
well thanks for the vote of confidence.
Its not like I had a choice, all the factory boxes were toast from standing in the rain trying to test lights it was the safest way to ship them.
post #18 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 06:45 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
You should have preinstalled those crappy Expel protectors while you were on a roll!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #19 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Wheeler

Quote:

I noticed my drivers side being a bit dimmer/ off in color as well. I thought it might have been the ballast but since you have the same problem maybe it has something to do with the harness. Maybe limiting the current to the far side.

The difference in output from the stock headlights is like night and day though. Took a bit to get mine aimed properly (I'm a perfectionist) in the end it was definitely worth it. The light spread is very even. I get so many compliments on how they look from people. Night time driving is much more enjoyable now that I can actually see.
post #20 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
You should have preinstalled those crappy Expel protectors while you were on a roll!
you just suck I sat here and installed one one while watching TV with no heat gun. You just have to not be in a rush and work it down slowly
post #21 of 52 Old 09-26-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i havent put them on yet. not excited from the sound of how it goes

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #22 of 52 Old 09-27-2012, 04:38 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:

Can you send me some pics of this? I'll take a look - [email protected]

HID bulbs get their color based on a few chemical reactions within the glass bulb - most of this is due to the type and amount of salt that is inside the bulb (I can go into more detail if you'd like). Furthermore, there is a prism effect on the light output that is discernible by the naked eye so if you look at your lights in one direction they may take on a different color than if you looked at them from another direction (straight on vs off to the side, etc). In short, the color should not be off by a noticeable amount when looking straight on. Either way, if it bugs you, send me some pics and we'll see what we can do to get it straightened out for ya.

w:
e:
p: 716.662.3479

IG:

post #23 of 52 Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
We are just wanting to pick a set up for our JK! All these threads dont help either...

-Jason
I hear ya. I've finally had it with the crappy DDM kit(But I love me some HID light output) in my JK (did the resistor/cap mods) and its starting to act up again.

As soon as I get the rig back from the shop, it's new headlight time.
post #24 of 52 Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman692 View Post
I noticed my drivers side being a bit dimmer/ off in color as well. I thought it might have been the ballast but since you have the same problem maybe it has something to do with the harness. Maybe limiting the current to the far side.
I doubt it has anything to do with the current. HIDs use very little (~3-5 amps depending on wattage). More than likely has something to do with the bulb - at least that would be my first guess.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #25 of 52 Old 09-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I doubt it has anything to do with the current. HIDs use very little (~3-5 amps depending on wattage). More than likely has something to do with the bulb - at least that would be my first guess.
I thought it might have been a grounding issue but it made no difference..

Its not that bad to where i think i would need a different bulb. If it changes for the worse i will let you know ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode