Rigid wiring - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Rigid wiring

I need to extend my rigid wiring so it will go from rear to front and I need to know what gauge wire to use and the best kind of wire to use. Thank you!

JK ready for the build but the pockets aint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 01:39 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchmelo View Post
I need to extend my rigid wiring so it will go from rear to front and I need to know what gauge wire to use and the best kind of wire to use. Thank you!
Rigid lights don't pull hardly anything for current so you can get away with 14-16 ga. wire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Could I technically get away with using the same wire for both positive and ground hook ups? Not like with one wire but two wires just same type of wire

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 02:24 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Yes, you can run a single pair of 14's back there and split near the lights sharing a single positive and negative from front to back. I ran jacketed 18 ga. for all of my LED lights and haven't had a single issue, however, I have home runs to each light, over a larger home run that splits at each pair of lights.

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Sorry for being dumb but what type of wire all Im finding is speaker wire.

post #6 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 04:32 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchmelo View Post
Sorry for being dumb but what type of wire all Im finding is speaker wire.
Go to an auto parts store or even Walmart, they will all carry auto wiring. In Walmart it's in the auto section near the lights/fuses/etc.

14 gauge may be a little overkill, 16 gauge will do the job just fine and is much easier to handle than 14. Depending on which lights you are using, 18 gauge will be fine too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Awesome thank you!!!

post #8 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 05:00 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Go to an auto parts store or even Walmart, they will all carry auto wiring. In Walmart it's in the auto section near the lights/fuses/etc.

14 gauge may be a little overkill, 16 gauge will do the job just fine and is much easier to handle than 14. Depending on which lights you are using, 18 gauge will be fine too.
Such is life Phil, I was thinking 16-18 originally, but, my luck he also adds a bunch of other shit to that circuit like regular halogen lights and turns it into a heating element and burns his Jeep to the ground. Then i'm the asshole. I'd rather give a wiring noob overkill right out of the gate for safety sake...

Quote:
post #9 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I went with 14. And I'm just running a RI srm light on it. So I know it will be good thanks for the info guys!

post #10 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM
JKowners Vendor

Extending your light wiring...

What Rigids are you running? It does make a difference whether they are Duallys D2, 10", or 50" and how many lights on one circuit.
Look at the chart on the right. I would say if you have a 4 door, you are looking at about 15' or so. If they are Dually D2's, figure they come with a 10 amp fuse, then according to the chart 16AWG minimum. These are just close approximates. It does not hurt to go one gauge size up.
Also, another good trick is to use your frame rails as a conduit for all your cables, coax, airlines, wiring Etc....it's the perfect out-of-the-way conduit!
Call or email me and I will send you one of our tips-n-tricks trifolds for future reference.
As far as wire goes, you want to use a multi-strand copper wire with good insulation. Like the guys said above, you can go to Walmart, go into the auto section, go to where the trailer accessories are and pick up a roll of trailer wiring. it's 4 conductor, Yellow, Brown, Green and White. You can find it in 14AWG as well as 16AWG. pull it all through the frame and leave the extra there for other electrical goodies!
Attached Images

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
post #11 of 12 Old 09-12-2012, 07:41 PM
JTG
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JTG

Leave it to John to come through!
post #12 of 12 Old 09-13-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks spod. I was just hooking up an srm light to the rear and went with 14 ga. So I think it's good only took about 30 min to run wires and hook everything up. Very happy with the light!! Small and powerful!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode