Polyfill - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Polyfill

Any difference between the stuff sold for audio or the stuff sold to stuff pillows and dolls? Only reason I'm asking is because they sell the later locally...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nope. I got mine a Michaels.
post #3 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Wheeler

how much is required for each front speaker box...in lbs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 10:37 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I stuffed the stock sound bar and the sub enclosure in my new Jeep after seeing a post about it making the sound better. The difference was shocking and I used two, $2.50 pillows that I bought at Wal-Mart when I went on a late night bug spray run.

I've always just used some form of cotton polyfill in system boxes and it works just fine. No reason to buy the re-branded stuff IMO.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 10:39 AM
JKO Addict!

I'll have to try this

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I stuffed the stock sound bar and the sub enclosure in my new Jeep after seeing a post about it making the sound better. The difference was shocking and I used two, $2.50 pillows that I bought at Wal-Mart when I went on a late night bug spray run.

I've always just used some form of cotton polyfill in system boxes and it works just fine. No reason to buy the re-branded stuff IMO.

Marcus
This is on my weekend to do list. Did it on the last jeep, its not a bad "upgrade" for 5 bucks.
post #7 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 11:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post

Marcus
*runs to the craft store since wallmart doesn't exist in san francisco*

Info:

|
post #8 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 11:42 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

One of the very first things I did was replace the stock speakers with Infinty Ref Series coaxials and stuff the pods/bar with polyfill after laying down Damplifier in them. Those three things changed the sound immensely. Adding the new head unit with more power and the SAS Bazooka rounded the system out. It sounds amazing now. I'd recommend rolling in some Dynamat or Damplifier before the polyfill. The hollow, plastic sound totally disappears after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #9 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Rock God

$4 16 oz bag from WalMart did my soundbar the other day and have enough left to do the front speakers. They sell just the polyfill in the fabric section. Definitely worth the time and effort to do.
post #10 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 02:12 PM
JKO Addict!

So how does this work, explain.

Remove the speakers and jam the space it full of this fluffy shit? Why are you doing this?
post #11 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 02:29 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post

Remove the speakers and jam the space it full of this fluffy shit? Why are you doing this?
The polyfill kills standing soundwaves and resonance. Which is far worse with those plastic housings...

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #12 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 02:55 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillidge View Post

That's right. Pull the speakers out of the sound bar and stuff that puppy.

Do the same with the sub.

All of the speakers have a little bit of glue holding them in along with the torx screws so you need to pull them out with a little heave-ho. I used a little allen wrench to pull the sub out. There's a slot in the bottom section that you can slide one into.

Marcus

post #13 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Rock God

does the shit get wet and start to stink when you guys pull the tops off?

07' Unlimited X
PSC Bumpers F/R
8k Warn winch
2.5" RK Max Travel
35" MTR's
5:13 yukons
Sleeved/Gusseted front
Dynomax pre-axle exhaust
post #14 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 03:38 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

No, it's enclosed within the pods and soundbar. Unless you have shitty paper cone speakers...

Quote:
post #15 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 04:46 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm going to have to give this a whirl. Thanks guys.
post #16 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

Gonna give this a go.. What about the 'upgrade' speakers for the sound bar available on amazon for like $60ish..

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
and other Web Properties

post #17 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 06:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by artayay View Post
Gonna give this a go.. What about the 'upgrade' speakers for the sound bar available on amazon for like $60ish..
Which system you have?

I would try the cheap polyfil first if you don't like it, then upgrade too.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #18 of 43 Old 09-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Wheeler

i'm replacing the stock infinity speakers with the $70 Kickers and polyfill tomorrow, so let's see how much of a diff there will be.
post #19 of 43 Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I stuffed my sound bar with polyfill from Wal-Mart. It used almost 2 bags and makes a huge difference. I also replaced the factory speakers with the $70 dollar Kicker upgrades. Definitely the best bang for the buck. I lined my soundbar with Dynamat too. It takes out a lot of the vibration from the plastic enclosure if you like more bass or play the music loud to overcome wind noise but it's not necessary if you're trying toupgrade on the cheap.

Ron
post #20 of 43 Old 09-15-2012, 05:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Looks like I have a project this weekend. Thanks for the thread
post #21 of 43 Old 09-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Rock God

The only difference I know of, is that the audio stuff that I have used is formed into a mat 1-2" thick for sticking to the inside of speaker boxes. (From when I built my own speakers for the home theatre system.)

Must get some & try it in the car!
post #22 of 43 Old 09-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Granite Guru

I'll also add for the older guy's (like me) the screws are a Torx T15. Looking up at all that black can be a tad frustrating.
post #23 of 43 Old 09-15-2012, 07:08 PM
JKO Addict!

I bought a 4 lb bag today...... Think I have enough
post #24 of 43 Old 09-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Wheeler

i ended up using ~ 2 x 20oz bags for the 4 speakers and sub. Huge improvement? Nope, at least not to my half deaf ears, but the sound is definitely less "hollow", so definitely worth the $10.
post #25 of 43 Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
The only difference I know of, is that the audio stuff that I have used is formed into a mat 1-2" thick for sticking to the inside of speaker boxes.
You can get the craft store stuff in rolls like that also. They use it to make quilts. It's a lot cheaper than the speaker stuff too.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode