Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs - Headlight Shootout 2012! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs - Headlight Shootout 2012!

Okay guys, got the goods in the mail today and like any Jeep addict, I had to get this shit on like Donkey Kong! Here is what I received and set up...

Fresh Victims I have been hording for another project.

Headlight bulbs - Standard Silverstar replacement bulbs.

Expel Headlight Protector.

Had to notch the protector to make install easier.

Bulb comparison before installation into assembly. You can see the tint they have in the glass to give it that 4300K wannabe look.

Installed.

Expel Protectors completely installed.

A little note on the Expel product. I am really not super impressed with this product so far after install. Maybe it's just the mil size of the plastic they produce them in, but man, they were a pain in the butt to install and so far look like garbage. There is a footnote in the installation instructions that warns of milky spots and that it will go away within two weeks. If it does, cool, still looks like crap to me. I followed the instructions to a tee and used the 1:4 alcohol and the supplied squeegie along with a blow dryer. Took my time too. If the haze and milky spots took more than two weeks those things would get peeled. Just my initial feeling about them. If they are reasonably priced, they may be worth the appearance sacrifice, otherwise, I wouldn't use them.

More to come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 09-21-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-21-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Okay, so I installed them and did some static low beam to wall shots at 25 feet just to show color difference and beam.

Static shot of stocks before leaving for test location.

Static shot at test location - Factory Aim - 25 feet - ISO:560 - Exp:1/10 - Metering: Pattern - F/3.1

Static shot - Right:Silverstar - Left: Factory - Factory Aim - 25 feet - ISO: 800 - Exp 1/6 - Metering: Pattern - F/3.1

Just eyeballing the lights you can see a minor difference in perceived output. Silverstar on passenger side.

And this picture illustrates that a little better. Silverstar on passenger side.

Full Silverstar install - Factory Aim - 25 feet - ISO: 800 - Exp 1/6 - Metering: Pattern - F/3.1

Dark road on low beams - ISO: 800 - Exp .77 - Metering: Pattern - F/3.1

Dark road on high beams - ISO: 800 - Exp 1.0 - Metering: Pattern - F/3.1

So far the initial feeling I get is that this would be a marginal upgrade to stock and not much improvement over stock if you were doing this simply as an upgrade. If you had a factory bulb burn out and these were available, perhaps a worthy purchase. However, not Earth shattering results so far...

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 09-21-2012 at 09:31 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Just to prove a point on how little output the stock housings and any halogen bulb would perform, here is a few thousand lumens of LED to make the Silverstar bulbs wimper a little.

Silverstar low beams with Rigid D1 Spots

Silverstar low beams with Rigid D1 Spots and Rigid 10" SR Combo bar

Silverstar low beams with 10" SR Combo at distance.

Silverstar low beams with 10" SR Combo and D1's at distance.

Gratuitous lighting shot.

So for now I will drive with them for the 10 day period and add to this with my place holders below.

Quote:

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 09-21-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-21-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Day by day review section.

Day 2 - Expel headlight protectors are starting to lose the weird milky, vein like imperfections that happened when they were being installed. Still think they look weird with the pie shaped pieces cut out of them. Will take some daylight pictures tomorrow to show some of this. I won't get to drive the Jeep much this weekend due to being on call at work, but during the week and next weekend I should see more time with them.

Day 3 - Expel protectors still full of tiny little bubbles and look like crapola. No night driving took place.

Day 4 - "Same as above"

Day 5 - Took a drive to Target, the sentiment felt when I turned on my headlights in the garage and started driving was " Wow, they look just like headlights... " No real impact observed after not seeing them for a few days. The light output upgrade is so minor that i'm not even sure i'd purchase them now. I almost did before this write up and comparison. One thing to note was a weird pattern "hole" center, bottom, off to left. A literal hole in the light that wasn't there before probably due to bulb clocking and filament postion. It's kind of annoying because it keeps catching my eye while driving.

Day 6 - Worked too late to go anywhere.

Day 7 - Small trip to the store. Expel protection starting to lose the tiny bubbles and haze. Lights aren't blowing me away, however, didn't expect them to when I started this review.

Day 8, 9, and 10. A few evening errands, same outcome as listed above.

Quote:

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 10-05-2012 at 03:16 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-21-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Well, it has actually been 15 days since I installed the Expel protectors and the Silverstar bulbs. Overall, I am not underwhelmed, nor overwhelmed. These are just a slightly better replacement bulb at the end of the day. The protectors would be a nice addition to a new set of high end lights or even factory housings if you wanted to keep them clean and free of rock chips. Overall for a standard replacement bulb I give them a 10 because they do change the color of the light slightly giving it a more crisp look. Otherwise, if you expected H.I.D. performance out of these, you would be very disappointed.

One to ten scale of overall feeling about bulbs.

Quality - 10/10
Value - 6/10
Performance - 7/10
Ease of install - 10/10

Thank you Usmcdoc14 for the opportunity to test these out!

Quote:

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 10-05-2012 at 03:23 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-22-2012, 05:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Jeebus dude, way to set the bar for the rest of us slackers.

Nice work mang!
post #7 of 13 Old 09-22-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Jeebus dude, way to set the bar for the rest of us slackers.

Nice work mang!
Sorry and Thanks, I had an easy tester . I am curious to see how everyone else feels about the Expel protection.

Quote:
post #8 of 13 Old 09-22-2012, 09:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Day by day review section.

Day 2 - Expel headlight protectors are starting to lose the weird milky, vein like imperfections that happened when they were being installed. Still think they look weird with the pie shaped pieces cut out of them. Will take some daylight pictures tomorrow to show some of this. I won't get to drive the Jeep much this weekend due to being on call at work, but during the week and next weekend I should see more time with them.
Just so people know I had to mark the set he got because I did not have enough "factory jk" sets to go around. The ones specifically for jk headlights come pre-notched and I traced it with a sharpie on the set he got. The notching is because of the thickness of the film and the huge ass dome on the factory housings.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
Just so people know I had to mark the set he got because I did not have enough "factory jk" sets to go around. The ones specifically for jk headlights come pre-notched and I traced it with a sharpie on the set he got. The notching is because of the thickness of the film and the huge ass dome on the factory housings.
Indeed, the mil sizing on the material is ridiculous. I actually pondered ballistic resistance (another review for Doc for another time ) of these covers... The wedges wouldn't affect anything, just looks a bit weird at first glance. As far as protection, these will do the job, think of these as Invisi-shield for your headlights. Very similar material as those high end smart phone/tablet screen covers. I just wonder how many people would buy into the looks of these covers along with the work to install them. Putting them in place OFF the vehicle sucked, I cannot imagine the joy involved in doing it with the grille blocking you on the edges. Once in place, I have no doubt that your assemblies would hold up well with them in place. More to follow...

Quote:
post #10 of 13 Old 09-22-2012, 10:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Indeed, the mil sizing on the material is ridiculous. I actually pondered ballistic resistance (another review for Doc for another time ) of these covers... The wedges wouldn't affect anything, just looks a bit weird at first glance. As far as protection, these will do the job, think of these as Invisi-shield for your headlights. Very similar material as those high end smart phone/tablet screen covers. I just wonder how many people would buy into the looks of these covers along with the work to install them. Putting them in place OFF the vehicle sucked, I cannot imagine the joy involved in doing it with the grille blocking you on the edges. Once in place, I have no doubt that your assemblies would hold up well with them in place. More to follow...
Yep, I have that stuff on my phone and will have it one every phone that I buy - why the hell not on the headlights.... although I have not had a headlight busted out... or real need for the film at all really. You can get it in a tinted version, if you are in to that sorta thing. I can't imagine wanting to reduce any light from the front.

I would not recommend installing that stuff with the headlights installed on the Jeep... too much can go wrong and they are not cheap. Plus, as JK said, it would be a PITA - especially on the contoured Jeep housings.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

10 days!!! Give or take...

Bumpity bump bump!!! 10 days have been up! Last place holder has been updated!

Quote:
post #12 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Rock God

Check out my IPF headlights at the next Meet & Greet and see what you think. Well worth it for the price.

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #13 of 13 Old 04-11-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Indeed, the mil sizing on the material is ridiculous. I actually pondered ballistic resistance (another review for Doc for another time ) of these covers... The wedges wouldn't affect anything, just looks a bit weird at first glance. As far as protection, these will do the job, think of these as Invisi-shield for your headlights. Very similar material as those high end smart phone/tablets screen covers. I just wonder how many people would buy into the looks of these covers along with the work to install them. Putting them in place OFF the vehicle sucked, I cannot imagine the joy involved in doing it with the grille blocking you on the edges. Once in place, I have no doubt that your assemblies would hold up well with them in place. More to follow...
Yes pretty hard to install. We should only by things which we can install perfectly otherwise take assistance of experts

Last edited by LewisMcbride; 04-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode