ARB Dual Compressor Install woes - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ARB Dual Compressor Install woes

I found this on another post/forum regarding finding switched 12v and dimmable power:

Quote Originally Posted by phouck View Post
No problem "ron". I like your clean install for getting switchable power and will likely use it in the future. For this application, I did disassemble the dash, which isn't all that difficult, and used my multimeter to find the dimmable dash light wiring that I needed. I spliced into the Blue w/ purple wire coming out of the cig lighter for switchable power and into the orange w/ grey wire coming from the electric mirror control for dimmable light. Now, my switch lights up when the headlights are turned on and are dimmable with the rest of the dash lights.

I did just this and hooked up my power to the battery for the compressor and nothing. Now the cigar lighter i spliced into doesn't work and I no longer read 12v on the electric mirror but the mirrors work. Would you guys have any input on what would be going on? I noticed in the ARB instructions that it said to hook up THE red wire to the battery not BOTH red wires. I don't think this has anything to do with it though.

Thanks in Advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 09:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You need to connect both big red wires to the battery.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Where did you connect your ground?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Rock God

You either need to splice the red/yellow wire into your ignition wiring or run it to the positive terminal on your battery along with the red wire used to power your compressor. That will actually make the isolation switch (the rocker switch) do its job. The result will be the same regardless of which method you choose, but if you splice into your ignition wiring you mitigate the risk of draining your battery, as you cannot run the compressor without your Jeep on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Rock God

Also, yes, check your ground. Make sure you've run the ground to the body of your jeep. Pick a place with exposed metal (as opposed to one covered in paint). There are quite a few good spots under the hood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well i checked the fuse and it was shot. I robbed another 20A plugged it in and smoke started coming from the switch and the fuse blew again. I checked that the wiring on the back of the fuse was correct, unplugged it, replugged it, then robbed another fuse and that blew. I pulled apart the dash again, checked the connections to the cig lighter and mirrors to see if it was grounding somewhere, traced all the wire i put in from the switch and battery and didn't see any grounding going on. so now i'm stumped again.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i ran both reds and the black to the battery. I soldered the small black to the big black and ran that to the neg term on the battery and of course the 2 reds to the red term on the battery. Per the ARB installation guide, it said I could crimp a fitting onto the small and big black wires and run those to the neg term. on the battery. So I figured I could just solder the small black one to the big black one and run that to the neg term and that would be the same.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-01-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by illyb View Post
You either need to splice the red/yellow wire into your ignition wiring or run it to the positive terminal on your battery along with the red wire used to power your compressor. That will actually make the isolation switch (the rocker switch) do its job. The result will be the same regardless of which method you choose, but if you splice into your ignition wiring you mitigate the risk of draining your battery, as you cannot run the compressor without your Jeep on.
I ran the red/yellow to the cig lighter. I have a 2012 so I only have the one on the right hand side. Forgot to mention before that the fan on the compressor did come on before the fuse blew if that makes a difference and I could control that with the switch.

Last edited by Kf4pwb; 09-01-2012 at 09:53 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kf4pwb View Post
I ran the red/yellow to the cig lighter. I have a 2012 so I only have the one on the right hand side. Forgot to mention before that the fan on the compressor did come on before the fuse blew if that makes a difference and I could control that with the switch.
Problem solved, it was grounding out. I didnt use the clip that came in a plastic bag taped to the loom and the leads were touching each other. Duuuuhhhh, idiot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode