stock fog light bulbs are nuts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-01-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

stock fog light bulbs are nuts

i cant believe they put $ 50.00 bulb on these jeep, my viper fog lights bulbs are just 8 bux, what are these people thinking, going with such a weird bulb size that can only be had at the dealer. they changed after 2009, just venting, refuse to give them 100 bux for 2 bulbs i will do with out them. its just retarted.

Last edited by getgo; 09-01-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Rock God

If you have the PSX24W globes like my '08, then you can get them on ebay for under $20 each.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Granite Guru

My dealer nailed me for $35 for one, so you are getting ripped off. True about the ebay though. I like keeping the stock fogs on my Poison Spider front bumper vs. doing the Rigid conversion or the likes, so that i have something to use on the streets but yeah WTH with those bulbs.

I think the new Cameros and some other GM vehicles use them. Surprised you can't find em at any parts store.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

YAY, I'm a forum refugee!
2011 JKU SPORT w/track-loc
4" SkyJacker L.A kit, modified... ... ...
Off Road Evolution drag link flip kit with SJ drop pitman arm. 35 BFG Muds. Level 8 wheels. Katzkin leather interior. Warn VR-10,000-s winch. Lazerstar LED 10" fog and driving lights. IPF headlights. Jeetops sunroof inserts for Freedom top. Poison Spyder Rock-Brawler front bumper, Rocker Knockers side rails and rear Tire carrier. G2 5.13 gears. AFE cat-back, stage2 intake and programmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I get my replacement fog light bulbs for my 07 in my brawer lite at Auto Zone ??? did they change to an OEM Mopar only bulb ?

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #5 of 15 Old 09-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
I get my replacement fog light bulbs for my 07 in my brawer lite at Auto Zone ??? did they change to an OEM Mopar only bulb ?
Yeah, the cool thing about their bumpers is the factory housing bolts directly onto them. So, sounds like 2008ish and up have a different housing that only takes that stupid bulb.

YAY, I'm a forum refugee!
2011 JKU SPORT w/track-loc
4" SkyJacker L.A kit, modified... ... ...
Off Road Evolution drag link flip kit with SJ drop pitman arm. 35 BFG Muds. Level 8 wheels. Katzkin leather interior. Warn VR-10,000-s winch. Lazerstar LED 10" fog and driving lights. IPF headlights. Jeetops sunroof inserts for Freedom top. Poison Spyder Rock-Brawler front bumper, Rocker Knockers side rails and rear Tire carrier. G2 5.13 gears. AFE cat-back, stage2 intake and programmer
post #6 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

will try e bay

did not buy them at the dealer ,walked a way at 49 and some change. will try e bay.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBucko View Post
Yeah, the cool thing about their bumpers is the factory housing bolts directly onto them. So, sounds like 2008ish and up have a different housing that only takes that stupid bulb.

My 07 housings bolt right into my Poison Spyder bumper.....sounds strange that a fog light bulb is a mopar only item !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #8 of 15 Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
.... did they change to an OEM Mopar only bulb ?
The bulb itself is standardized but the coding of the base is OEM specific, the Mopar PSX24W has a PG20-7 base, the GM PS24W has a PG20-3 base. You could get the GM bulb to fit by removing a coding tab but price wise there seems to be no improvement with the GM bulbs.

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #9 of 15 Old 09-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Granite Guru

The fogs on my 2008 are 9145s according to the owners manual. They are $20 almost anywhere. Are yours different?

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #10 of 15 Old 09-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Vin
Granite Guru

They changed the bulbs (and the housing) in 2010. I found a set from a 2007 (with pigtails) on Ebay and swapped them out.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Wheeler

Thought I'd update this thread after resorting to searching one of those other forums at the auto parts store today. One of my fog light bulbs blew, and I thought it would be an easy fix... head over to Advance Auto and pick up a $4 bulb. Boy, was I mistaken!

The replacement Sylvania bulb, part number 2504, is not carried in any parts store (yet), and it looks like dealers are capitalizing on that fact to the tune of $48 PER BULB! Even if parts stores do eventually get them, the bulbs will be $25 per bulb, and nothing to write home about at only 24w.

I'm going back to ME this week, and I need the fogs to work (crapy weather forecast, and I'm waiting till after the holidays to get a set of Trucklites), so I wanted a replacement bulb. As it turns out, Sylvania part number 2502 will work, it just needs a few tabs trimmed.

Two of the tabs, the ones on the outer ring, weren't difficult to trim at all, it was the tab on the inner ring that was tough. An exacto knife and a lot of patience did the trick - snapped in like it was meant to be there, and it works fine.

Hopefully my mentioning those part numbers will help someone else in my situation without having to commit he unspeakable act of visiting another forum!

Tyler R. - Ansonia, CT
Silver '12 JKRU
6-speed, soft top, 2.5" TF Lift, 35" Treadwright Guard Dogs, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, Superwinch TS9500 winch, M.O.R.E. oil pan/trans skid, Skid Row exhaust loop skid, Dominion evap relocation,*Smittybilt Oversized Tiire Carrier and Cibie headlights.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Rock God

You can also get them as LED versions from under $5 on eBay. Price will determine quality, of course... Just run a search for "LED PSX24W".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Granite Guru

I've been doing some searching on this and other Jeep forums about the LED replacements. some have said they flicker, otehrs have said they had to add resistors to fool the ECM into leaving them active.
Anyone have a definitive answer as to whether the LED replacements play nice with the 2011 computer?
post #14 of 15 Old 12-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I just installed a pair of LED bulbs from Fyre Fly ( http://www.fyreflys.com ) onto my stock Fog Light harness on my 2010 JKR. I purchased from his eBay listing. These bulbs have the resistors.

They do not throw enough light to be used as FOG lights persay, but neither did the factory. I use them as DRLs, so the LEDs fit the bill fine.

This vendor is in TX and was quick to replace a bulb that got damaged in shipping. It was a good experience.

Last edited by numb_crna; 12-24-2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: forgot something
post #15 of 15 Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to jlagross
psx24w

I did a lot of research on this subject , and found the following site.

http://www.formula-j87.com/servlet/t...adlight/Detail

I found these and ordered a few, ive had two blow in two years, but they are honestly brighter than stock

you do have to cut off a tab from the side though.

Hope this helps everybody!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode