My headlights suck, what is the best option for improvement? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 09-07-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My headlights suck, what is the best option for improvement?

2012 JKU Rubicon.

My headlights really suck.

What are the options for improvement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Rock God

You have several options.

1 - replace the bulbs - will help, but not a lot.
2 - put in an HID kit (in stock reflectors)
3 - change the housings (would recommend a harness as well)
4 - projector HID setup
5 - go to LEDs

Of those I've done 1, 2, 3 and have ordered #4 (should arrive in a few weeks).

New bulbs are ok. HID kit is a massive difference, but I wouldn't recommend it. Changing the housings is your best price effective option. However the issue I ran into was that the housings ran too hot (light was amazing though), and when wheeling around mud/water cracked both. Issue with the housings is that you cannot turn off the DRL. If a programmer had been available I might have just replaced the Hella housings - they were that good. However one wasn't available... so it gave me a great excuse to order a HID projector setup from HIDprojectors here (vendor).

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop

Last edited by Riptide; 09-08-2012 at 12:24 AM.
post #3 of 53 Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Cibie upgrade from daniel stern lighting...
Hella upgrade from rally lights...
Trucklites led headlight upgrade. (I have they kick ass over stock but pricey.)
Jw speaker led upgrade. (more spendy than Trucklites.)

Other than that, lots opinions on what is best buy For money.

Don't waste money upgrading bulbs in stock housing, just putting lipstick on a pig.

Steer clear of hid upgrades that use stock housing. More light from a suck housing does not not make things at much better.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 09-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Slow and Low

HID Projectors V2. Hands down, best light for the money!
post #5 of 53 Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
would definitely agree that the Hella Rally Lights upgrade kit from Susquehanna Motorsports is a night-and-day difference from stock and an easy upgrade.
post #6 of 53 Old 09-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Rock God

I have had the IPF housing with the H4 bulbs for almost 2 years now without any problems. The light output is good, they are not expensive and the instal is quick and easy.
post #7 of 53 Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Rock God

im going led but havent decided on jw speaker or the truck-lite. but led is the way to go imo

VE7 ESH
post #8 of 53 Old 09-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I want to spend my $ on something besides LED. I went with Delta Quad Bar Xenon headlights. Around $150. Super easy install, glass lense, and they work much better than OEM.
post #9 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Wheeler

Cibie headlights with good globes - not cheap, but they are great lights.
Daniel Stern or Ebay - but what ever way you go, upgrade the wiring and use relays.
It really is worth the effort.

From the Land Downunder
2011 Detonator Yellow JKU
Diesel Engine
Mopar 2" Lift, Warn Winch, AEV Snorkel, Mopar Front Bar, Mopar Rear Bar and Tyre Carrier, Cibie Z Beam Headlights.
post #10 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post

Other than that, lots opinions on what is best buy For money.

Don't waste money upgrading bulbs in stock housing, just putting lipstick on a pig.

Steer clear of hid upgrades that use stock housing. More light from a suck housing does not not make things at much better.
I went with Cibie from Daniel Stern. Stock wattage bulbs for longevity, made my own pig tails and used stock harness (hence the stock wattage) and the results 3 years later....

NOTHING SHORT OF AMAZING! Most important safety upgrade you can make. I've never experienced poorer stock headlights in over 30 years of driving! Just horrible. Gotta love eCode lights!

AdamIsAdam

Adam
First Jeep:

(heavily modded and wheeled!)
Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
Wrangler MT/R 35x12.5x15 on Soft 8's for the trails.
Duratrac 35" on Dick Cepek's for DD'ers.
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...
post #11 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by popojk View Post
I want to spend my $ on something besides LED. I went with Delta Quad Bar Xenon headlights. Around $150. Super easy install, glass lense, and they work much better than OEM.
Same here....and I got my delta's for like 119 bucks !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #12 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Rock God

Something to keep in mind with that 2012. There's no programmer yet to turn off the daytime running lights. Any light that uses a harness will always be on. If you wheel and go through mud/water, don't get a light with a glass lens. This is probably the only time I'd say not to look at Cibies or Hella's. Look at HIDs or LEDs.

I'm glad I didn't fork out the money for Cibies initially, as I'd just be replacing them now anyway.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #13 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Granite Guru

Rallylights just came out with three new options including a Bi-Haloen high-low option, a Bi-Xenon HID option, and LED option. They are a bit pricey but may be an option as well.
post #14 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Wheeler

I'm confused- what's this talk of drl's? I have a 2012 and no drl's for me. Is it a regional thing?

At any rate, I have the hidprojectors kit(the second kit with the larger projectors) and they are amazing. I went with a factory-looking all chrome setup and they make a world of difference without looking too flashy. Perfect for me.
post #15 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso77 View Post
I'm confused- what's this talk of drl's? I have a 2012 and no drl's for me. Is it a regional thing?

At any rate, I have the hidprojectors kit(the second kit with the larger projectors) and they are amazing. I went with a factory-looking all chrome setup and they make a world of difference without looking too flashy. Perfect for me.

My 2012 rubi doesn't have drls either thank God. I upgraded my headlights to the 2nd gen trucklites and I am very happy with them. I can't wait to ditch my stock bumper with stock fogs since they do not match the black housing look of my headlights.
post #16 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Rock God

I have Hellas h4 conversion lamps. i made my own harness adapters from the old bulbe. just cut off the glass and sodered on an h4 socket which is cheap from just about any autoparts shop. then I put in halogen 55/100w bulbs. great highbeam output. the high beam is for offroad use only .

I also run KC 100 driving lamps. this lights up really well. just need pillar flood lights for lighting up aimed at about 45 degrees to the sides. then rock led light underneath. DONE with lights. what more do you need?

Eventually I will upgrade to all LED lighting but those are not that reasonable yet. I like my money so I will wait till pricing is better.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #17 of 53 Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Granite Guru

For those that are avoiding LEDs, what's the reason?

2007 JK Unlimited
TeraFlex 6inch Long Arm
Front EVO Double Throw Down Coilover + Triple Bypass
PR44 HD Unlimited w/Reids and RCV's
RockJock D60 Rear
37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
Red Rock Fab Front bumper w/light tabs
EVO Tire Carrier and Skins
GenRight Full Cage - in progress
4inch HID's
Lowrance Baja 540 GPS
post #18 of 53 Old 09-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoPo View Post
For those that are avoiding LEDs, what's the reason?
I personally do not think LEDs are where they need to be for me to invest in them. Likely in another few years perhaps. But for someone whos picky about lights, I'm still hearing complaints about LEDs (both JW and TL gen 2).

The HIDs that Tom sold me were still 30% less than what most LEDs seem to be going for.

As for those with something that's using a harness, you're able to drive without your headlights on? Only way I can do that is with my ebreak pulled up 1 click.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

post #19 of 53 Old 09-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
.... If you wheel and go through mud/water, don't get a light with a glass lens. This is probably the only time I'd say not to look at Cibies or Hella's.

I'm glad I didn't fork out the money for Cibies initially, as I'd just be replacing them now anyway.
Why? I've been up to my headlights once in water without issue. And that's a LOT of water! What's the concern with the glass lenses?

AdamIsAdam

Adam
First Jeep:

(heavily modded and wheeled!)
Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
Wrangler MT/R 35x12.5x15 on Soft 8's for the trails.
Duratrac 35" on Dick Cepek's for DD'ers.
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...
post #20 of 53 Old 09-10-2012, 07:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
HID Projectors V2. Hands down, best light for the money!
I have to agree with this statement. I absolutely hated the stock headlights. First thing I changed actually. Went with the IPF H4 set-up and it was definitely an improvement over stock. But still not quite the output I was looking for. Guess I got spoiled by the OEM Bi-Xenons that were in my VW R32. Recently installed the HID Projectors V2 w/ 35W Ballasts and 6000k bulbs and holy shit! I can see! And the fact that Tom can customize them just about anyway you could possibly want makes them that much better. Definitely a must have if you're looking for better lighting.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #21 of 53 Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Short, I want to see this on your jeep. I've been flirting with the idea of changing mine out.

Bryan
post #22 of 53 Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 AM

Thumbs up i did the hids also

i did the hids also, but went with 55 watt ballasts, 6000k bi xenon bulbs and they are great, no problems, been on there for 2 years now.the key is too have the correct harness, and good grounds.

Last edited by getgo; 09-10-2012 at 07:35 AM.
post #23 of 53 Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
Short, I want to see this on your jeep. I've been flirting with the idea of changing mine out.

Bryan
I'll have to meet up with you somewhere one night so you can check them out. I'm pretty impressedwith them so far. I aimed them Saturday night, but probably need to bring them down a hair, as I think I'm still annoying people at this point.

Actually...now that I think about it....we need to go hog hunting one night. Then you can see the headlights & a-pillars in action.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #24 of 53 Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Yes indeed on the hunt and that would be a great time to see them.

Bryan
post #25 of 53 Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
Why? I've been up to my headlights once in water without issue. And that's a LOT of water! What's the concern with the glass lenses?
I've been up there a couple times and every time I've hit deeper water I've cracked the headlight more and more. Drivers side has 5-6 cracks, while the passenger side has 2-3.

I'm thinking it must be a regional thing... because the moment I put on the harness, my lights were always on. Even if I left them off. The moment I put it in drive, on they come.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode