Dual battery install and relocation. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Dual battery install and relocation.

I, like you, wanted dual batteries. I, like you, like to cut at virgin new sheet metal.
So after figuring where I wanted the bat system I saw that after upgrading my exhaust system I had this HUGE gaping area under the ass of my JK. This combined with that storage area being way to damm small I set to work.

Blessed be thine sawz-all

I found that a 40mm ammo can fits 2 Odysseys PERFECT. so instead of having to fabricate an entire new box from scratch I went and used one box and welded another cut down one to its end to make it as wide as the old storage area. this gives me a nice deep storage "box" next to it. the new storage area is bigger AND I get dual batteries
The ammo cans also have a diagonal reinforcement on them and are a decent thickness.

This is as I was tacking it all in place

Oh ya, I figured this would be a rock magnet so it got armor before installation. 3/16 plate bottom and front edge should keep damage to a minimum. I added speed holes to be like the cool kids

2 batteries, a Hellroaring isolator/combiner, a 500amp fuse and block for the 2ga running to the front, a breaker for the new amps all stuffed in a small package.

I went and tossed some plexiglass on top it just for the heck of it even though I have covered on every pos terminal. its better to be safe than sorry.

all holes are grommited, all wire armored and every connection (besides one ground that I am too lazy to fix) marine grade sealed.

Up front where the old battery was is a distribution block with everything connected there. that space I have not figured out what I want to toss there.

Oh and I ran a plug for when I need to jump start someone I will add another to the rear later.

questions, comments, concerns?

Last edited by usmcdoc14; 04-11-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Nice work! And good use of the dead space there... (meaning the useless trunk area)

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Alec W

Nice work. I plan on doing exactly the same thing. Where did you run the 2ga? I was thinking about running mine inside the frame rails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Nice work. I plan on doing exactly the same thing. Where did you run the 2ga? I was thinking about running mine inside the frame rails.
on top of the passenger frame rail. I was going to run it inside but it would have been a PITA with the spiral loom/protector I have over it.

The location is perfect, with the box being like 9"ish deep it keeps the batteries well protected, the bottom above the lowest point of the bumper and the "side box" makes me have more storage than before.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Rock God

I like it! Did you provide for drainage or is it perfectly sealed? That damn area for me collects water even when I'm driving in the desert. They should've come self-bailing from the factory.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
on top of the passenger frame rail. I was going to run it inside but it would have been a PITA with the spiral loom/protector I have over it.

The location is perfect, with the box being like 9"ish deep it keeps the batteries well protected, the bottom above the lowest point of the bumper and the "side box" makes me have more storage than before.
The space looks perfect for a ready welder and gloves etc.. I wish I had a money tree
post #7 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
I like it! Did you provide for drainage or is it perfectly sealed? That damn area for me collects water even when I'm driving in the desert. They should've come self-bailing from the factory.
1/4 holes on the backside bottom and connecting holes for all 3 compartments.

oh and everything is painted and then undercoated.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Rock God

That quick connect is also a great way to hook up your winch with an absolute on-off switch.

post #9 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
That quick connect is also a great way to hook up your winch with an absolute on-off switch.
too much of a pain to do as I have remote mounted the relay pack under the hood out of the weather. That would be like another 12 feet of 2ga

and its odd but I swear I feel a change in handling. Not in a bad way just a change.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
too much of a pain to do as I have remote mounted the relay pack under the hood out of the weather. That would be like another 12 feet of 2ga

and its odd but I swear I feel a change in handling. Not in a bad way just a change.
Just hook the big cables running into the winch to the quick connect with another quick connect. Plug the winch in when you need it, unplug it when you don't. It'll never fire up unasked.

post #11 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Just hook the big cables running into the winch to the quick connect with another quick connect. Plug the winch in when you need it, unplug it when you don't. It'll never fire up unasked.
the solenoid pack is under the hood NOT on the winch any more so I would have to run line from the distribution block to the bumper and the quick connect and then from there back to the solenoid pack..
like I said in MY application it would suck now if you had a "normal" winch wiring job it would work well.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 08:13 PM
dsy
Granite Guru

Looks great Doc. I really need to do this myself.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
post #13 of 17 Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Hey I like that a lot! My have been back there for a year. I used 2/0 wire though and I had to pay for a wood storage tub. I like the plug idea, nice and easy. Where did you get it and how much?

You might have noticed the differance becuase of the hundred extra pounds in the rear. Or you alternator might be working overtime because of the 2 guage. It's a long round trip back to the trunk.

I would not think you would notice it under normal load, but the higher the load you put on it the higher the voltage drop. I used 2/0 because of the winch.
Attached Images

post #14 of 17 Old 04-12-2009, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edivebuddy View Post
Hey I like that a lot! My have been back there for a year. I used 2/0 wire though and I had to pay for a wood storage tub. I like the plug idea, nice and easy. Where did you get it and how much?
they are called anderson connectors and can be picked up at any forklift place or ebay. they are universal (there is no male and female)
post #15 of 17 Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

forklift? Well my brother in law fixes and sells forklifts for a living Time to get on the phone!
post #16 of 17 Old 04-12-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edivebuddy View Post
forklift? Well my brother in law fixes and sells forklifts for a living Time to get on the phone!
yup, its what they use to connect the batteries on the electric ones. these are the 300 amp size (they are sized by amp) and come in many colors. just make sure you get the housing and the connectors (2 connectors per housing) and dont mess up and insert the connectors into the back of the housing till you are ready and have the right polarity for that slot as they are a PITA to take apart
post #17 of 17 Old 04-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
yup, its what they use to connect the batteries on the electric ones. these are the 300 amp size (they are sized by amp) and come in many colors. just make sure you get the housing and the connectors (2 connectors per housing) and dont mess up and insert the connectors into the back of the housing till you are ready and have the right polarity for that slot as they are a PITA to take apart
Thanks alot, I really like this idea.

Last edited by edivebuddy; 04-12-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode