No power to heating and cooling - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-25-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

No power to heating and cooling

I don't know what happened but in the last week the entire heating and cooling system has gone out - no lights on the controls, no blower fan, nothing. I've checked all the apparently relevant fuses but don't see what is the cause. Anyone had similar issues? Maybe give me some idea where to look next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

First is the TIPM fuse #m34 (a 10amp fuse) there is also a run relay in the TIPM, check relay connection 86 and 30 for power, if power is good check relay, if relay is good then check the pk/yl wire at the back of the ac control - if previous check has power, then you should have power at the pk/yl wire. Also check for ground at the bk/wt wire on back of the ac control, this is the ground wire.

At this point it gets a little tougher because the problem then could be in either the cluster or the ac control panel itself, and will take a little further testing to determine which one is the culprit.

But first make sure its not the wiring from the TIPM - more common problem.

Also reply back with year, etc, and if any recent work has been done especially electrical in nature. I assumed an 09 JKU. But unless its a 2012 wire colors should be the same.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

2008 JKU, no recent work done. I'll follow through on these suggestions and reply back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Granite Guru

Check all fuses related to your Year make and model...
I can run through the online diagrams and tell ya where to look for the most likely causes.
if nothing else, bring it in to your dealer, ask them to hook it to witech and see what codes are set in the TIPM, its not unusual for a HVAC module to "die"
post #5 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Now I feel stupid but ... where is relay connection 86 and 30?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Now I'm totally confused... I haven't had a chance to investigate this issue but suddenly it started working again! Heat, AC, Defrost, it's all operational! I am glad it is but I hate phantom problems.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Mine's an '07, had same prob a while back..while a tech was trying to figure out my no-start prob he found a ground wire disconnected (no other info to offer on this)..anyway, took the heep after repaired wire thinking whatever that was, at least the thing is starting again. Turns out the ground wire must have been related to the same prob you're having b/c that was working again (which I did not expect) and soon after the mysterious no-start issue reared it's ugly head again. ??

This vehicle is making me crazy..and making me want to learn ALL about the tech aspects of the JK. Hate being in the dark!!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_blue View Post
Now I feel stupid but ... where is relay connection 86 and 30?
Sorry bout that.. All relay's have two main parts, one is the "coil" side, its the low amp switch part of the relay, and 85 and 86 are the "coil" leads, with 86 being the power side and 85 is ground. Then you have 87 and 30 which is the "switched" higher amp portion. 87 is power and 30 is the leg that goes to the load.
Just to mess things up, some relays have a fifth leg, 87a and some are numbered with 1,2,3,4 instead of the standard 85.86.87.30

Check out 12volt site here for more and better detail.

of course www dot the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram25.html

don't remember the rule on posting links

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Okay, so I think I've at least figured out what's going on even if I don't know how to fix it. I use a Superchips programmer and I've realized that when I program the Jeep for the trails using Superchips crawl tune is when my HVAC goes out. If I reprogram back to a mileage tune they resume working. Go figure! Now I know who's chain to rattle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode