Replacing a stock headlight bulb - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Replacing a stock headlight bulb

It's pretty fuckin easy and if you can't do it, you're dumb.

Last edited by Dancin Dan; 06-18-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Looks pretty slick and easy, Dan. Only question I have is: what happens if you have a winch?

RK 2.5" Flex - Body Armor Front Bumper - Superwinch 8500 lb - Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights and Diffused Reverse Light - G2 Gear & Axle Diff Covers - Dynomax Exhaust - Drake Off-Road Billet Knobs - Oliver's Driveshafts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
Coming to JKO to get educated on politics is like a marathoner watching the Special Olympics to get technique pointers.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimbillyOSU View Post
Looks pretty slick and easy, Dan. Only question I have is: what happens if you have a winch?
Depending on how much room you have between the winch and your grill you will likely need to remove the winch to get the grill off.

I know before I had my winch mounted inside my bumper I had to pull it off to get the grill off to paint it. I only had 1/4 inch of clearance and probably could have gotten by if I had a full inch, not really sure though.

Great write up btw Dan. I'm sure it will come in handy for a few people.

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:

I would imagine you'd have to remove it. If you look at the full frontal shot above, you'll see my lightbar in front of the passenger tire. Had to pull it to gain enough clearance for grille removal. I would imagine it would be the same deal for those who have a winch as well.

post #5 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
I would imagine you'd have to remove it. If you look at the full frontal shot above, you'll see my lightbar in front of the passenger tire. Had to pull it to gain enough clearance for grille removal. I would imagine it would be the same deal for those who have a winch as well.
I really don't want to see your "full frontal"

But yeah, I gotcha. Awesome writeup.

RK 2.5" Flex - Body Armor Front Bumper - Superwinch 8500 lb - Rigid Industries Dually Flood Lights and Diffused Reverse Light - G2 Gear & Axle Diff Covers - Dynomax Exhaust - Drake Off-Road Billet Knobs - Oliver's Driveshafts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
Coming to JKO to get educated on politics is like a marathoner watching the Special Olympics to get technique pointers.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
You don't actually have to remove the grill. While I've removed mine on occasion, I've frequently just popped the top clips and leaned it forward. This gave me more than enough room to pull the headlights.

Although I'm doing this on a stock JK. I think I would have still had room on my 07 JK which had a winch on a Warn bumper.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #7 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 07:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
loosen the PS res and find someone with small hands
post #8 of 15 Old 09-25-2012, 04:48 AM
Rock God

yea as soon as I finished installing my winch the first thing I thought of was having to remove it all to do headlights

I am not looking forward to pulling the bumper off to install new lights, but gonna have to.
(cant get winch off without removing the bumper)
post #9 of 15 Old 09-25-2012, 04:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod17 View Post
yea as soon as I finished installing my winch the first thing I thought of was having to remove it all to do headlights

I am not looking forward to pulling the bumper off to install new lights, but gonna have to.
(cant get winch off without removing the bumper)
I removed my headlights without removing my grille, my BFH and winch won't let the grille out. It's possible.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I removed my headlights without removing my grille, my BFH and winch won't let the grille out. It's possible.
Well whatever you do, you just keep the how to on that one to yourself.

Cant have these people runnin around JKO learning stuff

post #11 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Dan, if you twist the turn signal housings they come out of the grill. Much easier IMO than unclipping the connectors.

If you have a winch installed you do need about 3/4-inch clearance between the winch and the grill in order to get the clips to disengage, then you can pull the grill straight up and the clips will bend slightly and come out of the slots. Getting them back into place requires a little persuasion with a large, slotted screwdriver.

If you don't have 3/4" of clearance you can just cut the two middle clips and center positioning nub off the bottom of the grill. There are still two clips outboard of where the winch interferes, which (with the plastic rivets on top) should hold the grill in place. Just pull out the two lower corners and slide the entire grill up and out.

That might even work for Goody if you've got enough clearance behind your hoop to pull the lower corners and the slide the grill upwards.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #12 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
As stated.. it's possible with a little working the angles. Not a big deal at all - I am sure that some are tougher to get out than others. I am running a Big Ass powerplant on a BFH bumper and can get it removed easy enough.

post #13 of 15 Old 09-28-2012, 08:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

...and nice work Dan-O!!!
post #14 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 07:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
was looking at it tonight. looks like you could almost do it from the engine bay. If you remove the air filter for pass side. The driver side may be tough with the horn in the way....

how did you?

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #15 of 15 Old 12-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Rock God

did mine today without removing winch/bumper.

I was able to get it loose enough to fit a short T15 driver in and remove it all. easy enough.

Put in the Phillips Xtreme + 80

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode